Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The squad is vastly superior
  • The performances are better than that season
  • The results are better than that season
  • Our attacking record is better and defensive record is around the same
  • We have actually won more than 0 games in Europe this season
  • We have dropped points in less games than at this point in that season and the point tally is the same
  • The manager isn't getting photographed punching his players
  • We've gotten past the 3rd round of the League Cup
I think some of you lot are forgetting that season. By this point then we were out of the League Cup, effectively out of the Champions League, were 6 points already behind the rags and had just lost the home derby to them. We had Maicon as our backup right back, Kolo Toure as our backup defender when we weren't putting Javi Garcia there, attempted to play 3 at the back for the first 4 games and drew 3 of them, Balotelli kicking off, Edin Dzeko kicking off, Carlos Tevez kicking off, Joleon Lescott getting pushed out the door, Vincent Kompany and David Silva reportedly kicking off, Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair as genuine contenders for a place in our team and had lost out on almost every major transfer target we went for in the summer leading to the manager slagging off the board in a press conference, the board slagging of Mancini in the press then Mancini slagging off the press officer to a bunch of journalists.
I'd disagree that the squad is VASTLY superior. We've lost players like Barry, Lescott, Tevez, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo & De Jong.
The performances/results are certainly not better. We've lost 4 games v 1 that season and we've got one less point than we had at the same point.
We've scored 2 but let in 3 more goals.
We've certainly done a lot better in Europe so I'l give you that one and the manager is definitely less disruptive (although MP might piss players off in his own way).
I'm not sure I'd judge a season based on how well we did in the League Cup.

From a footballing point of view I'd say there's very little in it but I don't recall being as disappointed with our performances as I have been this season. Off the field then I'll happily agree there's no comparison.

The squad is superior yet performance wise we're doing shit and I won't be surprised if we had more points at this stage in 12/13 season than we do now

Champions league we had dortmund who went to the final and madrid ffs!

We had the best defensive record in the league

We have demichelis and fernando

I'm pretty sure kompany and pellers had a bit of a disagreement this season
Things aren't perfect, but injuries to 3 key players are a factor and yet we are in contention for the league...again. In the semi-final of the League Cup and topped a difficult Champions League group.

Not a single club in England would trade places with us right now.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Chelsea or Man Utd fan right now. One club without a manager, the other watching the most boring team in the country slipping out of all competitions.

The Premiership has got a lot tougher because all the teams are loaded. City I think should be doing better. In part I think we're trying to play the football that suited us so well with our original players when we should be moving on.

I'd disagree that the squad is VASTLY superior. We've lost players like Barry, Lescott, Tevez, Dzeko, Jovetic, Negredo & De Jong.
The performances/results are certainly not better. We've lost 4 games v 1 that season and we've got one less point than we had at the same point.
We've scored 2 but let in 3 more goals.
We've certainly done a lot better in Europe so I'l give you that one and the manager is definitely less disruptive (although MP might piss players off in his own way).
I'm not sure I'd judge a season based on how well we did in the League Cup.

From a footballing point of view I'd say there's very little in it but I don't recall being as disappointed with our performances as I have been this season. Off the field then I'll happily agree there's no comparison.
We've been successful because the likes of Hart, Kompany, Silva, Barry, Aguero and most of all Toure raised us above the ordinary.

But 1/2 are missing or not what they were. Meanwhile those that have come in are making their mark, but will improve still further (KDB, Sterling, Otamendi)

See he's 3rd on average points per game and he's now top on win %. I know we might do better with someone else but we might not. Whatever happens, him having the highest win percentage in premier league history of everyone who has managed on more than 15 games, would suggest that he's not a no-nothing, no-mark who has very little idea of football and what goes on. I worry that this might all end in a 'be careful what you wish for' way. Mind you, following City for as long as I have, I couldn't think any other way!

Things aren't perfect, but injuries to 3 key players are a factor and yet we are in contention for the league...again. In the semi-final of the League Cup and topped a difficult Champions League group.

Not a single club in England would trade places with us right now.

Put yourself in the shoes of a Chelsea or Man Utd fan right now. One club without a manager, the other watching the most boring team in the country slipping out of all competitions.

The Premiership has got a lot tougher because all the teams are loaded. City I think should be doing better. In part I think we're trying to play the football that suited us so well with our original players when we should be moving on.

He should be judged on the job he is doing here, the fact others are fucking up even more doesn't give him a pass, he can't keep relying on nice draws and a poor league, if Chelsea were shit last year we would have won the league, but they weren't so we didn't, he has been poor for most of his tenure, circumstances have dictated what he has achieved

He may get lucky again this season, still a poor manager though

He should be judged on the job he is doing here, the fact others are fucking up even more doesn't give him a pass, he can't keep relying on nice draws and a poor league, if Chelsea were shit last year we would have won the league, but they weren't so we didn't, he has been poor for most of his tenure, circumstances have dictated what he has achieved

He may get lucky again this season, still a poor manager though

Or maybe the other PL teams have simply improved. Some on here have this cloud cuckoo belief that only we are allowed to get better - everyone else will stay static or regress.

• The squad is vastly superior
  • The performances are better than that season
  • The results are better than that season
  • Our attacking record is better and defensive record is around the same
  • We have actually won more than 0 games in Europe this season
  • We have dropped points in less games than at this point in that season and the point tally is the same
  • The manager isn't getting photographed punching his players
  • We've gotten past the 3rd round of the League Cup
I think some of you lot are forgetting that season. By this point then we were out of the League Cup, effectively out of the Champions League, were 6 points already behind the rags and had just lost the home derby to them. We had Maicon as our backup right back, Kolo Toure as our backup defender when we weren't putting Javi Garcia there, attempted to play 3 at the back for the first 4 games and drew 3 of them, Balotelli kicking off, Edin Dzeko kicking off, Carlos Tevez kicking off, Joleon Lescott getting pushed out the door, Vincent Kompany and David Silva reportedly kicking off, Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair as genuine contenders for a place in our team and had lost out on almost every major transfer target we went for in the summer leading to the manager slagging off the board in a press conference, the board slagging of Mancini in the press then Mancini slagging off the press officer to a bunch of journalists.
Yeah, but apart from all that..... :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.