Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
This De Bruyne v Silva debate has been running even before we signed him.

I think they can play together only at the moment we're only considering 2 positions: behind the front two and wide left & right.

IF it was seriously a choice between the two I would go for KDB as he has a huge goal threat. Even when the team is playing badly (at Watford and Everton) he still cuts in an unleashes shots that have gone very close. His goal threat is > Silva.

However surely they can be played together in the same team? If we played Delph or Fernandinho in central midfield that would give them the platform to play together. It really disappoints me that we haven't got the most out of these 2 players. Surely this is the key to the rest of our season. That and keeping Aguero fit, who now looks like he is getting back to his best.

It strikes me that had Pellegrini's job / future been more secure he would have dropped Toure but that would mean going into the unknown and transitioning to a new team because for the last 5 years we have played through him.

In Ferguson's last year he stopped developing the team and thought only about the short term as he put success for him above the long term health of the football club. That's what people do. They survive. We've got the raw materials in the squad to rebuild our midfield but we have postponed doing it for too long and perhaps the coaches own job insecurity is part of that? Last season as he pondered how to handle the last years of Toure, he probably thought "I am not going to be here" someone else's problem. And now unexpectedly it's his problem sooner than he thought because his game has fallen off a cliff.

But he has the players to resolve it. He just needs to be brave and drop him, and start playing the rest of their team to their strengths instead of trying to manage the decline of another.

Do we really know what De Bruyne's best position is? I don't understand why he's always been played wide, not given a few games in the middle.
The answer as to why he's played there is down to the inclusion of other players in the team not just Silva. And although he has a fantastic cross on him, possibly as good as Beckham, he'd be even more effective inside. I think that is what is really frustrating at the moment. We can see that we have some fantastic players in our squad but we are not getting the most out of them. Sterling for example when he plays down the middle and can go both ways is far better than when he is stuck on the left touchline and has only one way to go.

Zero progress made in 12 months - and as I said above maybe it's because Pellegrini knows he's not here for the long term so he's put off the long term management and development of the playing squad. Whatever the excuses, and reasoning the current play reflects extremely badly on his coaching and also on the administration of this club. I know he didn't know what was going on last season. Perhaps if that had been sorted out then footballing decisions would have been taken a lot earlier.

This waiting for Pep has been very damaging. Perhaps there was no way round it. Whatever Pellegrini's image / reputation as a coach has gone downhill. He inherited a team. When it passed its sell by date he got the tools to move it on. e has delayed it and delayed it and now he really has to act. I doubt he will. He'll just carry on trying to extend the life of the rusty old cog at the centre of Mancini's playing machine.

This De Bruyne v Silva debate has been running even before we signed him.

I think they can play together only at the moment we're only considering 2 positions: behind the front two and wide left & right.

IF it was seriously a choice between the two I would go for KDB as he has a huge goal threat. Even when the team is playing badly (at Watford and Everton) he still cuts in an unleashes shots that have gone very close. His goal threat is > Silva.

However surely they can be played together in the same team? If we played Delph or Fernandinho in central midfield that would give them the platform to play together. It really disappoints me that we haven't got the most out of these 2 players. Surely this is the key to the rest of our season. That and keeping Aguero fit, who now looks like he is getting back to his best.

It strikes me that had Pellegrini's job / future been more secure he would have dropped Toure but that would mean going into the unknown and transitioning to a new team because for the last 5 years we have played through him.

In Ferguson's last year he stopped developing the team and thought only about the short term as he put success for him above the long term health of the football club. That's what people do. They survive. We've got the raw materials in the squad to rebuild our midfield but we have postponed doing it for too long and perhaps the coaches own job insecurity is part of that? Last season as he pondered how to handle the last years of Toure, he probably thought "I am not going to be here" someone else's problem. And now unexpectedly it's his problem sooner than he thought because his game has fallen off a cliff.

But he has the players to resolve it. He just needs to be brave and drop him, and start playing the rest of their team to their strengths instead of trying to manage the decline of another.

I don't agree they can't play together. Second half against Newcastle and the Sunderland game they linked up together superbly with Silva in the middle and De Bruyne on the left.

I keep seeing this idea mentioned that Silva should be dropped and KDB played at 10. I just cannot get my head around that idea whatsoever. I wonder whether people have actually been watching the games this season, or they just want a shiny new toy to play with.

