Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Discuss Pellegrini

casualdeyna said:
dancity19 said:
It's been a hugely underwhelming start. Barring Newcastle, every game has been almost painful to watch, and exactly like the worst of last season.
There are basic things that aren't being done right, and in my opinion, Yaya isn't a central midfielder, but I'm not a football manager..!
I was a Mancini outer, purely due to the fact I didn't believe he got nearly enough out of the squad- just because I was a Mancini outer, though, doesn't mean I have to go to ridiculous lengths to defend everything Pellegrini does. We have looked poor. BUT, it is only 4 games in and that is far too early to judge.
We can't rely on Kompany at the moment, with his recent injury record there is no certainty he won't pick up another injury soon.

If we are still like this after 10-15 games then it may be time to worry. What originally looked like an ideal opportunity to win the league after early strengthening, and the departure of Ferguson, now looks like one of the hardest years to make the top 4 (for any team) with the buys of Spurs and the potential of Arsenal, given Girouds early scoring form and Ramseys. At a push you could even say Lpool are there or thereabouts, though I am sure they will soon drop off.

I still believe with Pellegrini's history of top man management and relative success in the champions league, that it will come good, BUT this has far from been the start I expected.

I agree with this, although I don't think we can afford to play as poorly for 10/15 games if we want to compete for trophies.

No...I was being kind and patient saying 10-15 games. We will have left it too late...

dancity19 said:
Is it time to expect a bit more from the players then. We blamed Mancini. But as this is so unlike a Pellegrini time, perhaps it's time for the players to properly step up.

The discussion about our players is an interesting one. My opinion hasn't changed since last season, I think the players have the required technical ability and mental strength to flourish. What they need is the right motivation and stimulation. Four games in, I'm not about to start thinking "hmmm, maybe the players are shit/don't care etc" because I just don't believe it.

We are trying to play differently to the way we played under Mancini. This change is one which is clearly taking more time to implement than some people would like.

BillyShears said:
waspish said:
BillyShears said:
It doesn't work like that though. Fundamentally it was broke because we won nothing last season and got made to look like fucking school children in the CL. To implement a new system, one which is more intensive on all the players, will take a little time. But once it's there we'll be better for it.

The best analogy I can draw is the transition Arsenal went through when Wenger came in. Some of their supporters derided his appointment in the same way some of ours are deriding Pellegrini's appointment.

Fair point about Wenger think his first season he finished mid-table would that be acceptable

Wenger finished 3rd in his first season and did the league and FA Cup double in his second.

Yep your right its was 1995..

also thats my minimum expectation from me for Pelegrini this season..

BillyShears said:
jrb said:
Just watched goals on Sunday.

Pulis and Reid both stated without hesitation that our build up play/play is far too slow and it allows other teams to get back into position.

Perhaps it's just me, but wasn't the same complaint about Mancini and his tactics?

When Pelegrini came I was expecting La Liga style footbal. Fast/high tempo, and turning the ball over quickly. Exactly like the performance against Bayern Munich.

Instead City/Pelegrini seems to..........

Completely agree with this ... baffling that we played with such tempo and verve against Newcastle and then have seemingly gone back into our shells subsequently. Plus the way we played yesterday or against Hull, even Cardiff ... I've never seen a team of Pellegrini's play in that manner.

Think the difference with the Newcastle game was having the confidence of Kompany behind them , also his organising and pushing them up

BillyShears said:
simon23 said:
im talking about laying everything at the door with everyone and turning it aournd that if its negative it must be because the person supported mancini (was a mancini inner if you like...i agree some of it is point socring but there are a lot of us who are rightly concerned purely because of when we see on the pitch and nothing else)

Got no idea what point you're trying to make. You asked a question, I answered it. The fact you didn't like the answer doesn't mean my answer was disingenuous. I told you what I thought, simple.

