Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played a similar gameplan at Old Trafford, but with a slightly different formation. If the attacking players had done better we would have picked them off on the break like we did Sevilla. However using Yaya as a number 10 didn't work there, because it never works, and Pellegrini hinted that he'd finally got that message before last night's game.

Added to the fact that Utd usually have at least 7 players behind the ball for about 85 of the 90 mins, & wait/hope for a mistake from the opposition.

Not as good and gets hamstring injuries. I'd be very nervous if he started a big match in Dinho's role from last night. Much rather seeing him as the deep sitting player and Fernando given the license to roam and close down.

You shouldn't be nervous. I'd be more nervous with him in the deeper role as he sometimes over plays it and keeps hold of the ball too long (though that's based on him playing for a Villa side lacking any movement up front). He's nail the Fernandinho role of chasing the ball high up the pitch, he's very quick and aggressive and reads the game well. He isn't anywhere near Fernandinho's level but hopefully he stays fit as he's an excellent player for our squad in the long term. Just hope he has the mentality to succeed. The will he won't he sign moment makes me question whether he has the bottle to fight for his place and believe in his ability. Having said that, though England's group was piss easy he made the transition to International football very smoothly.

Have a look at the game again & see where Sterling in particular & Navas do most of their work.

On the whole, they are only wide when Seville have the ball, & not always then. Both spent a lot of the game within the width of the Seville penalty area, sometimes even when defending. Their starting position may often be wide (Navas moreso than Sterling) but they are doing most of their work in more central areas, thus helping the midfield & striker.

When Bony scores, Sterling is in front of him at the near post.

I think we are going round in circles and are of similar opinions anyhow, I believe they give us more natural width with and without the ball than say silva and kdb, as I said though that doesn't make them touch line hugging out and out wingers

It was an epic win last night. It showed that Yaya, Fernando and Fernandinho can play together if they're used in the right games and if the right forward players are used in combination with them. Against the rags we showed a level of pragmatism and hoped for a similar result to last night, but turtle doesn't allow as much space for teams to threaten and it became like a game of chess where both teams didn't want to risk losing in pursuit of winning the game. Fernandinho didn't do as much hussling high up the pitch, Yaya wasn't effective as he was isolated in the no.10 role which isn't a position he is good in, and we didn't go for pace on both sides in an attacking sense.

What we are seeing is a great improvement in our squad. Sterling, De Bruyne and Otamendi have all added something. Kolarov, Sagna, Mangala and Fernando have all improved and Bony is now finding his feet at this level. In Nacho we've also a very talented forward. To perform that well in Europe without Aguero and Silva is remarkable and it's because Pellegrini knows his squad, and is starting to understand which formations and tactics work where. He predicted Sevilla's play perfectly and implemented the perfect style to beat them. We can probably bring in De Bruyne for Navas, Nacho for Fernando (with Yaya deeper) and implement the same high pressing against Villa and win the game. That style of play is effective, we just need to get the right personnel to beat the team we're facing. The same lineup against a team that sits deep might be less effective. Against the likes of Liverpool though it will be very effective in my opinion. Juve will be hard to break down and we might therefore need the guile of De Bruyne and/or Silva to carve out chances. It's less likely they'll allow themselves to be caught in possession and give us so many opportunities.

It will be interesting to see how juventus approach the game after last nights results, we certainly don't need to chase the game

It will be interesting to see how juventus approach the game after last nights results, we certainly don't need to chase the game

They'll do the same as they did in Manchester and park the bus hoping for Buffon and pure luck to bail them out again.

Much like I told the guy sat in front of me against Norwich, he was screaming at City to attack, look he said, look how quick they attack. I pointed out that Norwich had space to attack, as we were the attacking side, we can't run into the space if there is non.
I had a very similar conversation, Norwich counter attacked 2-3 players, yet we had 10 to deal with, so its not likely to be as easy. Having said that the tempo against Norwich wasn't right, we were far too slow, even when we did get behind them, there were also a number of early good balls over the top, we failed to take advantage of any of them, due to poor finishing, and too many simply didn't play well enough, the contrast between Saturday and last night was like black and white.

I think he showed equal flexibility/pragmatism for the rags and Palace games too. My main doubt is whether he's got the balls to rotate on occasion at Yaya's expense.

Delighted to see the praise for Pellegrini though. So many viewed him as disposable before the start of the season.

He certainly showed signs in those games. Before that he'd have the same formation every week and the subs had already been decided before we even kicked off. Last season i was beginning to convince myself i was mystic meg, i'd predict who came on for who in order and rough times for near enough every home game. He was that predictable. Against United though, i thought the MDM sub was a great decision. It showed he was actually watching the game and adapted to what was happening on the pitch. I'll always back him whilst he's manager but I've been someone who's quietly wanted him gone since last January, i don't suddenly see him as indispensable, it's going to take more of the same before that happens but i'm more than happy to see him prove me wrong these last few games and he definitely deserves as much credit as the players for last night.

Our set up last night was perfect against a team who look to attack. It would have been similar to the swamp had Seville sat deep with a flat back four and two holding midfielders with no striker threat. Pellegrini played a perfect game. That selection would be perfect at Arsenal but no doubt fail vs Chelsea or rags at home.

This seems to me to be the main point. Utd set up with a defensive line-up. Sevilla didn't. Fernandinho wouldn't have been as effective against a six-man defence as he wouldn't have had the space.

Just need any egos to buy into occasional bench duty from time to time - e.g. Silva to play vs massed defence, de Bruyne against more open teams.

Very impressed with how Manuel is going about resting the team. Giving Sterling some time off the pitch really helped him, and now DeBruyne is getting the same. He's now done the same with Vinnie and now it's Mangala who is getting the rest.

He's keeping everyone he can really fresh. I'd expect Yaya to see the bench as soon as David returns and Delph will get a run shortly enough to allow one of the Ferns to get a rest.

Such a shame we can't afford that luxury with Kolarov and Sagna yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.