Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: If Not Manuel Pellegrini then who?

mcfc482 said:
Arguably the transfers are more important than a new manager. This is a huge year. Need to refresh some key positions with big signings and bring the age of the squad down with quality young players.

Yes, although Klopp would be nice

I really wonder who would be the target of Barca/Real/Bayern in case if they change manager in near future.

Cant we go for those managers maybe before they get to them?:)

Barca was not scared to hire Villanova then another younger one without much elite experience in Luis Enrique and in between an older Argie coach Tata Martino which was bit of a gamble that didnt pay off at all. They seems to risk more than Bayern/Real in terms of choosing the manager. But also they tend towards the ones that know Barca system.

Real had everyone they could, Pelle, Mourinho, if they fire Ancelotti they only can go for Klopp probably. Cant see Guardiola/Simeone there. No way.

While Bayern might go for Klopp but that would be ugly after Klopp always cried they steal their players and then he joins them too.

Damanino said:
I really wonder who would be the target of Barca/Real/Bayern in case if they change manager in near future.

Marcelino (Villarreal) and Espirito Santo (Valencia) will be in high demand soon and could see Real or Barca going for them. Or Barca for Koeman or De Boer if they stick to the former player thing.

Bayern will go for one of the younger, stylish German coaches next I think. Roger Schmidt or Thomas Tuchel maybe. Or they could go for Low. I can see them wanting to get back to a slightly more "German" high tempo football style after Pep.

Wonder if Txiki is eyeing any of the above. Valverde, who was in fashion at the time as Valencia coach, was apparently under heavy consideration before we went for Pellegrini, but his stock has fallen now compared to the two Liga coaches above. You have to be careful to avoid the flash in the pan coaches like Laudrup who was 2013's Ronald Koeman and everyone's favourite to land a big job (now in Qatar).

LoveCity said:
Damanino said:

Marcelino (Villarreal) and Espirito Santo (Valencia) will be in high demand soon and could see Real or Barca going for them. Or Barca for Koeman or De Boer if they stick to the former player thing.

Bayern will go for one of the younger, stylish German coaches next I think. Roger Schmidt or Thomas Tuchel maybe. Or they could go for Low. I can see them wanting to get back to a slightly more "German" high tempo football style after Pep.

Wonder if Txiki is eyeing any of the above. Valverde, who was in fashion at the time as Valencia coach, was apparently under heavy consideration before we went for Pellegrini, but his stock has fallen now compared to the two Liga coaches above.

Well Txiki very likely to pick one of his "friends". Same names were in press when Mancini was under pressure and Txiki was already holding restaurant talks over Mancio's successor.:)
De Boer, Koeman, Valverde. Emery maybe too.

But these ones have zero CL track record, maybe 1-2 quarter final but thats it but they did not have the chance yet to manage really strong squads with actual CL chance.

Cant see Txiki going for a German coach. Most probably outcome we really going to wait for Guardiola.
Btw PSG might change too this summer as winning the league seems clear for them even if its close now, but many coaches can win the league with PSG squad in that league. And I expect them to lose to Chelsea tomorrow so not much CL success either with Blanc.

LoveCity said:
Damanino said:

Wonder if Txiki is eyeing any of the above. Valverde, who was in fashion at the time as Valencia coach, was apparently under heavy consideration before we went for Pellegrini, but his stock has fallen now compared to the two Liga coaches above. You have to be careful to avoid the flash in the pan coaches like Laudrup who was 2013's Ronald Koeman and everyone's favourite to land a big job (now in Qatar).

Either Vieira or de Boer might be the wildcards imho, He was considered as Mancini's replacement and according to reports the Dutchman was keen but said he wanted to stay a bit longer at Ajax, I don't think we will opt for Valverde despite having connections with Txiki Begiristain.

I just hope Bayern win the Champions League, I can see Pep calling it a day and viewing his time there as job done unless he wants to try and retain the Champions League, albeit he couldn't even do that with the greatest Barcelona side.

I am not ruling out Vieira personally, he plays some fantastic football with the EDS/ U19's and I have seen him make some key tactical decisions with and rotation of players in different positions to try and get a result.

I find it interesting he experiments as well, against Shalke he was having both the fullbacks coming into midfield to help with possession, thats from what I saw anyway.

He would help bring the kids through as well which could in essence save us a fortune.

I'm slowly coming round to Pep, thought he perhaps got lucky in the sense he had Puyol, Xavi, Inesta and Messi at Barca then allowed to not only have the best team in the league with Bayern but too then outspend every other team. I was also worried about him moving players out of position, for example I could see him moving Zaba in to a defensive midfield position, Milner(not that he'll stay) in to a right back and Sagna as a back up centre half and right back but according to his autobiography he focuses more time on defending than passing the ball. I also like his enthusiasm.

One worry would be he likes a core of 16 first team starters and with hopefully 55+ games a season we could run out of steam.

On Goal.com

11 Mar 2015 07:30:00

The Premier League club are unlikely to sack Manuel Pellegrini any time soon but they are not currently planning to extend his stay and are lining up a 2016 swoop for Pep

SPECIAL REPORT
By Paul Clennam

Manchester City's Premier League race is run and their Champions League adventure is nearing a familiar conclusion but the club will not be rushed in their pursuit of their No.1 managerial target.

Pep Guardiola has been the top choice to take the reins at the Etihad Stadium ever since Txiki Begiristain and Ferran Soriano were put in charge of football operations in 2012.

Their attempts to lure him to Manchester as Roberto Mancini's replacement were dealt a fatal blow in early 2013 when the Catalan coach agreed to take over at Bayern Munich.

