Discuss Pellegrini...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got them to buy into the new system amd now he needs them to buy into the commitment and focus side of it - you need a balance of both but we continue to turn off at key moments - christ we couldn´t even last 6 fookin minutes today when we really needed to be at it early doors

-- Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:00 pm --

John.des said:
Good coach but more I see him and the results, he is really not a lucky or simply a big winner coach.

He is not the one that will deliver lot of trophies for us. Had high hopes of him after Mancini who only seemed to improve the team by spending always extra money on an already strong squad.

But looking at the crucial 4-5 games in last months
:

Sunderland Capital Cup final
Wigan Fa Cup exit
Barca tie CL
Pool game today PL

This worries me too
tactically even Sunderland did well vs us for 50-55 minutes, than Yaya scored a wonder goal, something you cant prevent tactically really.
Wigan did what was their only chance, defende well, close space for us in the middle, and extremely lot of desire to win or hold the lead, which was done successfully by them with a squad worth of 20-25m. Like Jovetic's price...

Barca, well they are in very bad shape, not the Barca we knew from years ago, their small losses at weak teams in the league shows the same, Atletico easily beat them this weak with 2-3 woodworks as well..
Than Granada again yesterday.

Pelle couldnt create a situation where we could lead against them in any game of the tie. 4-1 loss vs them was far from great. For Galatasaray, or Olympiakos its acceptable.
Even Moyes lost only 4-2 vs Bayern, and thats a bigger mismatch...

Pool game, apart from 20-30 minutes in second half, in first half and last 15 minutes after Kompany brainfuck we did nothing in a game that was deciding the title. Started slow, they were running behind our defence and rough our midfield duo when we knew they are good at this and will try again vs us. We should prepare for it. The tracking back by Navas, Silva, NAsri was nonexistent mostly in first half. How can they get away with this.
Last year in CL vs Ajax, Frank de Boer criticized some of our players that they decide when to track back, when they want, Nasri, Balo, Agüero. Was strange to hear him saying it not so classy, but was right in what he said. Nothing changed since that...
Another thing we should have prepare was Skrtel headers at corners. Well...

Now we are again at a position where we will have hope another 80-100m spent on the market will improve us finally as much that we win the league again or get a great CL run. There has to another ways too. We have the luxury of spending power unlike some other teams.
Getting a manager that creates a playing style like Rodgers or Simeone THAT IS ABLE TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THE PLAYERS, and motivates his team like them is the first we need. Unfortunately Pelle is not one of these coaches.
He will hardly get the best out of our defenders. So much flawed team we have when dont have the ball. Workrate problems. We wouldnt have as many fuckup at the back if helping out defenders would actually work.

After Pelle's first season, all I can see he tried one striker formation, two striker formation, pressing football, high line, variation of all these, than leaving some of these as the season went, so in the end he didnt really found the right formation. Even when he gets the formation right, picking the right players for the right game is a struggle for his sometimes. Picking negredo recent games as sub, when Jovetic at least had some kind of form, picking Navas constantly over Milner, Clichy over Kolarov in tough away games, amateur mistake...
He will deliver a second or third place with our squad in the league.

To be fair I cant pick a current PL manager who would have finished lower than 3rd with our current squad. Apart from Moyes.

I agree that I´m not sure he can - this is a part of a a managers remit like it or not

dw7 said:
Useless **** sooner the better he's gone sacked or fucks off himself.

He choked with Madrid in a 2 team league what makes people think it will be any different with city in a harder league

Delusional!

RM had their HIGHEST EVER points total and lost the league to a record points haul by Barca! Took Malaga...yes Malaga...the the latter stages of the CL, and City are playing the best football they have ever played IN HIS FIRST SEASON IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL, and he's already own silverware, with a chance of winning the League!

FFS, are you new to football, City, the whole "Project," or do you only like managers who never lose?

Grab some perspective with the next beer!

