Ditching Sky

Cancelled sky tv completely yesterday. Bill will go down from £108 to £20 for line and fibre internet.

I've got kodi which is great for box sets but so hit and miss for sports so I need to look at alternatives. The zGemma box sounds interesting so will look into it. Are sports streams reliable though?

How do these zGemma boxes work then? Do you have to pay a yearly subscription, or is it a one off payment, and it`s done for life?

Any suppliers or box recommendations? or do they all pretty much do the same thing?

Cheers

How do these zGemma boxes work then? Do you have to pay a yearly subscription, or is it a one off payment, and it`s done for life?

Any suppliers or box recommendations? or do they all pretty much do the same thing?

Cheers
Worth noting that Zgemma is an entirely different entity to Kodi - the Zgemma uses the same connections to your sky dish - so you can watch all the free to air channels just as you would with freesat. Your dish is also picking up sky/Bt broadcasts however your freesat freesat box can't remove the encryption of those channels. This is where your 'gift' (look for sky gift) on eBay comes in. It's basically a subscription to a server that will remove the encryption on the pay channels. Expect to pay £30 for a 12 month sub but you can buy on a month by month basis.

Worth noting that Zgemma is an entirely different entity to Kodi - the Zgemma uses the same connections to your sky dish - so you can watch all the free to air channels just as you would with freesat. Your dish is also picking up sky/Bt broadcasts however your freesat freesat box can't remove the encryption of those channels. This is where your 'gift' (look for sky gift) on eBay comes in. It's basically a subscription to a server that will remove the encryption on the pay channels. Expect to pay £30 for a 12 month sub but you can buy on a month by month basis.

Excellent, makes a bit more sense now.

Cheers PLT

Just out of interest, do you recommend any supplier?

Excellent, makes a bit more sense now.

Cheers PLT

Just out of interest, do you recommend any supplier?

I started on a forum called techkings - there are pages on there on gift suppliers - most will let you have a trial one for 24/48 hours - just make sure you can use the same gift/line if you sign up rather than being issued with a new one.

Also techkings have some excellent posts on how to set up the Zgemma -the one I have uses whoosh build and is brilliant. Be aware there are a number of Zgemma models - I bought mine from Zgemma.co.uk and is the h2.s model - they do one for cable too which I think is h2.h - both are twin tuner meaning they do the same as a a sky plus box(record to hard drive).

One other nice feature of the Zgemma - once setup you can download an app called Vu+ that allows you to watch TV on your iPad using the Zgemma - so even if someone is watching something on the TV, you can watch another channel on tablets or phones using the scone tuner in the Zgemma. Very clever.

My gift has so far been perfect and I'll happily send you the contact details of the supplier.

I started on a forum called techkings - there are pages on there on gift suppliers - most will let you have a trial one for 24/48 hours - just make sure you can use the same gift/line if you sign up rather than being issued with a new one.

Also techkings have some excellent posts on how to set up the Zgemma -the one I have uses whoosh build and is brilliant. Be aware there are a number of Zgemma models - I bought mine from Zgemma.co.uk and is the h2.s model - they do one for cable too which I think is h2.h - both are twin tuner meaning they do the same as a a sky plus box(record to hard drive).

One other nice feature of the Zgemma - once setup you can download an app called Vu+ that allows you to watch TV on your iPad using the Zgemma - so even if someone is watching something on the TV, you can watch another channel on tablets or phones using the scone tuner in the Zgemma. Very clever.

My gift has so far been perfect and I'll happily send you the contact details of the supplier.

Really appreciate that, thank you.

Can I ask what the picture quality is like? HD/SD or like a stream, hit and miss?

Phoned up to get my dad a new deal he currently pays £65 without the movies they offered it me for £55, I pointed out he'd had sky since 1989 and that new customers can get everything for £30 a month for 12 months. They just couldn't do anything I pointed out about kodi and I think they know this is causing lots to cancel.
I'm going to cancel it and probably get the new customer deal at my house then take the box to his, he's getting on a bit and trying to get him using kodi is a pain I've tried, sky does everything he wants in one box unfortunately he's so used to it. I cancelled years ago and never looked back I rarely watch live tv anyway and with catchup and kodi I've saved a fortune.
You never get the best deals from the inbound call team. You have to cancel and then the outbound team will contact you with better deals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.