Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a top tier manager personally mate, someone who can truly get the most out of this side. Under Pellegrini we all too often look less than the sum of our parts.

Either way, Pellegrini is a short term fix at present, he's at an age now where he'll be thinking about retirement sooner or later. This is something we need to look at sooner or later.

What do you class as a top tier manager? Because ALL managers make mistakes and if we do get Pep he will to..

With Klopp Liverpool bound in the coming days, if we don't secure Pep's services next summer we'll have majorly dropped a bollock.

We've gambled the short to medium term future of the club on securing Pep next summer, in the meantime we've passed up on one of the few available managers out there who we all agreed was a perfect fit for us and an upgrade on Manuel earlier this summer. Now he's gone to a domestic rival.

Guardiola is an absolute must next summer, and I'm getting pretty anxious about that now given that Rummenigge has been talking about negotiations for a new contract just the other week.

If we passed up the opportunity to land Klopp, on the understanding that Pep was coming in a year, and he doesn't, Txiki wants shooting. IMO.

It's a big if though, in the meantime I'm going to try and keep a lid on that anxiety.

Not sure if you're being serious or not? I'm guessing not. Pellegrini looks likely to win 2 leagues in 3 seasons playing in the main excellent football, only coming second in his worst season. A season with heavy FFP restrictions.

Klopp's best team, struggled and UEFA basically cheated to see them surpass Pellegrini's Malaga, a side decimated of its best players.

I personally think Pellegrini is very underrated, and Pep a little over rated.

As Pellegrini is our manager, we see his failings and qualities every week. Do you not think Bayern fans question Pep? Do Bayern fans not wonder how they went from destroying Barcelona 7-0 to losing 5-0 to Real in one year?

While I'd be delighted to see Pep at City, it's by no means all important. Guardiola has effectively taken Bayern backwards, he's not replaced their aging star players, he seems to have struggled with the players in their pomp, Goetze, Muller ever Lewondowski. He's not replaced Robben or Ribery. Bayern have gone from the quadruple in Germany to 'just' league winners.

Yes he's won three leagues, but their squad looks a lot older and no where near as good as it did just 3-4 years ago.
Pep was exceptional at Barcelona, but Enrique proved that's not too hard and he's a poor manager with a pretty average record.

I'm not convinced by Pep, and I'm sure some of our fans would have issues with his style and his flaws which I'm sure he has. I'm not saying Pellegrini is better, nor am I saying keep Pellegrini at all costs. I'm saying careful what you wish for.
Pellegrini has his flaws, anyone can see that. But all managers do, I'm just aware that no manager is perfect.

I personally hope that Pellegrini wins as much as he can, I see us winning the league, so that would be two leagues in 3 seasons, yet some want him gone. As I say. Careful what you wish for, Pep has taken Bayern backwards in my opinion and statistically. United wanted rid of Moyes, they have the tactical turtle, Real wanted Anchelotti out, they now have Rafa. Chelsea are stuck with 'the special one' who's turning them into a joke. Arsenal have Wenger who has been in the job 20 years yet has made the same mistakes for a decade.

Yet we have some desperate to replace Pellegrini. I'm a big Mancini fan, loved him but we've improved immeasurably from finishing bottom of our CL group, a distant second to an awful United side and losing an FA Cup final to relegated Wigan.

Pellegrini needs to learn he and seems too. 442 seems largely to be a thing of the past, the ridiculously high line appears to be a little deeper and the often slow build up replaced by quick smooth play. He's even recognised that Ya Ya will often need help.
If he just learns to play Silva centrally and never play Caballero again we should be fine.

Last edited:
Might have been in the circle you were mixing with. Not sure you can claim the majority of BM ers would agree. Also, Klopp would probably be the last manager our owners would have looked at as his persona might not have been to their liking.

@JoeMercer'sWay got it bang on. Let's not start with the revisionism now he's going to the dippers. When Klopp announced he was leaving Dortmund most on here wanted him to replace Manuel in the summer.

The only dispute was as to who we saw as the better fit for us, Klopp or Guardiola.

I was of the opinion that I wanted Klopp to replace Manuel only if we couldn't secure Pep. I wasn't big on what I saw as gambling another year on Manuel, with rumours about Pep abound, but the extended contract has lessened that aspect somewhat.

So I'm content at present, as long as Guardiola arrives in the summer then we'll have done well.

If he doesn't, we'll have majorly dropped a bollock. Which is where my anxiety currently lies.

