Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvin said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Marvin said:
Turn what around?

We lost against the European Champions and are what 6th or 7th after a handful of games

Bonkers

Marv-The loss against Bayern is not a problem. The manner of the loss and the total lack of tactical nouse shown by the manager to stem the flow is what is concerning.As Fetters has said,If myself,my 12yr old lad and every other city fan could see what was happening,then why couldn't the boss?
He needs to turn our away form around.
The manner of the loss had nothing at all to do with tactics

Sorry Marvin but last nights loss had everything to do with tactics. We may have still lost had the right team and formation been in place but to choose to ignore our midfield being swamped for 70 minutes is wrong.
You have a point about our mentality in the CL and there are certainly games where our losses could be explained because of it, but last night? I don't think it was.

Pablo1 said:
kp789 said:
I despair at the level of some of the knee jerk comments on here.

Look at how Malaga started under Pellegrini, not great. Give the man time. Last night, he was tactically wrong and we have dropped stupid points at Stoke, Cardiff and Villa, but we are a team in transition from Mancini's very unique way of doing things into another contrast in Pellegrini. This does not just happen over night. Players need time to adapt to a new way of doing things as does the manager as he decides how to get the best out of his players. He has improved Kolarov and Nasri so far, give him time.

Rome was not built in a day. (Although we will probably get to 80% of building Rome and then give up and fill it with B&M bargains and poundlands with the typical city tag)
Whilst this is a fair way to look at it, the fact is we could already be out of the title race and Europe before the players adapt. So that means this season is a write off. I've read plenty on here since his arrival hinting that he's only going to be here two years anyway. So what happens if that's true and he has us playing how he wants for his last season, do we go through it all again the year after for a new man?
I'm far from convinced at the moment, though the manor in which last night played out probably has more to do with my negativity than anything else.
If he is only going to be here for 2 seasons then the whole venture is pointless, we should have kept Roberto on, or gone all out for Mourinho as an 'impact manager'. Im trying to look at the long term, it is frustrating and I think the two main areas that he needs to sort fast are the strike partnership and our midfield shape. Dzeko and Negredo cannot play together as Dzeko plays as the target man and does not give Negredo anything to play with, Negredo and Aguero is an awesome partnership, one which Negredo has come out and said he enjoys. The way we are set up with a 4-4-2 is not defensively sound at all. Yaya is so defensively lazy that it isnt even funny. This puts extra pressure on Fernandinho. Personally I would adapt a 4-5-1 and bring in Milner alongside Fernandinho as CDM's and then let Yaya play further forward, this way he does not have as heavy a defensive responsibility (not that he takes much interest in that part of the game anyway)

LoveCity said:
Players have to adapt and believe in the system and only then will we really see what Pellegrini's City is about. There have been flashes and promising signs, but the inconsistency is absolutely maddening and almost a curse on this club... inconsistency has been hurting us since Boxing Day 2011. Moyes at United isn't all that different, although whether he has the personnel to change things remains to be seen... remember his Everton, getting the better of us constantly and playing with great intensity... yet we slaughtered his United team despite them having better players than Everton (but none of the intensity and pressing).

Pellegrini tactically defeated Klopp with both teams playing 4-2-3-1 (... not 4-4-2) last season and Malaga should have reached the semis, yet Malaga had half the talent Pellegrini's City did against Bayern or Mancini's City did against Dortmund, both City teams being completely outplayed. But the players were all attuned to a system where it was one for all and all for one, and the hard work + system almost beat a superior set of players who also played in a strong system. Pellegrini's Malaga with Santa Cruz possibly playing would have given Bayern a much better game than we did yesterday. Demichelis and crew defended like gods against Dortmund.

Now, the question is whether he can get these players fully adjusted to his system and giving 100% all the time. You can see some of them like Nasri working really hard and trying but there are still problems... Yaya's work ethic considering the occasion last night was terrible. Starved of the ball but doing little off it with just 1 successful tackle while his much criticised midfield partner made mistakes but still worked hard and made 5 successful tackles. Pellegrini's ideal system needs BOTH central midfielders working their arses off all the time...

I know I keep repeating myself and probably boring the pants off you all, but I'm completely baffled why he isn't going with or even trying 4-2-3-1, hopefully last night was the wake up call.

robbieh said:
Ducado said:
worsleyweb said:
I remain convinced he won't last long. Fans haven't taken to him at all. Seems dour and does not seem pleased to be here.

We the fans will take to anyone who brings us success

Possibly. But I like many others took to Mancini straight away. Partly it was his undeniable style. But more importantly within days he turned a complete rabble into an organized unit. We even played an FA cup game with youngsters who have long gone, and the style was the same as the first team. In other words he gave the distinct impression he had a plan and knew what he was doing. OK it all went pair shaped in the end.

But with MP I have no idea what his plan is bar getting the ball forward a bit quicker. Less sideway passes for sure which is great but the defence is Hugheslike at the moment.

As a few have said the next 4 or 5 games will tell us if the United game was a one off against a poor side or we are capable of that sort of performance regularly against better opposition.

