Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very impressed with how Manuel is going about resting the team. Giving Sterling some time off the pitch really helped him, and now DeBruyne is getting the same. He's now done the same with Vinnie and now it's Mangala who is getting the rest.

He's keeping everyone he can really fresh. I'd expect Yaya to see the bench as soon as David returns and Delph will get a run shortly enough to allow one of the Ferns to get a rest.

Such a shame we can't afford that luxury with Kolarov and Sagna yet.
I agree although [and going on my own amateur experience] at the ages that Kolarov and Sagna are, it's probably better that they just keep playing so their legs don't seize up. Their training routines can be managed accordingly. I don't think that they need to practice playing any more! They are what they are as footballers now.

I had a very similar conversation, Norwich counter attacked 2-3 players, yet we had 10 to deal with, so its not likely to be as easy. Having said that the tempo against Norwich wasn't right, we were far too slow, even when we did get behind them, there were also a number of early good balls over the top, we failed to take advantage of any of them, due to poor finishing, and too many simply didn't play well enough, the contrast between Saturday and last night was like black and white.

Pellegrini said after the game he wasn't happy with our tempo against the rags or Norwich. Despite the change in formation we've seen the style of play being high and intense pressing of the ball is something he expects in every game. We've not seen that and he's worked in training on one touch passing to move the ball quickly in order to find space in which to attack. The formation was perfect for last night, but the quick movement and quick passing helped us create those chances. Against Norwich we'd have created a lot more if we'd done the same. When we did manage it (like with the Nacho to Bony chance outside the box) we had opportunities. The Palace cup game showed what we can do when we move it quickly and the pressing will be successful against teams that try and park the bus. I don't know what Villa will try and do this weekend, but quick passing and movement will cause them problems.

I'd love us to get Guardiola but I don't want to see Manuel go. He's been an absolute gent and credit where its due he's got us playing some of the best football in the league and created a squad (along with txiki) which I could see going far in europe. The reason for wanting Guardiola is that I see him as a manager that can take clubs to that elite level and I'm not saying that Manuel can't but I just feel its more likely under Guardiola.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.