Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gelsons Dad said:
It's well known and called Situational leadership theory. MBA 101 these days.

I keep reading there's courses you can go on to learn how to be a good manager. I'll be sure to look one up if my managerial career ever begins to wane!

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:
I am far less confident about the mental fortitude of the players.

My reply, or should I say, my own opinion on the mentality debate will no doubt spark another furious round of tongue lashings from the usual suspects so I'll refrain. Safe to say that no squad has 22/23 players with the same mentality. The job of a manager, any manager, is to identify which players are motivated by what, and then get about motivating them. If Pellegrini fails to do that, then IMO he hasn't done his job. In the modern game you're not going to get a squad of players all with the right mentality ...

In many respects the more naturally gifted the player, the less he's likely to listen to a manager and thus the more he actually needs managing on a day to day basis.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but it makes sense in my head!

It does make sense, although would there not be an argument to suggest that these are players that aren't good enough (technically and mentally) for where we want to be.

Gelsons Dad said:
BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

My reply, or should I say, my own opinion on the mentality debate will no doubt spark another furious round of tongue lashings from the usual suspects so I'll refrain. Safe to say that no squad has 22/23 players with the same mentality. The job of a manager, any manager, is to identify which players are motivated by what, and then get about motivating them. If Pellegrini fails to do that, then IMO he hasn't done his job. In the modern game you're not going to get a squad of players all with the right mentality ...

In many respects the more naturally gifted the player, the less he's likely to listen to a manager and thus the more he actually needs managing on a day to day basis.

Good old Blanchard!

S1, S2, S3, S4 - D1, D2, D3, D4...

Those were the days. Actually they weren't, I fucking hated managing people. Fucking knob heads the lot of them.

BillyShears said:
Gelsons Dad said:

I keep reading there's courses you can go on to learn how to be a good manager. I'll be sure to look one up if my managerial career ever begins to wane!

I never needed it but it was free after 20 years of managing in both civil and military environments ;-)

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

I should perhaps have said some players and I agree that it is the manager's job to sort that out but I remain worried about where some of their heads are at.

Gelsons Dad said:
BillyShears said:
Gelsons Dad said:

I never needed it but it was free after 20 years of managing in both civil and military environments ;-)

Christ I kind of hope my managerial career isn't 20 years long! I'm looking at becoming the managed rather than the manager and I'm only 10 years in ...

strongbowholic said:
Gelsons Dad said:
BillyShears said:

Good old Blanchard!

S1, S2, S3, S4 - D1, D2, D3, D4...

Those were the days. Actually they weren't, I fucking hated managing people. Fucking knob heads the lot of them.

Yep, in those terms we have a number of S3/M3/D3 s in the squad and the task is to move them to 4s<br /><br />-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:39 pm --<br /><br />
BillyShears said:
Gelsons Dad said:
BillyShears said:

Christ I kind of hope my managerial career isn't 20 years long! I'm looking at becoming the managed rather than the manager and I'm only 10 years in ...

Retirement is a long and boring holiday.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
OB1 said:
BillyShears said:
I think it'll be typical city if City are the first team in Pellegrini's managerial career to not be able to play the way he expects them to ... ;)

The players worry me far more than the manager, at this point.

Ditto. The lack of pace is one thing, but the lack of desire is something else. Nasri, Dzeko, Ya Ya, even Spanish Dave, I can't recall when I last saw any of them give their all for the cause in a game. Coasters and dilettantes we seem to have by the shedload
Agree with all of that
They even seem worse than last season
Its amazing to see mid table side players graft and run their bollocks off
Ours look like they can't wait to get off the pitch.

OB1 said:
BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

I should perhaps have said some players and I agree that it is the manager's job to sort that out but I remain worried about where some of their heads are at.

I know it's digressing a little but I wonder are we lacking in leaders on the park at present, VK apart? It may be that Mancini, previously, in moving on perceived troublemakers and Txiki trying to move on expensive players on big wages have left us without on pitch leaders, since we won the league de Jong, Kolo, Tevez and Barry have left, Micah has had constant injury issues and Lescott has been marginalised (and when he plays looks uncomfortable with a high line). We have some very good players but other than Kompany only Zabaleta and maybe Hart are vocal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.