Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those wanting him gone, you will get your wish soon enough but if you think a new manager can suddenly turn lazy players into something they are not you are in for a shock.

Yet again we saw players unwilling to take responsibility, players unwilling to do the dirty work off the ball and players unwilling to track their runners.

Buck stops with the manager and it isn't good enough but at some point, the players have to pull their collective fucking fingers out and i include Kun, Merlin etc in that.

Im genuinely fucking angry at 60 minutes of that performance last night and the sheer lack of professionalism shown by some.

If they were then lazy, and I don't believe they are, then surely that would be sorted by the manager? If not then he's not doing his job. The final straw for me, with "This Stubborn Man", was his team selection v Barca at home last season.

After last nights game and looking at our overall performances this season it really is damning on the team.

We have lost more games than Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Everton. In that process we have been easily outplayed by the likes of Stoke, Liverpool, Spurs and even Arsenal. All of them sides had chances to or did put at least 4 past us. Then you look at the games like Norwich, Swansea and Crystal Palace where we only just managed to scrape a win past them.

There was a time where we would demolish sides and only lose by the odd goal. Now it seems we are getting demolished by sides and only winning by the odd goal. When you consider the players we have and the money we have spent it quite clearly is not good enough.

I do not for one second absolve any of our players from criticism, as it is partially their fault for the situation we are in. I'm sure Pellegrini doesn't tell the likes of De Brunye and Aguero to waste golden chances. I'm also sure he doesn't tell Mangala to defend like a 10 year old girl as well.

However, the brunt end of the stick will always go to the manager and rightly so in this case.

There was a famous quote from Pellegrini after he left Madrid where he said, "We have too many conductors and not enough brass players". He said this in regards to having a squad filled to the brim with attacking talent. You would expect a manager who has complained on having the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema in his squad to acknowledge the importance of balance.

With this in mind, why the fuck would you play Yaya, Silva, KDB and Aguero all in the same line-up away at Arsenal? Our best performances have been when we have had pace and balance. Sevilla away and Everton away we had Sterling and Navas on the wings who both defended and got forward quickly. After last season when Arsenal came to the Etihad and comfortably beat us, you would have expected Pellegrini to adopt a similar approach. Instead he let Arsenal, who the pressure was on, play like the away side and they picked us apart.

Silva, De Brunye and Yaya are all players who look for the final ball rather than get on the end of them. Playing them 3 when having Delph on a wing and asking Fernandinho to be defence minded meant that the only outlet we had was Aguero. Hence why we kept passing backwards of hoofing it long.

Pellegrini can still win the league this year. He just needs to pick the players best suited to the formation he is going with. None of this half and half starting 11 bullshit. If we are playing to counter attack a team then you drop Silva and Yaya for Sterling and Navas. If we are playing someone like Sunderland at home then go 4-4-2.

I'm predicting the end of our season off of our current form, what are you basing your predictions off?

I dont know, a bit of belief in a squad thats delivered so much to us over the last few years and a manager who won us the double in his first season and despite how much you protest, could well clean up this.

Please dont respond with Mancini's team ffs.

Don't disagree with this. But we took a punt on a youngster to replace him and when that didn't work we went and bought the best defender in La Liga last year. We should be defending better.

We should, particularly with the players we have, but if you set up with no effective protection in front of the back four, any ordinary PL Joe will turn most back fours inside out!

I think the problem with Pellers is that he sets out to win the game playing flowing attacking football. Other managers, depending on the opposition, will start from the back and say "We ain't gonna lose this game!"

You only need on fuckin' mistake, one simple shot on goal, one shit ref (and we've had plenty) and the flowing football counts for fuck all!

I dont know, a bit of belief in a squad thats delivered so much to us over the last few years and a manager who won us the double in his first season and despite how much you protest, could well clean up this.

Please dont respond with Mancini's team ffs.
So you're arguing your point (based on belief) vs mine (based on current form)?

After last nights game and looking at our overall performances this season it really is damning on the team.

We have lost more games than Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Everton. In that process we have been easily outplayed by the likes of Stoke, Liverpool, Spurs and even Arsenal. All of them sides had chances to or did put at least 4 past us. Then you look at the games like Norwich, Swansea and Crystal Palace where we only just managed to scrape a win past them.

There was a time where we would demolish sides and only lose by the odd goal. Now it seems we are getting demolished by sides and only winning by the odd goal. When you consider the players we have and the money we have spent it quite clearly is not good enough.

I do not for one second absolve any of our players from criticism, as it is partially their fault for the situation we are in. I'm sure Pellegrini doesn't tell the likes of De Brunye and Aguero to waste golden chances. I'm also sure he doesn't tell Mangala to defend like a 10 year old girl as well.

However, the brunt end of the stick will always go to the manager and rightly so in this case.

There was a famous quote from Pellegrini after he left Madrid where he said, "We have too many conductors and not enough brass players". He said this in regards to having a squad filled to the brim with attacking talent. You would expect a manager who has complained on having the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka and Benzema in his squad to acknowledge the importance of balance.

With this in mind, why the fuck would you play Yaya, Silva, KDB and Aguero all in the same line-up away at Arsenal? Our best performances have been when we have had pace and balance. Sevilla away and Everton away we had Sterling and Navas on the wings who both defended and got forward quickly. After last season when Arsenal came to the Etihad and comfortably beat us, you would have expected Pellegrini to adopt a similar approach. Instead he let Arsenal, who the pressure was on, play like the away side and they picked us apart.

Silva, De Brunye and Yaya are all players who look for the final ball rather than get on the end of them. Playing them 3 when having Delph on a wing and asking Fernandinho to be defence minded meant that the only outlet we had was Aguero. Hence why we kept passing backwards of hoofing it long.

Pellegrini can still win the league this year. He just needs to pick the players best suited to the formation he is going with. None of this half and half starting 11 bullshit. If we are playing to counter attack a team then you drop Silva and Yaya for Sterling and Navas. If we are playing someone like Sunderland at home then go 4-4-2.

That's a really good post. I particularly agree with the last paragraph. Pellegrini needs to revert to what he knows best and stop trying to second guess himself. The examples of how to set up, as you point out, are there for him to look at from this season.

Your right we could still win the league and I hope we bloody do,but we won't with this fella in charge am afraid,that's the whole point of this discussion surely,making the change asap might save our season

time is up for Pellegrini!!
The sad thing is had we kept Mancini we would have had no doubt at least one more league and certainly one more cup. Gutted we have got to this state with Manuel and his lax approach to defense and structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.