@JoeMercer'sWay got it bang on. Let's not start with the revisionism now he's going to the dippers. When Klopp announced he was leaving Dortmund most on here wanted him to replace Manuel in the summer.

The only dispute was as to who we saw as the better fit for us, Klopp or Guardiola.

I was of the opinion that I wanted Klopp to replace Manuel only if we couldn't secure Pep. I wasn't big on what I saw as gambling another year on Manuel, with rumours about Pep abound, but the extended contract has lessened that aspect somewhat.

So I'm content at present, as long as Guardiola arrives in the summer then we'll have done well.

If he doesn't, we'll have majorly dropped a bollock. Which is where my anxiety currently lies.

Which City fans thought Klopp was ideal to replace anyone at City? Klopp is a very good manager regardless of weather he ends up at Candlepool or not. He is far from ideal for City. He plays a rapid counter attacking style. Presses like no team I've ever seen and rely on a target man to allow a rapid front to back transisission of play. Incredibly high energy all over the pitch. Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Ya Ya probably Hart (as Klopp liked a 'sweeper' keeper) would all need to be replaced under Klopp or rather Klopp's only successful blue print.

Guardiola is liked because everything we have in place is suited to him.

Not sure if you're being serious or not? I'm guessing not. Pellegrini looks likely to win 2 leagues in 3 seasons playing in the main excellent football, only coming second in his worst season. A season with heavy FFP restrictions.

Klopp's best team, struggled and UEFA basically cheated to see them surpass Pellegrini's Malaga, a side decimated of its best players.

I personally think Pellegrini is very underrated, and Pep a little over rated.

As Pellegrini is our manager, we see his failings and qualities every week. Do you not think Bayern fans question Pep? Do Bayern fans not wonder how they went from destroying Barcelona 7-0 to losing 5-0 to Real in one year?

While I'd be delighted to see Pep at City, it's by no means all important. Guardiola has effectively taken Bayern backwards, he's not replaced their aging star players, he seems to have struggled with the players in their pomp, Goetze, Muller ever Lewondowski. He's not replaced Robben or Ribery. Bayern have gone from the quadruple in Germany to 'just' league winners.

Yes he's won three leagues, but their squad looks a lot older and no where near as good as it did just 3-4 years ago.
Pep was exceptional at Barcelona, but Enrique proved that's not too hard and he's a poor manager with a pretty average record.

I'm not convinced by Pep, and I'm sure some of our fans would have issues with his style and his flaws which I'm sure he has. I'm not saying Pellegrini is better, nor am I saying keep Pellegrini at all costs. I'm saying careful what you wish for.
Pellegrini has his flaws, anyone can see that. But all managers do, I'm just aware that no manager is perfect.

I personally hope that Pellegrini wins as much as he can, I see us winning the league, so that would be two leagues in 3 seasons, yet some want him gone. As I say. Careful what you wish for, Pep has taken Bayern backwards in my opinion and statistically. United wanted rid of Moyes, they have the tactical turtle, Real wanted Anchelotti out, they now have Rafa. Chelsea are stuck with 'the special one' who's turning them into a joke. Arsenal have Wenger who has been in the job 20 years yet has made the same mistakes for a decade.

Yet we have some desperate to replace Pellegrini. I'm a big Mancini fan, loved him but we've improved immeasurably from finishing bottom of our CL group, a distant second to an awful United side and losing an FA Cup final to relegated Wigan.

Pellegrini needs to learn he and seems too. 442 seems largely to be a thing of the past, the ridiculously high line appears to be a little deeper and the often slow build up replaced by quick smooth play. He's even recognised that Ya Ya will often need help.
If he just learns to play Silva centrally and never play Caballero again we should be fine.

Wind your neck in mate. You know I'm serious.

Pretty absurd to include a second title among Manuel's achievements here when there's more than 7 months of the season to spare by the way, are you serious?

You're very blinkered mate, frankly.

• Guardiola has taken Bayern backwards?

• Klopp's overrated?

• Pellegrini's very poor second season (which included an early stage home FA cup exit to a Championship side, and a early stage home League Cup exit to a second string Newcastle side), is entirely excused because he could only spend £50m net that summer?

Come off it.

I'm fully with you in that I want Pellegrini to have a successful year this season, what on earth makes you think otherwise? It's an absurd notion to suggest otherwise. A successful year for Pellegrini means a successful season for City, and that's what we all want. But that won't change my position on us requiring a managerial upgrade if available.

