Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said in the past, he's the ideal manager when things are going well; calm, unflappable, it's what you need so not to get carried away. On the flip side when the players need to be motivated when they've not been playing well I couldn't think of a worse figure to be the spearhead of the football side of things at our club. That face and that voice wouldn't motivate me to get out of bed if he told me there was a million pounds downstairs and it was only going to be there for another 30seconds, I'd roll back over and go to sleep. And his personality has crept into our play. We pass the ball like we're trying to hypnotise the opposition to sleep.

Laughable. Pellegrini managed two teams that were not being paid by the owners, the most well-known being Malaga. He not only got his players motivated (he refused to be paid while his players' salaries were due) he got them within 2 minutes of CL semis. I can't imagine a more dire situation than that as a player.

He was also exemplary dealing with the rotten apple situation in old-guard River Plate, Madrid (Raul, Guti) and Villarreal (Riquelme). I don't remember the famously awkward Madrid fans flapping as much as some "City-fans" even when Marca was doing the despicable witch-hunt against Pellegrini.

I do have a problem with the lack of closing down and the movement of the team when we are not is possession, it's probably my biggest gripe with Pellegrini. The one that especially irks me is when I see the front six move in one direction and the back four in another, leaving a gaping hole for the opposition to try and exploit. I would like to see us much more compact and moving together out of possession. I do "blame" the manager for this but, even so, I also sympathise with him when I see St David just stand there and let players run off him, which had me shouting at the TV a couple of times yesterday; inexcusable but I'd love to know if he does that with the manager's consent?

Therein lies the problem. Ya Ya cops most of the flak for his half arsed approach to tracking back and closing down, but as you suggest he's far from alone. Both Silva and De Bruyne are habitual offenders, with Kun something of a dilettante as well. KDB covers a lot of miles during games, but he jogs towards the man in possession and frequently gives up altogether once an opponent goes past him. The knock effect is Fernandinho and/or the centre halves getting sucked out of position to cover, with oceans of space then left in front of our back four centrally. The number of times yesterday that Watford players were able to pass the ball to a team mate stood barely 25 yards from our goal and no City player within 10 yards of them was nobody's business. Stark contrast then with our attacking players at the other end of the pitch, who were closed down and hassled the instant they received the ball. And a knock on effect of that is how much harder and riskier it makes our offside trap, when passes can be hit short distances through large gaps without fear of the ball rolling out of play for a goal kick.

We all looked forward to Dave, Kun, KDB, Ya Ya and Sterling in the same team, but it comes at too high a price IMO. There's a fair few City players, who are going to have to up their commitment levels significantly if they're going to have a future when Pep arrives in town. What we do in the meantime though I don't know, but if Pellers can't eke greater defensive discipline out of players like KDB and Silva, and also persuade Ya Ya and Sterling not to fall down looking for soft free kicks all the time whilst the opposition steams back upfield with the ball, then perhaps we might be better off going totally gung ho! At the moment Fernandinho and Hart are just about keeping our title winning chances intact. It's the toughest season ever in terms of the number of decent teams about, but we should be doing better nonetheless.

The 12 points clear is more a figure of speech i.e we should be comfortably ahead rather than a precise calculation of points. Before last night we hadn't won an away game since the 12th September. That's not a figure of speech.

Its a figure of garbage. We beat Seville, Borussia Monchengladbach & Sunderland away since 12th September.

I don't recall ever saying the manager is shit. What I have said is that Pellegrini consistently fails to get the most out of the group he has as evidenced by the shocking fact that until yesterday we hadn't won an away game in the Premier League since the 12th September. If you don't think it's the managers responsibility to decide how we prepare for a game, the way we train, the tactics we employ, the system we select, the players chosen to execute the plan and the steps taken when that execution or plan fails to ensure it doesn't happen next time, then I don't know what else to say to you.

Of course the manager sets us up nobody said otherwise. You are imagining stuff or just spouting bullshit to suit your cause and amplify some point.
The quote was highlighting your tone which is accurate to your posts.
Rather than paragraphs of cutting through every comment i think it covers your tone perfectly.

You can say nothing to me because i don't care what you have to say, it is that simple.

Your post history shows you have some weird hatred of Pellegrini and have done from the off, i can't fucking stand people like you i really can't.