Our best form of the season was the first 5 games. We won every game and didn't concede a goal. Silva at 10, De Bruyne not playing.

Our worst run of form was the 8 weeks that Silva was out, our points per game was similar to Chelsea. De Bruyne at 10, Silva not playing.

Neecastle at home in the first 30 minutes, De Bruyne at 10, Silva on the left. The worst we've played at home since Frank Clarke was the manager. On 30 minutes they switched, Silva to 10, De Bruyne left, we scored 6 goals in 20 minutes.

The only game we've played well in without Silva was Sevilla away. De Bruyne didn't play.

So for all of those that are pushing for Silva to be dropped and for De Bruyne to play at number 10, can you please answer this question:

Please give specific examples of games where De Bruyne has played as a number 10 and we've played well as a TEAM.

I don't agree they can't play together. Second half against Newcastle and the Sunderland game they linked up together superbly with Silva in the middle and De Bruyne on the left.

I keep seeing this idea mentioned that Silva should be dropped and KDB played at 10. I just cannot get my head around that idea whatsoever. I wonder whether people have actually been watching the games this season, or they just want a shiny new toy to play with.

Our best form of the season was the first 5 games. We won every game and didn't concede a goal. Silva at 10, De Bruyne not playing.

Our worst run of form was the 8 weeks that Silva was out, our points per game was similar to Chelsea. De Bruyne at 10, Silva not playing.

Neecastle at home in the first 30 minutes, De Bruyne at 10, Silva on the left. The worst we've played at home since Frank Clarke was the manager. On 30 minutes they switched, Silva to 10, De Bruyne left, we scored 6 goals in 20 minutes.

The only game we've played well in without Silva was Sevilla away. De Bruyne didn't play.

So for all of those that are pushing for Silva to be dropped and for De Bruyne to play at number 10, can you please answer this question:

Please give specific examples of games where De Bruyne has played as a number 10 and we've played well as a TEAM.
I can't have been very clear on what I meant to say. I would like to see the two play together but they are not at the centre of the team. At Wolfsburg, De Bruyne was the conductor. At City he is stuck out on the wing waiting for the ball. I would like to see KDB play the same role he played at Wolfsbur but that means Pellegrini moving Toure on to the bench which is such an obvious thing to do. It's risk of course, and no one likes that

Obviously De Bruyne being younger and more productive both in terms of goals and assists means long term it's him who should be playing number 10. Especially away from home and in big games.

This season whatever happens I'm confident that KDB will flourish ridiculously under Pep. I fear for Silva's future at the club because he's too good to be a squad player but if we go and buy Isco or Sane in the summer to add to the attackers we already have then his game time will be very limited under Pep.

Top post mate. Silva is by far our most effective No 10 and its just our fortune/misfortune No 10 is probably the best position for KDB, Nasri and possibly Toure.

Ultimately we've been at our strongest this season when everyone has been played in their best position and Sevilla away perfectly illustrated this. Perhaps this is why Manuel has made so many tactical errors in his time here. He's spoilt for choice and perhaps in his eagerness to keep all his stars happy, he plays all his best players and tries to make them fit. At Villareal and Malaga he probably didn't have these issues to contend with so he picked the best players at his disposal for the positions he had available with not much left in reserve which left him able to concentrate on his tactics as opposed to keeping players happy.

Whether keeping all the players happy or doing the best for the formation he chooses is his best course of action, only time and history will tell.

Top post mate. Silva is by far our most effective No 10 and its just our fortune/misfortune No 10 is probably the best position for KDB, Nasri and possibly Toure.

Ultimately we've been at our strongest this season when everyone has been played in their best position and Sevilla away perfectly illustrated this. Perhaps this is why Manuel has made so many tactical errors in his time here. He's spoilt for choice and perhaps in his eagerness to keep all his stars happy, he plays all his best players and tries to make them fit. At Villareal and Malaga he probably didn't have these issues to contend with so he picked the best players at his disposal for the positions he had available with not much left in reserve which left him able to concentrate on his tactics as opposed to keeping players happy.

Whether keeping all the players happy or doing the best for the formation he chooses is his best course of action, only time and history will tell.
The issue for me is MP not considering KDB or Silva , it is dropping Yaya and playing Kevin left and David where he wants to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.