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:
Pellers either gets it right straight from the off (FA Cup match against Chelsea) or sits there watching us bleed out on the pitch. Its like an episode of MASH without the funny bits.

Pellegrini has made changes early in matches whenever things haven't been going our way and he did again today. Not sure on that basis that you have much of a point.

We'll agree to disagree. The sight of Sterling playing in acres of space between our midfield and back four for practically the entire 1st half does not lend itself to the theory that Pellers reacts quickly to events during the game. Putting Milner on 5 minutes into the second half does not suggest decisive decision making and it is in these 'big moments' in 'big games' that Pellers has a major weakness.

BillyShears said:
What he does in big matches is generally pick an attacking team rather than a pragmatic one. Ultimately as I said to Rammy earlier that's probably one of the reasons he got the job in the first place.

I partly agree. In the 6-1 we played 2 out and out strikers against our direct title rival. Today we played one out and out striker. The team is not initself 'more attacking'. There is though a difference in emphasis. In the 6-1 we kept it tight and restricted them to pretty much nothing until we scored and...well you know the rest. In that sense Mancini was being more pragmatic then Pellers was today but given the car crash that was the first half I am not sure why we seem to think 'its a good thing'. Its romantic. Its laudable in a lofty idealistic sort of way. Its also beyond fucking stupid. But if thats the direction we have set ourselves then so be it.

That said the sight of Gerrard 5 yards out in the middle of the goal totally unmarked and allowed a free header does make me wonder if that level of disorganisation is too high a price to pay. Or perhaps we can achieve our aim by just doing things a lot better. There is still too much last ditch defending and not enough control of the game and we keep paying for it with individual errors.

I really think it's going to be a long few years for those who've been dead against Pellegrini since day one. He's not going anywhere and isn't going to change. Personally I'll take the downsides of a coach who prefers attacking football to the Mancini's and Benitez's of this world.

BillyShears said:
BobKowalski said:
Pellers either gets it right straight from the off (FA Cup match against Chelsea) or sits there watching us bleed out on the pitch. Its like an episode of MASH without the funny bits.

Pellegrini has made changes early in matches whenever things haven't been going our way and he did again today. Not sure on that basis that you have much of a point.

What he does in big matches is generally pick an attacking team rather than a pragmatic one. Ultimately as I said to Rammy earlier that's probably one of the reasons he got the job in the first place.

Examples please.

Nasri and Dzeko starting were "small mistakes" that can be overlooked.

I can kind of understand why he went with Toure in central midfield. He obviously wants to give him a chance. It looks like Pellegrini is a manager that likes to give players a chance. Toure wants to play in midfield and the manager puts his faith in him and lets him play.

What is important is that Pellegrini never ever deploys Toure in midfielder again. Toure has been given a full season to show what he can do in midfield and whilst he can play with the ball, his work off the ball is non-existant and that is not acceptable.

It looks like he's out for the rest of the season which is a pity because he could have done a job for us as a winger or attacking midfielder.

bluemc1 said:
Bpughh said:
pfazz said:
And your managerial experience stretches to what exactly?
The arrogance of people on here astonishes me sometimes. It's a game of football where things are dynamic not constant, decisions have to be made rightly or wrongly but people coming on here with hindsight and throwing out accusations of incompetence among players and managers at the very top of their profession is astounding to say the least. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but stating that Pellegrini got it wrong on almost every level is ridiculous and begs the question, what do you do for a living and if you are not a top football manager then why not?

+1.

-1 so do you think Jose goes there today and plays an attacking team or keeps it tight and defensive to start with, well he's a top level manger so would it be ok for him to say it, its not arrogance its just in some occasions people who have been watching English football for over 30 years+ knowing what that would be like today to start with and saying that being his first season in English football wasn't quite ready or expecting it

Lol. Honestly, I don't rate jose as a top level manager. I put more value in the sport, than I do in winning. IMO managers like mourinho and pulis are doing no good for the game.

Do you think Mourinho could win through fluent, attacking football? I don't.

