Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: If Not Manuel Pellegrini then who?

I'd promote Viera in the summer. If he sucks he'll be off and we can get someone more experienced. With out squad I don't think its experience that matters... It's respect and tactics. The higher stuff can be handled by the suits.

Shaelumstash said:
Kun Aguero said:
I'm slowly coming round to Pep, thought he perhaps got lucky in the sense he had Puyol, Xavi, Inesta and Messi at Barca then allowed to not only have the best team in the league with Bayern but too then outspend every other team. I was also worried about him moving players out of position, for example I could see him moving Zaba in to a defensive midfield position, Milner(not that he'll stay) in to a right back and Sagna as a back up centre half and right back but according to his autobiography he focuses more time on defending than passing the ball. I also like his enthusiasm.

One worry would be he likes a core of 16 first team starters and with hopefully 55+ games a season we could run out of steam.

I've seen this idea that Pep would move Zabba in to defensive midfield more than once now, and I just don't understand why people think he would? The only possible explanation is that he's played Lahm at defensive midfield.

Let's put this in to context though. The head of youth development at Bayern for the last 20 years has said Lahm is by far the biggest talent he has seen come through the academy. This is an academy that in that time has brought through Haaman, Babbel, Hummels, Badstuber, , Alaba, Schweinsteiger, Muller, and Kroos. So not a bad crop.

Pep has also said Lahm is the most intelligent footballer he has ever worked with. Bearing in mind he's worked with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Henry, Eto'o, Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Busquets, Pique, Muller, Robben, Ribery, Schweinsteiger etc, it's not too shabby a list he's worked with.

Lahm has won 6 league titles, played in 3 Champions League finals and captained a team to winning the World Cup. It's not a bad CV.

He's played in defensive midfield at times for Bayern, and his reading of the game, touch, pass selection, intelligence and technique has allowed him to look very good there against some of the top players of the world. To think Pep would try and play Zabba there simply because he's a full back too is just weird.

Is Pablo pacey enough to play as a full back in a Pep System?

Mancini tried Zaba as a defensive midfielder more than once.

Zaba's two footed, reads the game well, has a bit of bite and could be trusted to cover for both full backs when they re pushed forward. Obviously not every can play in the middle of the park but I think Pep would at least consider it.

Pellegrini is a good manager in so many respects. I love his attacking philosophy, I love the way he plays the media and I love the dignity and stability his management style brings to the club but his tactics are in desperate need of new ideas.

Me personally, I'd say to Pellegrini that his job was safe but on the condition that Vieira is brought in as his Assistant with a view to potentially taking over when Pellegrini's contract expires next summer.

Pellegrini benefits from a more youthful approach and new ideas, Vieira benefits by gaining experience without the pressure of being a manager. We benefits from the stability and a new tactical approach and hopefully with Vieira's influence more emphasis on bringing the younger players through from the EDS.

It might not work but we can't afford to let Vieira walk away without giving him a chance which I think is inevitable if a new manager is brought in on a 2/3 year contract. To me there's no outstanding candidates who would fit into the 'holistic' nature the club is aspirations of so we have nothing to lose.

fatbloke said:
Pellegrini is a good manager in so many respects. I love his attacking philosophy, I love the way he plays the media and I love the dignity and stability his management style brings to the club but his tactics are in desperate need of new ideas.

Me personally, I'd say to Pellegrini that his job was safe but on the condition that Vieira is brought in as his Assistant with a view to potentially taking over when Pellegrini's contract expires next summer.

Pellegrini benefits from a more youthful approach and new ideas, Vieira benefits by gaining experience without the pressure of being a manager. We benefits from the stability and a new tactical approach and hopefully with Vieira's influence more emphasis on bringing the younger players through from the EDS.

It might not work but we can't afford to let Vieira walk away without giving him a chance which I think is inevitable if a new manager is brought in on a 2/3 year contract. To me there's no outstanding candidates who would fit into the 'holistic' nature the club is aspirations of so we have nothing to lose.
Sorriano and Begiristain saw all the potential they needed in Guardiola when he was managing the Barcelona youth team. They chose him to manage Barcelona over the much more qualified Mourinho. I would love to know whether they see that same potential in Vieira. If they think he's good enough I don't think they will feel the need to team him up with Pellegrini.

Vieira went to see Guardiola in Munich last month. Was it to get some advice in preparation for taking over this summer?

fatbloke said:

Nail on head :-)

I would put him on the sidelines with MP now

If something is not done pretty quickly this season will fizzle out with no CL qualification.
If he is here next season all does not bode well.
Time for a change, and for me it would be Klopp. However I do not believe he meets what the Spanish Mafia`s Barcelona background requirement.

zandvoort blue said:
If something is not done pretty quickly this season will fizzle out with no CL qualification.
If he is here next season all does not bode well.
Time for a change, and for me it would be Klopp. However I do not believe he meets what the Spanish Mafia`s Barcelona background requirement.

We do need change and significant at that both on and off the field.

I cannot think of many players in our squad that would be part of a significant tilt at Euro success.

Performance wise we are a shadow of our best in 2011/12 and even parts of last year so I can only summise most of the squad are not up for the work required now.

We have to replace them over the next 3/4 transfer windows.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.