But even before news of Guardiola's deal to take over at the Allianz Arena was obtained by Sky Sport Italia, which in turn forced the German giants to go public, Begiristain and Soriano, thanks to their close relationship with the coach, were well aware that they would not get their man.

The interest, however, has not diminished over the past two years. While current manager Manuel Pellegrini is in no impending danger of losing his job, the City hierarchy are continually planning for the future and Guardiola remains central to those plans.

And when talks over an extension to his current deal in Germany, which runs until next summer, were put on hold at the start of 2015, it set tongues wagging across the continent.

Recent reports in Germany had suggested first that Guardiola would leave Bayern this summer and then that he had already reached an agreement with his old friends in England. In Spain, meanwhile, there is the suggestion that he could be tempted back to Barcelona as part of any successful presidential campaign by Joan Laporta, another former ally.

His denial last week, however, was stern and hinted at a desire to stay with his current employers beyond the previously agreed three-year period.

"Manchester City? I did not receive any offers and I am not waiting for them. I hope to stay at Bayern Munich for a long time," he said.

"I have a contract with this wonderful club and aim to fulfil that. I have not received any offers.

"We'll sit down in the summer and talk. I am very happy here and this is an extraordinary club."

City executives will be well aware of Guardiola's intentions over the coming months, whether they tally with public statements or not.

It does, however, leave them in a difficult position. Despite mounting pressure in the wake of defeats to Barcelona and Liverpool, Pellegrini is not facing the sack and would only be shown the door should his team's form suffer a drastic downturn in fortunes.

But that is not to say that Pellegrini is a permanent fixture at the newly unveiled Etihad Campus. Like Guardiola, the Chilean's contract is up at the end of next season and no talks over an extension have taken place - nor are they scheduled.

It is essentially a delicate waiting game. Patrick Vieira, currently in charge of the club's 'Elite Development Squad', would most likely step into the breach until the end of the season in the currently unlikely event that Pellegrini gets the bullet.

Vieira is being readied as a potential manager of the future but would not want to take on a stop-gap role only to make way for Guardiola, or anybody else, 12 months down the line.

But who else is there? Diego Simeone has been considered but written off as too volatile. Jurgen Klopp was in the mix when Guardiola made the decision to join Bayern in early 2013 but had no desire to leave Dortmund at the time.

While the club are keen not to put all their eggs in one basket this time around, Guardiola, in truth, is the only option.

That brings with it a raft of implications. For one thing, the cost of bringing him in now and firing Pellegrini is calculated at around £15 million. Waiting another year, though, leaves the club in limbo.

While there is no suggestion of the rifts within the squad which did for City's hopes of defending their Premier League title in 2012-13, and ultimately for Mancini, there is a sense of malaise around the club at present.

Pellegrini's 4-4-2 formation has been increasingly called into question in the big games, with many hoping that he changes tack if he is to have any chance of overturning the 2-1 deficit against Barcelona in the Champions League last 16.

There are question marks around the club's recruitment in recent seasons, too, and while another summer of big spending could mean that the next man has some stellar names to select, it could become a problem if it is Guardiola who inherits them.

He, clearly, likes a certain type of attacking player and has very specific demands of his goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders. It is hard to see where recent big-money signings like Eliaquim Mangala, Fernandinho and Wilfried Bony, for example, would fit in.

But what is clear is that Guardiola is first choice for Manchester City and, in their pursuit of becoming one of Europe's biggest clubs, they will not allow themselves to miss out for a second time.

sam-caddick said:
I just hope Bayern win the Champions League, I can see Pep calling it a day and viewing his time there as job done unless he wants to try and retain the Champions League, albeit he couldn't even do that with the greatest Barcelona side.

I am not ruling out Vieira personally, he plays some fantastic football with the EDS/ U19's and I have seen him make some key tactical decisions with and rotation of players in different positions to try and get a result.

I find it interesting he experiments as well, against Shalke he was having both the fullbacks coming into midfield to help with possession, thats from what I saw anyway.

He would help bring the kids through as well which could in essence save us a fortune.

Not to mention that senior players at City have the utmost respect for Vieira which is an incredibly important starting point.

Kun Aguero said:
I'm slowly coming round to Pep, thought he perhaps got lucky in the sense he had Puyol, Xavi, Inesta and Messi at Barca then allowed to not only have the best team in the league with Bayern but too then outspend every other team. I was also worried about him moving players out of position, for example I could see him moving Zaba in to a defensive midfield position, Milner(not that he'll stay) in to a right back and Sagna as a back up centre half and right back but according to his autobiography he focuses more time on defending than passing the ball. I also like his enthusiasm.

One worry would be he likes a core of 16 first team starters and with hopefully 55+ games a season we could run out of steam.

I've seen this idea that Pep would move Zabba in to defensive midfield more than once now, and I just don't understand why people think he would? The only possible explanation is that he's played Lahm at defensive midfield.

Let's put this in to context though. The head of youth development at Bayern for the last 20 years has said Lahm is by far the biggest talent he has seen come through the academy. This is an academy that in that time has brought through Haaman, Babbel, Hummels, Badstuber, , Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Muller, and Kroos. So not a bad crop.

Pep has also said Lahm is the most intelligent footballer he has ever worked with. Bearing in mind he's worked with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Busquets, Pique, Muller, Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger etc, it's not too shabby a list he's worked with.

Lahm has won 6 league titles, played in 3 Champions League finals and captained a team to winning the World Cup. It's not a bad CV.

He's played in defensive midfield at times for Bayern, and his reading of the game, touch, pass selection, intelligence and technique has allowed him to look very good there against some of the top players of the world. To think Pep would try and play Zabba there simply because he's a full back too is just weird.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.