To be fair, we had a good team but the manager was very inept, Mancini was fairly experienced and knew exactly what was needed, but he took us as far as he could in my opinion

1-The transitional period debate doesn't cut it any more..The performance against united proved that.
2-The freak result debate doesn't cut it anymore. Freak results are losing 1-0 to a minnow in the cup or Sunderland away last year when we absolutely battered them and created was it over 20 chances? Villa we played all pretty football but had the cutting edge of a plastic knife.
3-The let's give him time debate is the divisive issue for me. Yes let's give him time but how long is a piece of string.Do we say,ok whatever happens this season we stick with him? That makes the DOF's position in all this open to debate. Before everyone jumps down my throat I thought the reason we got rid of Mancini was because of our poor european record and his abrasive non holistic approach?

My opinion-He has 5 games from now to turn it around and prove me as a doubter wrong.

robbieh said:
Ducado said:
worsleyweb said:
I remain convinced he won't last long. Fans haven't taken to him at all. Seems dour and does not seem pleased to be here.

Possibly. But I like many others took to Mancini straight away. Partly it was his undeniable style. But more importantly within days he turned a complete rabble into an organized unit. We even played an FA cup game with youngsters who have long gone, and the style was the same as the first team. In other words he gave the distinct impression he had a plan and knew what he was doing. OK it all went pair shaped in the end.

But with MP I have no idea what his plan is bar getting the ball forward a bit quicker. Less sideway passes for sure which is great but the defence is Hugheslike at the moment.

As a few have said the next 4 or 5 games will tell us if the United game was a one off against a poor side or we are capable of that sort of performance regularly against better opposition.
True, but Mancini took over from Hughes who did not have a clue at all and was disliked by not only the fans, but by many internal members of the club.<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 pm --<br /><br />
Danamy said:
LoveCity said:
Players have to adapt and believe in the system and only then will we really see what Pellegrini's City is about. There have been flashes and promising signs, but the inconsistency is absolutely maddening and almost a curse on this club... inconsistency has been hurting us since Boxing Day 2011. Moyes at United isn't all that different, although whether he has the personnel to change things remains to be seen... remember his Everton, getting the better of us constantly and playing with great intensity... yet we slaughtered his United team despite them having better players than Everton (but none of the intensity and pressing).

Pellegrini tactically defeated Klopp with both teams playing 4-2-3-1 (... not 4-4-2) last season and Malaga should have reached the semis, yet Malaga had half the talent Pellegrini's City did against Bayern or Mancini's City did against Dortmund, both City teams being completely outplayed. But the players were all attuned to a system where it was one for all and all for one, and the hard work + system almost beat a superior set of players who also played in a strong system. Pellegrini's Malaga with Santa Cruz possibly playing would have given Bayern a much better game than we did yesterday. Demichelis and crew defended like gods against Dortmund.

Now, the question is whether he can get these players fully adjusted to his system and giving 100% all the time. You can see some of them like Nasri working really hard and trying but there are still problems... Yaya's work ethic considering the occasion last night was terrible. Starved of the ball but doing little off it with just 1 successful tackle while his much criticised midfield partner made mistakes but still worked hard and made 5 successful tackles. Pellegrini's ideal system needs BOTH central midfielders working their arses off all the time...

I know I keep repeating myself and probably boring the pants off you all, but I'm completely baffled why he isn't going with or even trying 4-2-3-1, hopefully last night was the wake up call.
This this and this.

1-The transitional period debate doesn't cut it any more..The performance against united proved that.
2-The freak result debate doesn't cut it anymore. Freak results are losing 1-0 to a minnow in the cup or Sunderland away last year when we absolutely battered them and created was it over 20 chances? Villa we played all pretty football but had the cutting edge of a plastic knife.
3-The let's give him time debate is the divisive issue for me. Yes let's give him time but how long is a piece of string.Do we say,ok whatever happens this season we stick with him? That makes the DOF's position in all this open to debate. Before everyone jumps down my throat I thought the reason we got rid of Mancini was because of our poor european record and his abrasive non holistic approach?

My opinion-He has 5 games from now to turn it around and prove me as a doubter wrong.

I will give him 6, but starting on Saturday I think he will turn it around

just to be clear, what do you expect from those 5 games? 5 wins, 4 wins 1 draw? 3 wins 2 draws?

When we create over 20 chances and do not take them I think we need to question the strikers not the manager.

kp789 said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Ducado said:

Roberto says 'Hi'.

-- Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm --

kp789 said:
I despair at the level of some of the knee jerk comments on here.

Look at how Malaga started under Pellegrini, not great. Give the man time. Last night, he was tactically wrong and we have dropped stupid points at Stoke, Cardiff and Villa, but we are a team in transition from Mancini's very unique way of doing things into another contrast in Pellegrini. This does not just happen over night. Players need time to adapt to a new way of doing things as does the manager as he decides how to get the best out of his players. He has improved Kolarov and Nasri so far, give him time.

Rome was not built in a day. (Although we will probably get to 80% of building Rome and then give up and fill it with B&M bargains and poundlands with the typical city tag)

Does rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic pay well?
How can you have no patience after supporting City for the past couple of decades?

More than a couple, my friend.
Patience is one thing, but watching one of the supposed managerial hottest properties in Europe bereft of inspiration and looking baffled on the touchline when a blind man with a stick can what see the problem is something else, and it hardly inspires confidence for the future.
I want to be wrong, I really do.
But right now I have the nagging doubt that I may be horribly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.