Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeMercer'sWay said:
Billy, explain to me the following:

The heatmaps of the City/Bayern game show that we had most of our limited possession within our own half. UEFA kindly listed us as playing 4-2-3-1, and Bayern 4-1-4-1. Sadly the system is not as good on the UEFA site as it used to be. I suggest you look at the live map and see the startling difference between the two teams:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/match-centre/cup=1/season=2014/day=2/session=2/match=2011781/popout/pitchview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/match-centre/cup=1/ ... hview.html</a>

I pointed out last season where Mancini's failings were. Look here and see just how badly we were dominated in key events:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/matches/round=2000479/match=2011781/postmatch/statistics/index.html#1/2014/2000479/2011781/pitch-view/influence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... /influence</a>

Now look at the formation patterns:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/matches/round=2000479/match=2011781/postmatch/statistics/index.html#1/2014/2000479/2011781/pitch-view/team-shape/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... am-shape/0</a>

In the first 15 minutes we clearly play 2 up top. And they're both on top of each other. We play essentially 4-1-3-2 with Fernandinho holding but really it's a triangular 3 with Nasri and Yaya with Navas doing his own thing on the right. We are lobsided to the right hand side of the pitch, with a tiny focal point. Bayern have a much more balanced shape. Lahm is essentially playing as a 3rd CB, they have the 2 wing backs and it allows Kroos and Schweinsteiger to get up towards the front 3. It becomes more of a front 5 because they're on the front foot and are keeping possession. They have close links to a team mate, especially down the left so they can interchange and pass quickly. Their passing arrows are forwards, ours are backwards because we couldn't keep the ball.

15-30 becomes more telling. City's shape has gone. Navas has become more isolated, Nasri, Yaya and Fern are close together but have drifted slightly left and Fern is directly behind Yaya. Aguero and Dzeko are still right next to each other. The back 4 is stretched. Bayern take full advantage. They move their back 4 over to the right, why? because that is where they are going to pounce and get the ball back off Nasri and Yaya. Dante always sits back and covers. They then have 2 batches of 3 in their front 6, why? so a player always has a teammate to pass to. You can also notice that if you put the two formations on top of each other then the Bayern trios are right in the 2 gaping holes City leave in midfield/defence. Between Nasri and Clichy and huge channel between the midfield trio and Navas and Micah. It is no surprise that Pep was up guiding his team through for large periods, his team have reacted and exploited the space they've created in City's ranks.

30-45 Bayern keep up that system, and there are still gaps but they are smaller and that's because the back 4 of City has finally shuffled closer together. It's a temporary fix and leads to a lull of some sorts in the attacking momentum bar for this period. Navas is still isolated and Aguero and Dzeko have been holding hands the entire half, anyone seeing this would obviously change?

45-60 and the killer phase. Bayern keep the shape but Kroos moves slightly to link the front 6 together more. Look how high up their midfielders are. They are dominant. City's back 4 stretches again, Nasri becomes more isolated as Yaya drifts back on top on Fern and Navas is still all on his own. Aguero and Dzeko still hold hands as Bayern kill the game.

60-75, for the first time in an hour that Bayern 6 splits and Ribery becomes a little isolated. Kroos has moved over further to the right to link with the right hand side trio. City suffer for the first 10 minutes but then make changes that alleviates some pressure. Milner sticks to the left finally bringing balance to Navas on the right. Silva slots in higher up the pitch and ends Aguero's bonding sessions with his strike partners. Yaya sits on Fern.

75-90, City's best spell. The tactical changes have worked as there is only Negredo up front and Silva has the team slightly higher up the pitch showing we have more of the ball. There are still too many spaces but it's an improvement, Navas finally has someone to pass to. Bayern are shutting up shop. Gotze goes up top more with Muller meaning there is now space for Micah and Navas to get forward at Alaba and exploit Dante. That nice defensive shape of Bayern is distorted slightly as Kirchoff comes on and confuses the shape with Lahm, they end up on top of each other. Whereas Schweinsteiger had kept forward the changes now allowed City out and onto the front foot, Yaya could move forward as 3 attacking players and in particular 1 attacking midfielder and 1 key wide man had come off. City were relieved of the Bayern screw and that's a big reason as to why we had a much better last quarter.

Sadly Billy the Malaga maps for last season are no longer on the UEFA website, but it's clear from the line-ups that they would at most have put Baptista up front on his own. He was braver in the home leg, playing Saviola as well, but Saviola hasn't been an out and out striker in a long time. On wednesday however there were clear errors tactically that weren't resolved for 70 minutes, leaving Bayern to work it out within 10 and dominate it for an hour.

Explain to me how Guardiola noticed what was wrong and Pellegrini didn't.

Spot on, This iswhat I, and most of us recognised and the stats back up, we need to adapt our system and play in the same style as Bayern, Fernandinho holding, and Rodwell/Yaya or Silva/Yaya playing as the two central midfielders. Hell we could even play the two centre -backs and play Vinny in the holding role (he was a midfielder after all), and we could play any combination as the two central midfielders. Rodwell/Fernandinho, Yaya/Fernan.., Milner/Fernan, Yaya/Milner, or even mix it up with one of Silva or Nasri in there too.

