Do Aliens actually exist ?

Not if you are moving at high speed.

My interpretation of its is time is a constant in terms of its the same everywhere. But it is changeable by speed and gravity.

so if a race of aliens formed on a planet near a black hole, to us further away from the black hole there time will seem faster than ours. And to them ours will seem slower. But to each other “our local” observational times are the same.... if we moved to that planet we would not observe that time was moving slower.

I struggle when it comes to light speed and relatively tho. We are in a solar system, rotating around a star, that star is in a galaxy spinning around the center of that galaxy, The galaxy is also moving away from center of universe. So all in all we are moving rather bloody quickly through the universe. so if we shine light in the direction we are traveling surely that light is then moving faster than light speed by virtue of already moving fast when it’s shon. But no. It doesn’t. Because it’s relative to where it started.

how does that translate to observing that light from elsewhere...

the alien question. For me I think there is zero chance there isn’t any Alien life out there. The universe is so vast the odds of us being the only intelligent life must to minuscule.

Last edited:
>> The universe is not infinite.
Excellent. You are smarter than numerous PhD cosmologists on this very topic - I await your scientific publication proving that the universe is not infinite!

>> The conditions that need to prevail for life to develop as it has on earth are so astronomically improbable that I believe we are certainly alone in our galaxy, if not the universe.
The conditions for life to develop are in fact very rare - but not astronomically improbable - I rather think that life exists now or in recent past - within our own solar system - rather more likely than not.

Whereas the conditions for intelligent life, capable of travel through space - are rather much, much, much more demanding. In our galaxy - I think so - in the universe - possibly infinite - and even if not - I think that intelligent life capable of space faring in our universe - approaches near certitude.
You really need to learn how to quote bud to make your replies easier to read.

Isn't time considered consistent across the universe?
It absolutely is not. It (almost certainly) obeys the same physics, but time is deeply intertwined with Relativity and there is now universal "now" experienced by everyone everywhere. Moreover the "flow" of time as we perceive it, is something we really don't understand very well because Einstein showed that the past, present and future all "exist" even if we can only feel the present and remember the past.

These are difficult concepts because they go against the understandings built into our brains after 2 million years of human evolution.

I struggle when it comes to light speed and relatively tho. We are in a solar system, rotating around a star, that star is in a galaxy spinning around the center of that galaxy, The galaxy is also moving away from center of universe. So all in all we are moving rather bloody quickly through the universe. so if we shine light in the direction we are traveling surely that light is then moving faster than light speed by virtue of already moving fast when it’s shon. But no. It doesn’t.
It all stems from Maxwell's equations which describe the propagation of electromagnetic radiation. The equations determine the speed of light c (in vacuum) and it follows logically given than no frame of reference is needed, that this will be constant now matter how it observed or measured. Once this is accepted (and has been demonstrated) then actually Special Relativity becomes a rather obvious outcome which it is perhaps surprising no-one other than Einstein considered. Very simple "thought experiments" show you very clearly how time must slow for moving objects. There's no other way to explain how light appears to travel at the same speed even If you are moving.

I might add that Einstein's theories on General Relativity however were far less obvious and Intuitive and really mark him out as one of the two greatest geniuses the world has ever known.. the other being Newton.

Last edited:
Scientists estimate a total of 2.5 billion T-Rexes once roamed the earth.

2.5 billion.

Nowt to do with Aliens, but seriously. You wanna go exploring other planets? All that way, no coming back.

After hundreds of years in stasis, you find a planet with life.

Off you pop. Got your linguistics, maths, all your scientific stuff ready to go, ready to communicate with the aliens - whatever they are.

Open the door and ....it's T-Rexes everywhere, as far as the eye can see.

Nah mate I'm good make another brew stick Star Trek on.
To be honest that wouldn’t scare me too much.....it’s the Alien Covenant style species that fuck me up. Imagine getting fucked over by one of those things so it can deposit it’s spawn in your chest cavity and use you as it’s first meal....er no thanks, I’m fine on this little green ball.

I don't like this question because beyond solar system exploration it can not be proven or tested. Only testable hypotheses are worthwhile.

Better to concentrate on understanding how life developed here on Earth. I think the starting point is water. NASA's Asrobiology program features the mantra 'Follow the water' for wherever you find liquid water on Earth you find life.

My research at the moment considers the impact of protective osmolytes such as TMAO on biological molecules such as peptides in water. You can not hope to answer questions about aliens unless you understand the basis of life at the molecular level. We do not undertand the behaviour of even one of the simplest compounds in the universe which is water. In fact liquids are not simple. They are incredibly complex. Crystals are uniform repeating structures whereas liquids change all the time, and to understand their behaviour you have to understand enthalpy and entropy.

I am studying the behaviour of water molecules in association with co-solutes like urea and TMAO (which occur in animals) to study their effect on water.

I use NMR spectroscopy to measure the changes in the hydrogen bonding network as I change the concentration of solutes, and I can also measure diffusion coefficents and rotational relaxation. Through this and complementary techniques we can better understand the interaction of molecules at the molecular level. What controls the shape of proteins in solution? I think that it is by addressing problems like this that you chip away at problems like how common is life. Complex chemistry forms readily in the presence of water. Ribose sugar forms in the ISM but we don't understand how you go from relatively simple biomolecules like this to the complexity of life.

It's always a question of learning what we know now, then finding a research question and taking tiny steps.

Although it is simple to say the universe is huge and therefore there are an infinite number of possibilities where do you go beyond that? You need to be specific. solar system samples? Some people study organic chemistry in meteorites. One of the most interesting samples I know of is the Hag meteorite. Liquid droplets containing organic molecules trapped inside halite crystals that formed on another world,and we even think we know which world. Ceres is the best bet. What was the state of the early solar system, the pre-existing state of pre-biotic chemistry at the very start of life? We know that. What is the connection between organic chemistry and chemistry of protoplanetary disks? is it destroyed? These are good questions, and things to study.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.