Disillusioned with Football £££

If the rags would have bought Mbappe for that kind of money the BBC would have run a piece showing the gurning Frenchman in a rag shirt as the camera pans around fake glitter effects and Barbara Striesand knocking a tune out in the background.

Now of course with wages being smashed out of the park it leaves the red tops out of the picture, which is good stuff indeed.

I'm as leftwing as they come, but I often find the romanticism about football a bit misplaced. It's been a commercially orientated entertainment industry since the 1890s, and as such wants to extract your money from using the market logics of the day. Market logics of today are the middle-east will chuck money at you ie silicon valley, Disney, WWE, F1, boxing, golf etc etc You couldn't be luckier if you live in Greater Manchester as there's teams at every level of the pyramid that you can go and watch if you'd prefer a cheaper ticket, a community orientated club or even want a pint with the players afterwards. I personally quite enjoy the indulgences of elite football, and I'm willing to pay elite prices for it, but it's certainly not for everyone.

I get what the OP is saying and feel the same in many ways.

However, I've learnt not to let what you cannot control affect your day to day life and to enjoy my little bubble of a life as much as I possibly can in the time I'm alive in these strange circumstances.

There does seem to be far too much money being spunked on vanity projects all over the world and it does make you wonder whether it'd be better spent on making the lives of human beings all over the world a little bit better.

Aiming any anger at footballers though is a bit harsh. They're top level athletes and excel in a game that your average Joe just cannot comprehend. It's the same with top level singers or actors, all of which are in high demand by the vast majority of the general public. If they weren't getting paid then it'd be some fat cat pulling the strings behind the scenes getting whatever money Mbappe, Mariah Carey or Tom Cruise might generate.

At least with footballers there's a chance for a lad from very humble beginnings to touch down on fortune. (Foden, Kompany, Pep etc etc)

This capatilist orgy is here to stay for a little while yet so it's probably best to pay it no mind and just enjoy whatever it is that you get any joy from, as much as you possibly can.

Just the way of the world. Some will always find their skills bring them a higher income than others, be they sports/film stars, business leaders, bankers, lawyers, royalty etc. Whether or not that is a good thing is really more for the politics forum.

That footballers earn huge amounts doesn't bother me too much. I would guess they pay huge amounts in tax which could/should go back into the system.

Football in general has been dead to me for years cuz of the money. I gave up my season ticket after tevez lifted the fa cup cuz I could see it changing. However I was back the following year after missing the aguero moment! If it wasn't for the journey were on I wouldn't bother with football. Even at times that doesn't feel enough to keep me there. But where else in the world isn't contaminated by money now. Gotta bury your head in the sand for the few things you really love in life and city is one of them for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.