Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Paddy wouldn't be my first choice but I bet he would get players running through walls for him! Nobody would dare take the piss out of him! Also how many young players around the world would look upto paddy thinking really de brunne and POGBA! It may not be the worst move in the world as long as he was giving his way! Signings, tactics, formation! I would perfer though to see him move upto number 2 under a manager!

This obsession that Begiristain appears to have with regards to bringing Guardiola in as manager is pissing me off. The very idea that we could potentially go into next season with Pellegrini still in situ without having the backing of the hierarchy simply to run the clock down to Guardiola finishing his contract with Bayern is quite frankly absurd.

If the club want Pellegrini to remain as manager next season then back him in full. If as I suspect, they don't want him to remain as manager then sack him at the end of this season and draw up a list of candidates to replace him and if Guardiola is at the top of that list then offer him the job. If he says no then offer it to the next person on the list and move on. Pep Guardiola is not, and never will be bigger than Manchester City but Begiristain would appear to think that he is.

There was a feeling a while ago that Diego Simeone may have been available at the end of this season but we were told that he doesn't fit in with the vision of the football club, he is now no longer available. We know that Jurgen Klopp is available at the end of this season but we are being told that he doesn't fit in with the vision of the football club and he will soon no longer be available. We are turning our noses up at fantastic candidates who have achieved great things at other clubs because of some obsession with bringing in a manager who doesn't seem overjoyed at the prospect of managing City.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I'll be annoyed if its given to the unexperienced, unproven vieira.

Our exec team are not gods, they have to accept that they have to work with people who don't completely fit their style, it's called life.

I hope they deliver the elite coach we need for the next stage of our development, regardless of their own personal preference.
Same here, never said a bad word against any of them, but I will have serious reservations if they appoint Vieira, and I'm a big fan of his, and I really hope he one day turns out to be the right choice at the right time, however he isn't now.

cleavers said:
Mister Appointment said:
There isn't that internal pressure to win yet. We need a decade of winning things regularly and a good few more trophies before we have that. People used to say Mancini gave us a winning mentality. I disagree. That mentality will only come with time. Having one amazing season won't do that.
I disagree, there is huge internal pressure to win things, the owner doesn't want any season like this, its not good for business at the level we are at. Finishing 4th is a piss poor return on his investment (even of last summer), we still might not, but that is a potential banana skin all of its own, and failure to qualify then would be pretty disastrous,who ever is the manager. Of course its all speculation, we could still finish 2nd, and that might be enough.

However the owner and chairman will necessarily have a major inquiry into the goings on this season, it rightly won't happen till the season is over, no matter what discussions have already taken place with other potential coaches, but the internal pressure from Txiki down to Vieira is huge, and rightly so given what has been invested.

On the matter of replacements, one potential has pretty much ruled himself out, another just doesn't seem interested in our "model" no matter how much we could throw his way, one has signed a new deal, and doesnt fit the club anyway,another may be available we don't know, but the politics at his club won't decide, until its probably too late, and the rest touted are frankly caretaker's in all but name, and none of them give me any better feeling than the one we have already, not a great situation in my book, and one we have apparently backed ourselves into chasing a man who wasn't actually available anyway (and we knew it), just because he has mates at the club.

All that said the bigger need is a refresh of the squad IMHO, with the need for young hungry and ambitious players, who will put their reputations on the line, I think we bought one last year, and well see the best of him next season, he needs older heads around him, but ones that give a shit.
That last paragraph is the most important for me - big signings in key positions and the managerial appointment won't be as significant. I'd expect anyone worth their salt to be able to get us challenging.

Pablo1 said:
cleavers said:
Mister Appointment said:
There isn't that internal pressure to win yet. We need a decade of winning things regularly and a good few more trophies before we have that. People used to say Mancini gave us a winning mentality. I disagree. That mentality will only come with time. Having one amazing season won't do that.
I disagree, there is huge internal pressure to win things, the owner doesn't want any season like this, its not good for business at the level we are at. Finishing 4th is a piss poor return on his investment (even of last summer), we still might not, but that is a potential banana skin all of its own, and failure to qualify then would be pretty disastrous,who ever is the manager. Of course its all speculation, we could still finish 2nd, and that might be enough.

However the owner and chairman will necessarily have a major inquiry into the goings on this season, it rightly won't happen till the season is over, no matter what discussions have already taken place with other potential coaches, but the internal pressure from Txiki down to Vieira is huge, and rightly so given what has been invested.

On the matter of replacements, one potential has pretty much ruled himself out, another just doesn't seem interested in our "model" no matter how much we could throw his way, one has signed a new deal, and doesnt fit the club anyway,another may be available we don't know, but the politics at his club won't decide, until its probably too late, and the rest touted are frankly caretaker's in all but name, and none of them give me any better feeling than the one we have already, not a great situation in my book, and one we have apparently backed ourselves into chasing a man who wasn't actually available anyway (and we knew it), just because he has mates at the club.

