Dissolve the British Monarchy: Yes or No?

der-bomber said:
...And the reason there are so many tree-lined Boulevards in Paris is that the German Army likes to march in the shade....

In WW2 more French died fighting for the Germans than against them.

stony said:
der-bomber said:
...And the reason there are so many tree-lined Boulevards in Paris is that the German Army likes to march in the shade....

Thats staggering, never knew that...

Although, l once picked up a bargain on Ebay.....a genuine French WW2 Rifle......good as new, never been fired, been dropped a few times though....

stony said:
der-bomber said:

Not wishing to defend all things Gallic,but I really don't think thats the case mate.
Very few Vichy or Petain-ist French took up arms on the German side,and civilian and resistance casualties were huge.
Where did you see that written?

Squelch said:
maxflicity said:
No.

I guess I am a traditionalist, but I hate all these presidential types.

Gordy B is a tosser but our way of doing things is best by miles

You can vote a president out of office - we haven't got that option with the freeloaders, the Windsors.

There is a good economic argument that says they generate revenue above and beyond that which it costs to keep them its just the monye goes into the pockets of the cockneys for all the japanese and yank tourists in london.

Definitely a lot of chips on shoulders. The Monarchy of today brings in more money to the country than they cost. The vast majority of them have a bloody job ffs! Harry & William are both training to be in the military where they will be treated according to their rank & not their background. I like the fact that we have a Monarchy & long may it continue.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
stony said:
der-bomber said:

Not wishing to defend all things Gallic,but I really don't think thats the case mate.
Very few Vichy or Petain-ist French took up arms on the German side,and civilian and resistance casualties were huge.
Where did you see that written?

Jeremy Clarkson said it so it must be true.

I did find an interesting website but I can't vouch for any figures and although the statement about the French is more than likely wrong, more than 19000 Frenchmen died defending the Nazis

The Dutch lost almost as many men fighting for the Germans than against them.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.worldwar-2.net/casualties/world-war-2-casualties-index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.worldwar-2.net/casualties/wo ... -index.htm</a>

If we were to ask the monarchy to step down and one can only assume it's for financial reasons then it would only be fair that first the following measures are taken.

The welfare state is reformed. Long term unemployed have a year to find a job OR a 38 hour week doing voluntary community work. Or nothing.

The NHS is returned to it's original values and ceases to be the IHS.

The prison service is reformed radically.

Legal aid is radically reformed if not scrapped.

The banks bail themselves out.

MP's reform their expenses.

The euro gravy train of £40 000000 A DAY is derailled.

Immigration policy ....well let's start by having a policy.

That lot should save a fortune.

Cheesy said:
Definitely a lot of chips on shoulders. The Monarchy of today brings in more money to the country than they cost. The vast majority of them have a bloody job ffs! Harry & William are both training to be in the military where they will be treated according to their rank & not their background. I like the fact that we have a Monarchy & long may it continue.

What fucking planet are you on!!!!
Have jobs my arse. Running round the world playing at soldiers.
All those medals Prince Charles has & he's never been near a combat zone.
The Royal Yacht is maintained & paid for by the Royal Navy, the Royal flight by the RAF & all their fuckin horses by the Army!
She doesn't pay tax & cant even be bothered to insure her fucking castle!!
Get rid. Soon as.

jimbo101 said:
Cheesy said:

The Royal Yacht is maintained & paid for by the Royal Navy, the Royal flight by the RAF & all their fuckin horses by the Army!
Get rid. Soon as.

There hasn't been a Royal yatch for 12 years, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant. I'll let Cheesy deal with the rest of your post.

jimbo101 said:
Cheesy said:

Get rid. Soon as.

I'll dissect some of your post point by point...

Whilst Charles was in the military we did not have any major conflicts. Pretty difficult to go to war when there isn't one to go to.

The Royal Yacht is no longer in active service. Also, please bear this in mind ref your comment about the cost...
Indeed the Overseas Trade Board estimates that £3 billion has been made for the Exchequer as a result of commercial days on Britannia between 1991 and 1995.

The 'Royal Flight' does not exist as such any longer. It is now 32 Squadron & is only used for VIP duties when not required on military duties. Indeed, the MOD has stated...
the principal purpose of 32 Squadron [is] to provide communications and logistical support to military operations; the Squadron's capacity should be based on military needs only; and any royal or other non-military use of... spare capacity is secondary to its military purpose.

Harry has served in the Gulf. This despite the fact that he could have easily avoided doing so due to his Royal status.

William has chosen to undertake a full time military career. This despite the fact that he could have avoided, etc, etc

Now... what fucking planet are you on?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.