I've got no problem with anyone who's genuinely concerned and manages to express that concern with some level of intelligence. But as I've said there are posters in this thread who had made their minds up about Pellegrini before he was appointed. I won't be taking anything they post seriously.

When are we allowed to make up our minds then

cleavers said:
BillyShears said:
Marvin said:
Chelsea just lost at Everton with their first choice team out

On Friday Jamie Jackson in the Guardian described City as in the middle of a defensive injury crisis. In the circumstances we should be glad to have taken 4 points from 6. We've got out of jail. Perhaps we've ridden our luck, but that's part of football.

I'll keep banging the same drum ... but the league is much more competitive than it was last season from the bottom up. There are going to be no easy games, not just for us, but for everyone. Anyone who collects 80 points + will be the champions.
I wish we could get away from this obsession that its the defence is the problem, its not, its what's in front of it, or in fact what's not in front of it, and also its not our whole first striing defence that's out its half, the defence first choice is Zab Kompany Nastasic and Clichy. Demichellis was brought in as a panic buy because Kompany was out in my opinion, and that worked out well, not.

I agree that its going to be a harder league this year, but none of the new managers will be afforded time to get it right results wise, they will all come under scrutiny if they lose a game like we did at Cardiff. We need to be within 4 or 5 points of the top after 10 games regardless of "bedding in" time. That is now the level we are at. New players and managers will come and go, but all should be expected to come in and get on with it, if we truly are a top side.

It's a very simplistic argument, granted, but no matter how much more competitive the league might be, having spent the best part of £100m on already top squad, a squad that came second last season, FA cup final, and won the league the season before, and a new better manager, we shouldn't be struggling as much as we have done in the last 3 games.

bobmcfc said:
BillyShears said:
simon23 said:
im talking about laying everything at the door with everyone and turning it aournd that if its negative it must be because the person supported mancini (was a mancini inner if you like...i agree some of it is point socring but there are a lot of us who are rightly concerned purely because of when we see on the pitch and nothing else)

Got no idea what point you're trying to make. You asked a question, I answered it. The fact you didn't like the answer doesn't mean my answer was disingenuous. I told you what I thought, simple.

I've got no problem with anyone who's genuinely concerned and manages to express that concern with some level of intelligence. But as I've said there are posters in this thread who had made their minds up about Pellegrini before he was appointed. I won't be taking anything they post seriously.

When are we allowed to make up our minds then

You've already made your mind up ... :)

jrb said:
Just watched goals on Sunday.

Pulis and Reid both stated without hesitation that our build up play/play is far too slow and it allows other teams to get back into position.

Perhaps it's just me, but wasn't that the same complaint about Mancini and his tactics?

When Pelegrini came I was expecting La Liga style footbal. Fast/high tempo, and turning the ball over quickly. Exactly like the performance against Bayern Munich.

Instead City/Pelegrini seems to..........
Watching it as well,what they were saying is spot on,how have we went from first game of season against newcastle high tempo/pressing to what we have seen in the last three,injuries and tired players coming back from internationals are no excuse....

no particular axe to grind with pellegrini but i liked mancini and couldnt make sense of the why and how of his exit

pellegrini may well turn out to be a better manager but i think it sends a dangerous message to players of that class when the previous manager is sacked because he seemingly told them stuff they didnt want to hear and wasn't their best friend

i hope the lack of energy in our performances isn't because of this - fear of a bollocking is a pretty good motivator even if mancini may have got the balance wrong

blueparrot said:
Think the difference with the Newcastle game was having the confidence of Kompany behind them , also his organising and pushing them up

The problem in saying this is that people immediately jump up and scream "but that makes us a one man team" ... I happen to agree that losing Kompany and not having an adequate back up, then losing the one we sign to injury, has thrown a serious spanner in the works.

Everything good against Newcastle stemmed from Vinny pushing right up into midfield allowing Yaya and Fernandinho to press high up the field with confidence, thus creating the pressure we did and looking as fluid as we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.