Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:
Agreed. The signing of players would still require Txiki's nod of approval so there would be few fears on that score. I think Mourinho is even worse at identifying and buying players he needs but in both cases give them a squad that marries up to their respective strengths and philosophies and you have something that will win trophies. And Rafa is a big advocate of a strong youth policy.

Obviously Mourinho politically was a non starter but I reckon Rafa would have worked provided the parameters of his role were clearly outlined and there was a bit of give and take on Txiki's part. As you say Rafa would have cheerfully drowned a sack of cute kittens to get the gig so the basis for negotiation was there. Loaning Gareth Barry may have been a deal breaker though.

I've a suspicion that if Pellegrini had turned the job down, Rafa might have ended up next in line. He probably would have kept Baz...

-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm --

I'm still not sure if you have got the hang of the Bertie level system.

Jimmy Anderson is a fine swing bowler, not sure what he has got to do with anything.

Are you sitting on a park bench (watching cricket)?

Unfortunately not. I am however finding wonder, that a manager can be ruled out within 4 matches but a clown who did a lot of harm at Liverpool, is being hailed as the next best manager and one we should have got.

Yeah. Winning that CL final was a real woman. On the other hand the two owners Hicks & Gillette did a fine job.

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:
If Rafa does well at Napoli, he may become a contender to takeover from Pellegrini if Pep is not available.

I think that's a step too far ahead right now ... football changes pretty quickly and I suspect in the 2/3 years time when Pellegrini is looking to move on, there may well be other contenders. I've not mentioned his name in a while ... but surely Klopp will have fulfilled his ambitions in Dortmund by that point ... and what I wouldn't give to have that crazy genius in charge of our football team.

Anyway ... I still, i'm going to say naively as I'm in a pretty small minority, believe that Pellegrini is going to win not only the league this season, but will do a double along with a cup. I feel good about that prediction ... don't feel like it's unrealistic or particularly ambitious.

I think the club should constantly be compiling and recompiling a short list of potential replacements for the next manager; if for no other reason than contingency planning. But I am a big believer in planning ahead too.

We don't know when Pellers will go but he will and the obvious time horizon for that is three to five years. I'd expect Klopp to remain on the radar.

For now, I am 100% behind Pellegrini. I gave Hughes until the end of his first season before expressing an opinion on whether he should stay or go and I remain hopeful that this time around, my conclusion on the manager will be different.

BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:
Rafa's football is pretty bland... effective, but bland. Our chiefs want a beautiful brand of football they can sell to the world. Yes, it's nothing like that right now but in a year's time it probably will be if Pellegrini can get these players playing his way. If he can't then I wonder who actually might, since Pellegrini got the egos at Real Madrid functioning very well as a unit. With the attitudes of some of our players towards non-marquee games, you have to wonder if even Klopp dancing and screaming on the touchline would inspire them for the 'small' games.

I think it'll be typical city if City are the first team in Pellegrini's managerial career to not be able to play the way he expects them to ... ;)

Worse than typical City, it'd basically reveal a disease within our squad that probably couldn't be solved without yet more upheaval and selling/replacing the key offenders.

I mean, I've watched Pellegrini teams since Villarreal and they all struck me as teams who work their arse off for the manager... even the Real Madrid team he allegedly 'failed' with worked hard and pushed Barcelona's greatest ever team to the last day with a record points total (scoring 102 goals on the way and that was with Ronaldo injured for a chunk of his first season there).

So, if the lethargy of last season (and now, this season) doesn't go away even under Pellegrini, then I'd say we're f*cked short of yet another squad overhaul which could mean big name players leaving. But maybe it's just a false start... all the players speak very highly of the manager already.

BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:
Rafa's football is pretty bland... effective, but bland. Our chiefs want a beautiful brand of football they can sell to the world. Yes, it's nothing like that right now but in a year's time it probably will be if Pellegrini can get these players playing his way. If he can't then I wonder who actually might, since Pellegrini got the egos at Real Madrid functioning very well as a unit. With the attitudes of some of our players towards non-marquee games, you have to wonder if even Klopp dancing and screaming on the touchline would inspire them for the 'small' games.

I think it'll be typical city if City are the first team in Pellegrini's managerial career to not be able to play the way he expects them to ... ;)

The players worry me far more than the manager, at this point.

mancity1 said:
OB1 said:
Let's just hope Pellers can get City to play with passion today.

That's two bertie points OB1 it would have been three if it had of read lets show passion and play with pride today.

Jenny Anderson would be proud of you.

I'm still not sure if you have got the hang of the Bertie level system.

Jimmy Anderson is a fine swing bowler, not sure what he has got to do with anything.

