Divided opinions on comedy

Joycee Banercheck said:
masterwig said:
I think I have a very British sense of humour. Never got into any American sit-coms.

I love the much derided 'Not Going Out' though which in many ways has an American feel to it. The cheap gags in that crack me up. In fact Lee Mack is one of my favourite comedians at the moment.

I can't understand for the life of me how Jo Brand is still on television. Has she ever said anything funny? Must be the worst around. Generally speaking I don't find female comics particularly funny, I don't know if that is because they aim their jokes for women or what. Victoria Wood is a very clever woman though.
I loved 'Not Going Out'. Fantastically written, but I suppose most of it is Mack's stand up, which I really rate. Same as Tim Vine. Quick-firing one liners with word play have always been factors of comedy that make me laugh.

Not keen on Chubby Brown. Don't find vulgar humour funny and a pretty cheap way to get a laugh. Jo Brand? She just annoys me with the way she says 'errrrrrrr' after every unfunny sentence. Victoria Wood has my respect too.
A great deal is ad-libbed. The script is mostly a basis of what the episode is about

In terms of sitcoms, Blackadder is my undoubted favourite just for the 'Blackadder goes forth' series. Then you have other fantastic classics like Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Alan Partridge. The more recent ones that I love are sitcoms such as Still Game, Peep Show, the inbetweeners, Phoenix Nights and the office.

Ricky Gervais is one that divides lots of opinion, but I think he is a brilliant writer as is the much underrated Steve Merchant. In my opinion the office was a superb comedy, but I know loads of people who don't like it at all. Although not as good as the office, extras was also a very good comedy. Then you realise how naturally funny Ricky and Steve are by listening to the podcasts/audiobooks/old xfm shows with the round headed fool Karl Pilkington.

One other comedian that I like is Ross Noble. He's another that divides a lot of opinion, but anyone who has been to his live shows will know how good he is. Its a ritual for me to go to his shows every year, been doing this for the last 5 or 6 years. You can go to any of his shows during the tour, and each one will be completely different.

I never watch mock the week, I just don't find it funny. Little Britain is shite, as is Gavin and Stacey.

At the moment I'm really into Charlie Brooker the guy seems to be so on the money, Newswipe/Screenwipe/Gameswipe all really good and I fookin love Nathan Barley that he co wrote with Chris Morris.

I've just downloaded all of the The Thick of It and I think Malcolm Tucker is my new hero.

As far as stand ups go, I think Frankie Boyle and Sean Lock (15 Storeys High by Sean Lock is an amazingly underrated sitcom aswel actually) are probably my two favourite in this country at the moment and a fella called Doug Stanhope from the States is quality.

Bluehood said:
At the moment I'm really into Charlie Brooker the guy seems to be so on the money, Newswipe/Screenwipe/Gameswipe all really good and I fookin love Nathan Barley that he co wrote with Chris Morris.

I've just downloaded all of the The Thick of It and I think Malcolm Tucker is my new hero.

As far as stand ups go, I think Frankie Boyle and Sean Lock (15 Storeys High by Sean Lock is an amazingly underrated sitcom aswel actually) are probably my two favourite in this country at the moment and a fella called Doug Stanhope from the States is quality.

I agree with what you said about Charlie Brooker. The one where Charlie described Susan Boyle looking like a haunted tree, and calling Piers Morgan something like a shit slug faced ballbag made me laugh the most

Good point about 15 storeys high. I watched a few of those episodes years ago, it was very good. I might get the DVD to watch it again. The cream of pork pie soup sounds good :P

mcfc_ms said:
Bluehood said:

I agree with what you said about Charlie Brooker. The one where Charlie described Susan Boyle looking like a haunted tree, and calling Piers Morgan something like a shit slug faced ballbag made me laugh the most

Good point about 15 storeys high. I watched a few of those episodes years ago, it was very good. I might get the DVD to watch it again. The cream of pork pie soup sounds good :P

Haha yeah tht was piss funny, I think one of my favourite description he gave was on 'You Have Been Watching' when he said Dog the Bounty Hunter looked like Sir Alan Sugar disguised as a gay lion. :)

dave allen was great also. sat there with his whisky and cigarettes ripping the catholic church. nice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.