All that said the bigger need is a refresh of the squad IMHO, with the need for young hungry and ambitious players, who will put their reputations on the line, I think we bought one last year, and well see the best of him next season, he needs older heads around him, but ones that give a shit.
That last paragraph is the most important for me - big signings in key positions and the managerial appointment won't be as significant. I'd expect anyone worth their salt to be able to get us challenging.

Including Pellegrini ?

rickjl said:
This obsession that Begiristain appears to have with regards to bringing Guardiola in as manager is pissing me off. The very idea that we could potentially go into next season with Pellegrini still in situ without having the backing of the hierarchy simply to run the clock down to Guardiola finishing his contract with Bayern is quite frankly absurd.

If the club want Pellegrini to remain as manager next season then back him in full. If as I suspect, they don't want him to remain as manager then sack him at the end of this season and draw up a list of candidates to replace him and if Guardiola is at the top of that list then offer him the job. If he says no then offer it to the next person on the list and move on. Pep Guardiola is not, and never will be bigger than Manchester City but Begiristain would appear to think that he is.

There was a feeling a while ago that Diego Simeone may have been available at the end of this season but we were told that he doesn't fit in with the vision of the football club, he is now no longer available. We know that Jurgen Klopp is available at the end of this season but we are being told that he doesn't fit in with the vision of the football club and he will soon no longer be available. We are turning our noses up at fantastic candidates who have achieved great things at other clubs because of some obsession with bringing in a manager who doesn't seem overjoyed at the prospect of managing City.

Agreed on everything. And you might be able to add Ancelotti to that list.

Imagine, just imagine, we turned down Simeone, Klopp AND Ancelotti and end up with not Pep, but Vieira in charge. We'd all want Vieira to succeed but if you're a gambling man your money is on one of those three getting better results than him. A grueling battle is in the making in the Premier League between Mourinho's rock solid Chelsea, Van Gaal's fast improving and big spending United, Wenger's maturing and resurgent Arsenal and... City. But whose City? Can Vieira, who hasn't even mastered how to set up a team at youth level, compete with these managers (let's not forget Liverpool who have shown menace under Rodgers but imagine they landed Klopp) and improve us in Europe? Of course the man you really want to go against Mourinho, Van Gaal and Wenger is Guardiola. But if that's not possible then we must go for someone like Ancelotti. And if Guardiola is happening but on hold, I'd back (despite earlier reluctance) Rafa Benitez to keep the ship steady for 1 year because he at least has experience and a good cup record.

Mister Appointment said:
Pablo1 said:
cleavers said:

Including Pellegrini ?
I'd be disappointed we'd let Klopp slip through our fingers (though I accept he may not want to join) but yes, including Pellegrini. I said weeks ago (might have been this thread or the other one that's gone) that the players are as much responsible for the serious downturn this year as the manager.
Obviously since then we've managed to get worse so my patience with MP as worn thin, given the right tools in the summer though and I don't see any reason we can't win the league again next year.

I suspect Mansour and Khaldoon maybe getting as pissed off waiting for Guardiola as we all are. And if you were them, of the following who'd you want?

Ancelotti
Klopp
Benitez
Sabella
Vieira

A guy who has managed Milan, Madrid, PSG and Chelsea. It sort of says it all really. Apart from anything else he's had to put up with Berlusconi, Perez and Roman. So working for our caring holistic club might be a nice change for him.

I can't help but think employing Vieira as your number 1 would be a desperate attempt at Pep mk II.

He's simply not ready for the challenge that awaits you next season, and this summer in terms of the transfer market and the overhaul you require.

robbieh said:
I suspect Mansour and Khaldoon maybe getting as pissed off waiting for Guardiola as we all are. And if you were them, of the following who'd you want?

Ancelotti
Klopp
Benitez
Sabella
Vieira

A guy who has managed Milan, Madrid, PSG and Chelsea. It sort of says it all really. Apart from anything else he's had to put up with Berlusconi, Perez and Roman. So working for our caring holistic club might be a nice change for him.
I'd have Ancelotti over anyone.

He's the most likely to deliver instant success with the least friction.

There's some crazy stuff written about him in this thread, I don't know if it's because he previously managed Chelsea, but he seems to be seriously underrated.

Realistically he's a lot more successful than Klopp and more experienced than Pep (and arguably no less successful).

I don't know if other clubs/leagues rate Ancelotti more but I'm pretty surprised by the lukewarm reaction to him as an option.

Imo if you want Vieira over Ancelotti then you're at very least incredibly optimistic. Just hope Txiki isn't in that category!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.