Woops Paul you are playing with a straight bat here minus seven bertie points I here Stephen Fry call on QI.

Just for your eyes only as OB1 and BK are on my frequency hear ( heaven help them ).

Ian Anderson wrote the music and in some cases the lyrics to most of Jethro Tull's songs.

His wife Jenny at the time however you will find also wrote the lyrics to some of Tull's classics.

OB1 introduced Passion Play another Tull timeless vinyl.

Perhaps you are switched on the right channel now.

Bertie is what you make of him Paul but you follow the thread.

Jimmy Anderson is a bowler Paul and will play a role in Oz later this year but last time I checked he had nought to do with Jethro Tull the Prog Rock Band or as Lars once said at the Grammy's Heavy Metal what you f...n kidding , before his time for young Jimme I would suggest.

LoveCity said:
BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:

Worse than typical City, it'd basically reveal a disease within our squad that probably couldn't be solved without yet more upheaval and selling/replacing the key offenders.

I mean, I've watched Pellegrini teams since Villarreal and they all struck me as teams who work their arse off for the manager... even the Real Madrid team he allegedly 'failed' with worked hard and pushed Barcelona's greatest ever team to the last day with a record points total (scoring 102 goals on the way and that was with Ronaldo injured for a chunk of his first season there).

So, if the lethargy of last season (and now, this season) doesn't go away even under Pellegrini, then I'd say we're f*cked short of yet another squad overhaul which could mean big name players leaving. But maybe it's just a false start... all the players speak very highly of the manager already.

You'll be getting a visit from BK but share your view.

OB1 said:
BillyShears said:
LoveCity said:

In my very humble opinion with regards our players ... we have a serious, and when I say serious, I mean chronic problem in both full back positions. I know it's practically blasphemy to slag off Zaba but he's just not a good enough footballer. Same with Kolarov and Clichy. None of them possess the attributes required to be the marauding full backs which Pellegrini is used to incorporating into his team. Clichy is the nearest but fuck me his end product is virtually non existent. Simply having full backs who get forward but never ever ever - well once a season - manage a meaningful cross, isn't going to cut it.

Other than that ... I'm sanguine. There's no mentality problem IMO. The players just need to get up to speed with what they need to do in real time match situations when they have two choices. The default setting is currently pass it sideways when in doubt ... this is going to have to change for us to play the way Pellegrini wants ...

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:
BillyShears said:

In my very humble opinion with regards our players ... we have a serious, and when I say serious, I mean chronic problem in both full back positions. I know it's practically blasphemy to slag off Zaba but he's just not a good enough footballer. Same with Kolarov and Clichy. None of them possess the attributes required to be the marauding full backs which Pellegrini is used to incorporating into his team. Clichy is the nearest but fuck me his end product is virtually non existent. Simply having full backs who get forward but never ever ever - well once a season - manage a meaningful cross, isn't going to cut it.

Other than that ... I'm sanguine. There's no mentality problem IMO. The players just need to get up to speed with what they need to do in real time match situations when they have two choices. The default setting is currently pass it sideways when in doubt ... this is going to have to change for us to play the way Pellegrini wants ...

I felt that we really missed Richards last season. Zab had a really good season, he is solid and reliable but Richards' pace and power going forward and linking up with Silva were a crucial part of the title winning formula imo. He may not have the greatest footballing brain but he causes the opposition all kinds of problems when he bombs on.

BobKowalski said:
OB1 said:
I've a suspicion that if Pellegrini had turned the job down, Rafa might have ended up next in line. He probably would have kept Baz...

-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm --

Are you sitting on a park bench (watching cricket)?

Unfortunately not. I am however finding wonder, that a manager can be ruled out within 4 matches but a clown who did a lot of harm at Liverpool, is being hailed as the next best manager and one we should have got.

Yeah. Winning that CL final was a real woman. On the other hand the two owners Hicks & Gillette did a fine job.

Rafa won the CL with someone else's team, in freak circumstances, they finished 5th that season, and only Uefa allowing 5 English teams in they wouldnt have qualified, when he had to buy players he was nothing short of woeful. He was shocking at Inter lasting only a few months, he did ok at Chelsea but hardly pulled up trees and was universally unpopular with the fans.

Lancet Fluke said:
I felt that we really missed Richards last season. Zab had a really good season, he is solid and reliable but Richards' pace and power going forward and linking up with Silva were a crucial part of the title winning formula imo. He may not have the greatest footballing brain but he causes the opposition all kinds of problems when he bombs on.

I do agree with that ... I didn't want to mention Micah because of his injuries but although he also lacks end product, his physical strength and pace mean he generally can bully his way into positions that Clichy and Zaba rarely get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.