Last edited:
Therein lies the problem. Ya Ya cops most of the flak for his half arsed approach to tracking back and closing down, but as you suggest he's far from alone. Both Silva and De Bruyne are habitual offenders, with Kun something of a dilettante as well. KDB covers a lot of miles during games, but he jogs towards the man in possession and frequently gives up altogether once an opponent goes past him. The knock effect is Fernandinho and/or the centre halves getting sucked out of position to cover, with oceans of space then left in front of our back four centrally. The number of times yesterday that Watford players were able to pass the ball to a team mate stood barely 25 yards from our goal and no City player within 10 yards of them was nobody's business. Stark contrast then with our attacking players at the other end of the pitch, who were closed down and hassled the instant they received the ball. And a knock on effect of that is how much harder and riskier it makes our offside trap, when passes can be hit short distances through large gaps without fear of the ball rolling out of play for a goal kick.

We all looked forward to Dave, Kun, KDB, Ya Ya and Sterling in the same team, but it comes at too high a price IMO. There's a fair few City players, who are going to have to up their commitment levels significantly if they're going to have a future when Pep arrives in town. What we do in the meantime though I don't know, but if Pellers can't eke greater defensive discipline out of players like KDB and Silva, and also persuade Ya Ya and Sterling not to fall down looking for soft free kicks all the time whilst the opposition steams back upfield with the ball, then perhaps we might be better off going totally gung ho! At the moment Fernandinho and Hart are just about keeping our title winning chances intact. It's the toughest season ever in terms of the number of decent teams about, but we should be doing better nonetheless.
Going totally gung ho is all well and good but it only gets us so far. In his first season it delivered the title, just, but teams quickly sussed us out and we were given an embarassing lesson in Europe by Guardiola's Munich team who ripped us to shreds. A big decision is needed and I said earlier in the thread that our stand out away performance this season came when we played a 433 in Seville, and that's no coincidence. Does the manager have the nous/bollocks to drop one of the famous five? It doesn't have to be the same player that misses out every time, so he can dress it up as rest/rotation to ease bruised egos, but it needs to be done.

changes were forced apon him, he had no option but to go 3 at the back we were behind, think people here are confusing genuis tactics with tactic forced on him. im hoping now that will spark some life into us away from home, it will help us kick on.

Not being funny, but we didn't go 3 at the back, Fernandinho played centre half until MD came on

That's just horseshit, no offence.

Pellegrini can decide whether to play a high back line or not. It's up to him how much protection he gives the CB's. It's down to him whether we play one or two up top and which personnel to use. It's down to him whether to go more compact and direct against a team employing a high press (Liverpool and Stoke as an example) and bypass the midfield a bit more. We are lethargic as for some reason, the man paid a fortune to inspire/motivate/bollock/cajole them seems unable to do so any longer.

It's all about Pellegrini, that's the point of having a head coach in charge. That's why the top ones get paid the same as top players. It's why people like Flores/Ranieri at Watford/Leicester can produce dynamic sides that play to their strengths and have them punching well above their respective weights. Because they get the best of of their players.

Pellegrini has the best squad in the league performing well below the sum of their parts. It's fucking frustrating but he is here until the summer and I just hope we manage to finish top 3 as a damage limitation exercise before Pep signs.
If that's what you believe, fine. But I've seen Pep's team get smashed 5-0 in the Champs league. The reason why? Well he didn't have his wing demons. Injury and off form players changes performance. It did with Pep and has with us.

But if it makes you feel better, believe it's all Pelegrini.

If that's what you believe, fine. But I've seen Pep's team get smashed 5-0 in the Champs league. The reason why? Well he didn't have his wing demons. Injury and off form players changes performance. It did with Pep and has with us.

But if it makes you feel better, believe it's all Pelegrini.
Yes, but who were Bayern playing in the CL? It certainly wasn't the Stoke's & West Ham Utd's of this world. With the talent we have, our team seem to rarely play to their potential. We seem defensively uncertain and don't seem to be anywhere as potent in attack as we used to be. Forget injuries and FFP as all teams have injuries to contend with and most teams outside the G14 have FFP to worry about.

Many posters (me included) conceded that our performance against Watford was way below expectations (no disrespect to an excellent Watford side), and many concluded that at this point of the season its more about points than performances which got me thinking.

At what point of the season is it acceptable to disregard the performances? The reason I'm asking is because we seem to have been saying this for some time now and we've only just reached the halfway point of the season.

Is this the future we face under Manuel?

Can Manuel take us to the next level or has his effectiveness with our squad plateaued?

These are the 'Holistic' questions facing our owner and his team. The answers I believe will determine Manuel's future if it hasn't already been decided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.