I want Manuel to collect us a few pots, and then ride off into the sunset as his swansong with all our well wishes - for us to welcome a managerial upgrade in the shape of Guardiola coming in the opposite direction.

Of course all managers have their flaws, but they don't all have the same number of flaws or in the same areas.

Guardiola is the better manager than Pellegrini, this shouldn't be up for dispute.

We need a top tier manager to truly take this side on to the next level.

That, is my only agenda; what's best for City.

We have among the best players in Europe at this club, and have done for a number of years, but the one thing we haven't had since the takeover is a top tier manager. We've had a couple of good ones, but not a truly exceptional one.

That is the next step in our evolution as far as I'm concerned.

Now I'm going to support Manuel throughout the season, I'll sing his name at games and I'll keep my criticisms confined to places like this thread. I want what's best for this club and that means getting behind the current incumbent until the season's close. We all need to pull in the same direction.

But what I do expect is for us to move heaven and earth if a manager like Guardiola is available next summer, anything less would not be working in the best interests of Manchester City Football Club - and that is where my ultimate allegiance lies, not an individual player or manager.

Which City fans thought Klopp was ideal to replace anyone at City? Klopp is a very good manager regardless of weather he ends up at Candlepool or not. He is far from ideal for City. He plays a rapid counter attacking style. Presses like no team I've ever seen and rely on a target man to allow a rapid front to back transisission of play. Incredibly high energy all over the pitch. Silva, De Bruyne, Aguero, Ya Ya probably Hart (as Klopp liked a 'sweeper' keeper) would all need to be replaced under Klopp or rather Klopp's only successful blue print.

Guardiola is liked because everything we have in place is suited to him.

"Which City fans thought Klopp was ideal to replace anyone at City?"

A very significant proportion of this sub during the summer.

I think, and thought, that Guardiola was the ideal candidate. But I'd have taken Klopp this summer had we known there was no possibility of Pep in a year's time.

Pretty absurd to include a second title among Manuel's achievements here when there's more than 7 months of the season to spare by the way, are you serious?

• Klopp's overrated?

• Pellegrini's very poor second season (which included an early stage home FA cup exit to a Championship side, and a early stage home League Cup exit to a second string Newcastle side), is entirely excused because he could only spend £50m net that summer?

Come off it.

I'm fully with you in that I want Pellegrini to have a successful year this season, what on earth makes you think otherwise? It's an absurd notion to suggest otherwise. A successful year for Pellegrini means a successful season for City, and that's what we all want. But that won't change my position on us requiring a managerial upgrade if available.

I want Manuel to collect us a few pots, and then ride off into the sunset as his swansong with all our well wishes - for us to welcome a managerial upgrade in the shape of Guardiola coming in the opposite direction.

Of course all managers have their flaws, but they don't all have the same number of flaws or in the same areas.

Guardiola is the better manager than Pellegrini, this shouldn't be up for dispute.

We have among the best players in Europe at this club, and have done for a number of years, but the one thing we haven't had since the takeover is a top tier manager. We've had a couple of good ones, but not a truly exceptional one.

Now I'm going to support Manuel throughout the season, I'll sing his name at games and I'll keep my criticisms confined to places like this thread. I want what's best for this club and that means getting behind the current incumbent until the season's close. We all need to pull in the same direction.

But what I do expect is for us to move heaven and earth if a manager like Guardiola is available next summer, anything less would not be working in the best interests of Manchester City Football Club - and that is where my ultimate allegiance lies, not an individual player or manager.

Yes, Pep has taken Bayern backwards. That's what I consider a down trend in success. Do you consider the treble to title only as progression?

Never said Klopp was over rated, I rate him no higher than or lower than Pellegrini, I said his style of play would not suit ours or our squad. I also said his high flying BVB were incredibly lucky to best Pellegrini's side of free transfers and unwanted players.

Yes Pellegrini had a poor second season, I expect and as it looks thus far he has learnt from this. That is exactly what I said.

Your original post was so sensational I assumed it was a joke. Along the lines of, we best get Guardiola if we've missed out on Klopp or we are doomed. I thought this was a joke.

Klopp is no better than Pellegrini, nothing to suggest he is.

So you're basically saying, it's Pep or bust. I wholeheartedly disagree.

• Klopp's overrated?

Come off it.

We all want what is best for City, that's a given. And whilst (also a given) Pep is an excellent manager, he hasn't managed in the PL and there are no guarantees that he will should he come. I get that Manuel is on the road to retirement, but he has achieved in this daunting league so to say today Pep is a "managerial upgrade" is somewhat speculative at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.