Do you think Pellegrini could win by focusing 90% of his attention on defending and canceling out his oppositions strengths -- by leaving a bit of pace and quality up top that usually only strikes on the counter, or because of individual brilliance? By creating a brick wall of a very disciplined 6 defenders -- 2 dmids who hardly ever go foward, and a back 4 that wouldn't dare risk their positioning for a chance to get involved in the attack.

I think one of those strategies is very complex and enjoyable to watch -- maybe a little bit harder to win every game with, but much more rewarding. I think the other is quite basic, and part of the reason why so many of you think you could do a better job than pellegrini.

If all you care about is winning, Jose is a top manager. But if u have any real appreciation for the game, u should value a manager like pellegrini more so than a manager like mourinho.

That being said, I do think negative mou and chelski will nick all 3 from liverpool. He'll leave no where near the space we left suarez sturridge coutinho and sterling. Probably end up 1-0 or 2-1. But sure as hell won't be as fun of game to watch as the one we saw today.

gungho-tactics said:
Nasri and Dzeko starting were "small mistakes" that can be overlooked.

I can kind of understand why he went with Toure in central midfield. He obviously wants to give him a chance. It looks like Pellegrini is a manager that likes to give players a chance. Toure wants to play in midfield and the manager puts his faith in him and lets him play.

What is important is that Pellegrini never ever deploys Toure in midfielder again.

It looks like he's out for the rest of the season which is a pity because he could have done a job for us as a winger or attacking midfielder.

Try talking sense instead of faux humour.

ChicagoBlue said:
dw7 said:
Useless **** sooner the better he's gone sacked or fucks off himself.

He choked with Madrid in a 2 team league what makes people think it will be any different with city in a harder league

Delusional!

RM had their HIGHEST EVER points total and lost the league to a record points haul by Barca! Took Malaga...yes Malaga...the the latter stages of the CL, and City are playing the best football they have ever played IN HIS FIRST SEASON IN ENGLISH FOOTBALL, and he's already own silverware, with a chance of winning the League!

FFS, are you new to football, City, the whole "Project," or do you only like managers who never lose?

Grab some perspective with the next beer!
How did he do with Madrid in the domestic cups and CL. Yes you guessed it he choked

Bpughh said:
bluemc1 said:
Bpughh said:

-1 so do you think Jose goes there today and plays an attacking team or keeps it tight and defensive to start with, well he's a top level manger so would it be ok for him to say it, its not arrogance its just in some occasions people who have been watching English football for over 30 years+ knowing what that would be like today to start with and saying that being his first season in English football wasn't quite ready or expecting it

Lol. Honestly, I don't rate jose as a top level manager. I put more value in the sport, than I do in winning. IMO managers like mourinho and pulis are doing no good for the game.

Do you think Mourinho could win through fluent, attacking football? I don't.

Do you think Pellegrini could win by focusing 90% of his attention on defending and canceling out his oppositions strengths -- by leaving a bit of pace and quality up top that usually only strikes on the counter, or because of individual brilliance? By creating a brick wall of a very disciplined 6 defenders -- 2 dmids who hardly ever go foward, and a back 4 that wouldn't dare risk their positioning for a chance to get involved in the attack.

I think one of those strategies is very complex and enjoyable to watch -- maybe a little bit harder to win every game with, but much more rewarding. I think the other is quite basic, and part of the reason why so many of you think you could do a better job than pellegrini.

If all you care about is winning, Jose is a top manager. But if u have any real appreciation for the game, u should value a manager like pellegrini more so than a manager like mourinho.

That being said, I do think negative mou and chelski will nick all 3 from liverpool. He'll leave no where near the space we left suarez sturridge coutinho and sterling. Probably end up 1-0 or 2-1. But sure as hell won't be as fun of game to watch as the one we saw today.

But football is all about winning!! It's pointless playing attractive football if you win fuck all. Different thing then if you win, but it is so simple. I wish Jose Mourinho was our manager. We would have this league wrapped up by now easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.