Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can smell your fear and I think you are wrong. I think they are a long way and a lot of money from being title contenders for the foreseeable future, unless they get bought by someone with deep pockets. They aren't a well run club any more. They can of course generate a lot of money, which is what ultimately any club needs to win the league. But as it stands I don't believe there is the infrastructure in place for them to win the league.
They are only 3 points behind us. I feel if they miss out on the Champions League this year, some serious damage will be done. They will have to rebuild again, and no susperstar Rooney to rescue them. Or probably De Gea.

They could respond in the League though even if LVG does make some very strange decisions at times

I can smell your fear and I think you are wrong. I think they are a long way and a lot of money from being title contenders for the foreseeable future, unless they get bought by someone with deep pockets. They aren't a well run club any more. They can of course generate a lot of money, which is what ultimately any club needs to win the league. But as it stands I don't believe there is the infrastructure in place for them to win the league.

It's certainly not fear, it's just a fairly pragmatic view that things can change quite quickly, and especially if you can throw a lot of money at a problem. To say they're no longer one of the big boys is very short sighted in my opinion.

There's no question we're the better run club these days, and Guardiola's appointment would help cement that. Dismissing United out of hand for the foreseeable future is either foolhardy or naive though.

They're only a good manager and a few good players away from challenging to win the league
But Liverpool have been saying that for 20 years and Arsenal for 10 years. And I'm not sure that the owners have the ambition to break the mould and shell out the £200 mill required, and I'm not sure they have the personnel to make sure that money is not wasted.

I'm not saying they are finished as a club of course, because they can generate great revenue. But they have institutionalised problems I think which will keep them way below us for years.

In 133 games under Pellegrini we have scored 4+ goals 31 times.

That's bloody incredible isn't it?

It's certainly not fear, it's just a fairly pragmatic view that things can change quite quickly, and especially if you can throw a lot of money at a problem. To say they're no longer one of the big boys is very short sighted in my opinion.

There's no question we're the better run club these days, and Guardiola's appointment would help cement that. Dismissing United out of hand for the foreseeable future is either foolhardy or naive though.
Of course it's naive, and many blues do it. I just chalk it up to a deep emotional dislike for the rags, and a 'hope' that they rot and fail. But factually speaking, it is simply unlikely they will fall away anytime soon. They are still a top tier club, just in a funk. And not that bad of a funk for that matter. I mean, they are not Chelsea.

Of course it's naive, and many blues do it. I just chalk it up to a deep emotional dislike for the rags, and a 'hope' that they rot and fail. But factually speaking, it is simply unlikely they will fall away anytime soon. They are still a top tier club, just in a funk. And not that bad of a funk for that matter. I mean, they are not Chelsea.

Yep, it's nonsense, of course. Being the best run club in the country doesn't stop other teams challenging for, or even winning the league, although, over the longer term, it should make you the most successful. The idea that United, even with the mess they are now in, couldn't mount a title challenge, or even win it, with a new manager and a few new players is absurd.

But Liverpool have been saying that for 20 years and Arsenal for 10 years. And I'm not sure that the owners have the ambition to break the mould and shell out the £200 mill required, and I'm not sure they have the personnel to make sure that money is not wasted.

I'm not saying they are finished as a club of course, because they can generate great revenue. But they have institutionalised problems I think which will keep them way below us for years.

When you look at what Liverpool and Arsenal have spent in a premiership window , Say Liverpool under Rodgers and what they will spend under Klopp its going to be much more than 200 mill in transfer fees alone.

Other than Suarez Liverpool haven't got a great return for their outlay and Rogers isn't now nor ever going to be a top manager.

Having lots of money is a help of course but its how you spend it that really matters.

Tbf they now have Klopp

IF they qualify for CL then I think they'll get decent players and challenge us for the title next season...if they don't qualify they'll be screwed imo

What's been in front of them has also changed, out of necessity, and you could argue injury has meant our fit full backs have been overworked. Furthermore, Vinny and Joe are still our most important defenders by a distance.

Doesn't change the fact that, however you look at it, we need to improve.

No argument there. The defensive problems run from front to back, and the current preferred system is almost inoperable using particular combinations of players

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say United "aren't a big boy any more". They're only three points behind us, and were only nine points behind us last season. They're in a rut at the moment, but their financial clout means they can bounce back relatively quickly.

One of the things I hate about them is the way they just conjure money out of thin air. Sponsors sign outrageous deals and before you know it, they renegotiate it upwards. The Glazers may be in it for the money but they aren't stupid. They refinance, they sell non voting shares, they invent new sponsorship categories. They also know they have to invest to keep the golden pig shitting.

I also hate the way their financial set up slides by FFP while ours gets caught right in its purposely designed trap.

You can never write them off financially. Best we can hope for is a succession of crappy managers who blow the cash or piss off the players.

But for the first time in my life we have people who both know what they are doing financially and have real clout so the Rags can bring it on as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.