What is obvious with this setup is we don't have a proper left winger, although this system also relies on the wing backs getting forward, so Kolarov would excel, or maybe play him as a left-sided midfielder. Navas is at home on the right, but could play as a left-winger and cut in on his right. We have players who could fit into this more advanced style of play than a basic 4-4-2.

In this system we may have too many forwards and not enough left wingers, but this could/should be addressed anyhow. If we started to play like this then it should help Yaya to get forward more where he looks better in most games. The only thing is that the players have to work very hard off the ball. Are our players capable of this ?

kenzie115 said:
Wednesday was the first time I’ve doubted him, we could all see the problem, yet he did nothing. Even if he’d have made a different change to the one I was thinking of and it didn’t work, at least it’d have shown he understood there was a problem and tried to fix it. I buried my head in my hands when he subbed Dzeko for Negredo, it just seemed so stupid.

I’ve posted before that my belief was we’d be using 4-3-3 this season and when the season started and we were using 4-2-2-2 I thought he might have just been giving the players a bit more time to get used to 4-3-3 in training. However, we’re in October and there’s still no sign of the 4-3-3, it’s becoming rather disappointing.
Just watchin loads of old Villareal and Malaga highlights and he doesn't seem to waver from this 4222 system.

The Malaga highlights i found aren't great... seems to only be the games where they got battered by big teams (Real,Barca) available.
Villareal highlights are more interesting... they seem to be much more compact and possession based but in the same setup. They seem to frequently outnumber the opponents.

Would like to find more Malaga vids though, anyone know of any?

Colins Bellend said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
I thought these were going to be the good times....
I'm with you, feel very let down by City but this manager mainly

Fucking hell lads,grow a pair,none of us are happy with our start but give the man,his name is Pellegrini by the way........at least a chance to prove himself.

kenzie115 said:
Wednesday was the first time I’ve doubted him, we could all see the problem, yet he did nothing. Even if he’d have made a different change to the one I was thinking of and it didn’t work, at least it’d have shown he understood there was a problem and tried to fix it. I buried my head in my hands when he subbed Dzeko for Negredo, it just seemed so stupid.

I’ve posted before that my belief was we’d be using 4-3-3 this season and when the season started and we were using 4-2-2-2 I thought he might have just been giving the players a bit more time to get used to 4-3-3 in training. However, we’re in October and there’s still no sign of the 4-3-3, it’s becoming rather disappointing.

One thing I'll say about playing 433 ... IMO we don't have the quality of players required in wide attacking areas to play that way regularly. I posted this elsewhere but if you look across Europe at the top teams their wide options are head and shoulders better than ours. Reus, Gotze, Robben, Ribery, Di Maria, Bale, Ronaldo, Lucas Moura, Lavezzi, Messi, Pedro, Sanchez ... IMO all those players walk into our best XI in a 433. We only have two orthodox wide forwards in Jovetic and Navas. The rest of our attacking midfield or forward players would be square'ish pegs in round'ish holes playing that system.

Don't get me wrong though, not at all trying to justify not sticking another body in midfield against Bayern ... but talking more about the larger context of why we seem to be playing the same relatively narrow 4222 we did under Mancini rather than the kind of 433 Barca/Bayern/Madrid play.

You really are on a downer aren't you! To be honest it was a bad day at the office for all concerned. The system was wrong, the players didn't play well. I don't think Pellegrini has been tactically outplayed the way he was on Wednesday very often, he needed to change things but he didn't. Having said that going 1 down perhaps he then was happy to have the team he did and was hoping for more on the counter then. I will not jump on his back after such a short period of time. I am happy for this season to be transitional, for us to qualify from the Champions League group and finish in the top 3 I would be happy. So long as tactically and technically we are better. I think our issues will be resolved sooner rather than later. The biggest issue with our squad is that Aguero is not an effective support striker against teams that play in a similar way to Bayern. He needs a free role in the side, but to play behind Dzeko or Negredo as he did against Bayern, he doesn't occupy the right spaces or pressure the opposition enough.

We would have been better to have him as a lone striker or to play Negredo up top on his own (I prefer Negredo to Dzeko). Then to have Nasri or Silva in the space behind the striker, we would have kept the ball and had a better shape.

FantasyIreland said:
Colins Bellend said:

Fucking hell lads,grow a pair,none of us are happy with our start but give the man,his name is Pellegrini by the way........at least a chance to prove himself.
When's he going to become the Chilean?

Colins Bellend said:

On the plus side, even though the results against Cardiff and Stoke were shocking, he appeared to learn from these and won the home games and the performance at Villa was much better ,except for the result which I'm sure was a shock for him. I know the performance against Bayern was poor, but if you watch it again there were a few spells in the game where we did compete, (and I know that it wasn't good enough, we should be able to compete for 90 minutes not just 5 minutes in the first half and 15-20 minutes in the second.

We were totally outplayed and that is what hurts the most, however Pellegrini has changed things from other poor performances, and we all hope he'll do better in the next games (he has too).

Chin up, we play Everton tomorrow, one of our bogey sides over the past few seasons, they will play a different game, our team know how difficult they are to beat and have struggled coping with them, well tomorrow we could see a different Manchester City who can beat Everton, and then we'll all thinking about winning the league again. Follow that with two fairly difficult away games and if we win those then we can move on from the early season disappointment. It wouldn't be City if it was too easy, would it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.