Disproving Christianity?

Damocles said:
I completely disagree with the above, and think that you need to reread the Gospels, especially that of Matthew.

Even if you aren't doing this and are going off historical Jesus, you still need to reread Dickson, Funk and Barnett.

You're interpretation of events of Jesus is misleading (I can't be more specific right now, as it's a flying visit, I'll get to it next time I come around, sorry!). If you are reporting from an emotional opinion, then it's fair enough, but if you are trying to be scientific about it, then you are wrong.

Yea, being more specific would be helpful ;) I'll look forward to it.

I dont really see the point of going too deep into the whole religious 'is there a God thing' tbh.

I dont have the knowledge to debate it like some of you do granted .

The thing is, we will all find out one day. If there is a god and an afterlife etc, then we will know. If there isn't, then we wont be around to know it will we. It really doesnt matter either way.

I believe in God as an all-consuming, all loving god and I also believe in an afterlife, you go where you will be happiest be that heaven or hell and live in a spiritual body that resembles in a lot of counts the one the physical shell surrounding our soul here on earth.

I believe Jesus was the Son of Man and was born to a virgin.

I dont need to prove it, because if I could prove it then it wouldnt be faith. If I am wrong, well I wont be around to tell you so lol!!

Why does anything have to be proven or disproven. All will become clear after our death.

Why get so het up about it??!!

Ally.P said:
I dont really see the point of going too deep into the whole religious 'is there a God thing' tbh.

The thing is, we will all find out one day. If there is a god and an afterlife etc, then we will know. If there isn't, then we wont be around to know it will we. It really doesnt matter either way.

I believe in God as an all-consuming, all loving god and I also believe in an afterlife, you go where you will be happiest be that heaven or hell and live in a spiritual body that resembles in a lot of counts the one the physical shell surrounding our soul here on earth.

I dont need to prove it, because if I could prove it then it wouldnt be faith. If I am wrong, well I wont be around to tell you so lol!!

Why does anything have to be proven or disproven. All will become clear after our death.

There's no point in discussing it with you because you've forfeited reason. You've created your own religion in your head, based on nothing at all, and mixed it in with an existing religion. You say that it is your view that God exists and yet you freely admit that this view is not based on anything. You're just believing something because you feel like it. You like the idea of something so therefore it is true. With respect, it is childish. I wish I could come up with a word that didn't seem so insulting.. but I'm afraid I can't :(

ElanJo said:
Ally.P said:

There's no point in discussing it with you because you've forfeited reason. You've created your own religion in your head, based on nothing at all, and mixed it in with an existing religion. You say that it is your view that God exists and yet you freely admit that this view is not based on anything. You're just believing something because you feel like it. You like the idea of something so therefore it is true. With respect, it is childish. I wish I could come up with a word that didn't seem so insulting.. but I'm afraid I can't :(

Thats ok, I dont mind. Each to their own and all.

Interested what you mean by this though.

ElanJo said:
mackenzie said:
Elanjo

Serious question. What do you make of the teachings/preachings of Jesus.

If he existed and all the preachings attributed to him are what he actually said I think he had some good things to say, I particularly like his teachings of what it is to be a hypocrite and "casting the first stone", pretty elementary stuff but good nonetheless. His version of the "Golden rule" (treat others as you'd wish to be treated) is a decent base for morality but it is flawed. Other things such as "love thy enemies" I find to be morally bankrupt. His religious preachings paint him as a maniac tho. He brought into effect the idea of Hell as eternal punishment which, imo, destroys all his work on morality (it's an immoral teaching and doing good things out of fear is not really morality - and, btw, neither is it moral to do something just because an authority says that it is good (in this case - God) ).

On Jesus himself I think it's probable that he existed and that he was a philosopher who gained a number of followers and became well known for that era. He may have used the Old Testament to help his philosophy gain traction in what was a very religious area but since his death and up until the Bible was put together things were falsely attributed to (and about) him to help fashion a religion around him. This is me being kind to Jesus because if something like this wasn't the case, and he did preach that he was God etc., then he was at best delusional, at worst a naughty boy! ;) ... ( a lying maniac)

I think it pretty conclusive that Jesus existed.

Why do you find the quote "love thy enemies" to be morally bankrupt? I would say the opposite, that this is an important part of what he preached and something that, if adhered to, would solve a lot of problems.

What you are saying is that someone who was a preacher and caused waves was turned into a political icon. I agree, not forgetting that religion didn't stand on it's own at that time, the two were intertwined.

I have never had a problem with the teachings of Jesus, I think his ideas illuminating. Yet let's not forget what you refer to......people distort things to suit their own agenda.

It's the people since that I have a problem with.

bluemanc said:
slicky202 said:
if you go with the creator theory doesnt that mean everyone on earth is related? lol

sorry
In Bolton yes!,could someone knock up some sort of cartoon that would explain the "Christianity is a myth"theory a bit better,cheers.

wayne-mark-rooney.jpg

Conclusive proof that we evolved from chimps and the creationist theory is rubbish. God wouldn't create that.

Ally.P said:

i find blind faith astonishing and it only applies to religion. if i was to say something crazy would you blindly have faith and believe me?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.