Do Aliens actually exist ?

I don't like this question because beyond solar system exploration it can not be proven or tested. Only testable hypotheses are worthwhile.

Better to concentrate on understanding how life developed here on Earth. I think the starting point is water. NASA's Asrobiology program features the mantra 'Follow the water' for wherever you find liquid water on Earth you find life.

My research at the moment considers the impact of protective osmolytes such as TMAO on biological molecules such as peptides in water. You can not hope to answer questions about aliens unless you understand the basis of life at the molecular level. We do not undertand the behaviour of even one of the simplest compounds in the universe which is water. In fact liquids are not simple. They are incredibly complex. Crystals are uniform repeating structures whereas liquids change all the time, and to understand their behaviour you have to understand enthalpy and entropy.

I am studying the behaviour of water molecules in association with co-solutes like urea and TMAO (which occur in animals) to study their effect on water.

I use NMR spectroscopy to measure the changes in the hydrogen bonding network as I change the concentration of solutes, and I can also measure diffusion coefficents and rotational relaxation. Through this and complementary techniques we can better understand the interaction of molecules at the molecular level. What controls the shape of proteins in solution? I think that it is by addressing problems like this that you chip away at problems like how common is life. Complex chemistry forms readily in the presence of water. Ribose sugar forms in the ISM but we don't understand how you go from relatively simple biomolecules like this to the complexity of life.

It's always a question of learning what we know now, then finding a research question and taking tiny steps.

Although it is simple to say the universe is huge and therefore there are an infinite number of possibilities where do you go beyond that? You need to be specific. solar system samples? Some people study organic chemistry in meteorites. One of the most interesting samples I know of is the Hag meteorite. Liquid droplets containing organic molecules trapped inside halite crystals that formed on another world,and we even think we know which world. Ceres is the best bet. What was the state of the early solar system, the pre-existing state of pre-biotic chemistry at the very start of life? We know that. What is the connection between organic chemistry and chemistry of protoplanetary disks? is it destroyed? These are good questions, and things to study.
Very interesting post. Although of course there are many things you could discover outside our solar system which would indicate alien intelligence, such as signals containing ascending prime numbers for example.

Very interesting post. Although of course there are many things you could discover outside our solar system which would indicate alien intelligence, such as signals containing ascending prime numbers for example.
Starting with the closest known habitable worlds, or stars likely to be able to host such worlds. That sounds like it would be worth doing. I bet SETI has already done that or is doing it.

Good point. There is no best angle. Better take to take many and be alert for the things you may find.

Has anyone watched the Phenomenon? Has generally favourable reviews and quite compelling.
The 'spaceship with aliens' landing at that school in South Africa was interesting as are the discussions from 'high ranking military official' (or ex....).

With the new sightings (tic tac videos etc) over the past 15 years, it all keeps the industry alive.
That Jeremy Corbell guy must be making a career out of this.

There's a reference to the 'famous' UFO picture taken in the 50's. It looks like a spaceship designed in the 1950's.
The latest sightings mentioned above got a reply the other day from an ex MOD guy suggesting they are drones (and if you look out neat the vastest drone tech is, you could understand how advanced the 'secret stuff' is).

One of my best mate's a high ranking RAF officer and has mentioned we don't know half the stuff being worked on in the background.

All good fantasy stuff this...good to dream beyond our horizons but perhaps best not to get overly in to it and leave it to the likes of SETI (and Jodrell Bank is playing a big part in this now).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/strange-ufo-sightings-probed-hypersonic-23916707

I don't like this question because beyond solar system exploration it can not be proven or tested. Only testable hypotheses are worthwhile.

Better to concentrate on understanding how life developed here on Earth. I think the starting point is water. NASA's Asrobiology program features the mantra 'Follow the water' for wherever you find liquid water on Earth you find life.

My research at the moment considers the impact of protective osmolytes such as TMAO on biological molecules such as peptides in water. You can not hope to answer questions about aliens unless you understand the basis of life at the molecular level. We do not undertand the behaviour of even one of the simplest compounds in the universe which is water. In fact liquids are not simple. They are incredibly complex. Crystals are uniform repeating structures whereas liquids change all the time, and to understand their behaviour you have to understand enthalpy and entropy.

I am studying the behaviour of water molecules in association with co-solutes like urea and TMAO (which occur in animals) to study their effect on water.

I use NMR spectroscopy to measure the changes in the hydrogen bonding network as I change the concentration of solutes, and I can also measure diffusion coefficents and rotational relaxation. Through this and complementary techniques we can better understand the interaction of molecules at the molecular level. What controls the shape of proteins in solution? I think that it is by addressing problems like this that you chip away at problems like how common is life. Complex chemistry forms readily in the presence of water. Ribose sugar forms in the ISM but we don't understand how you go from relatively simple biomolecules like this to the complexity of life.

It's always a question of learning what we know now, then finding a research question and taking tiny steps.

Although it is simple to say the universe is huge and therefore there are an infinite number of possibilities where do you go beyond that? You need to be specific. solar system samples? Some people study organic chemistry in meteorites. One of the most interesting samples I know of is the Hag meteorite. Liquid droplets containing organic molecules trapped inside halite crystals that formed on another world,and we even think we know which world. Ceres is the best bet. What was the state of the early solar system, the pre-existing state of pre-biotic chemistry at the very start of life? We know that. What is the connection between organic chemistry and chemistry of protoplanetary disks? is it destroyed? These are good questions, and things to study.

Fucking hell, with a melon full of that kind of info, no wonder you overthink tactics and team selection ;)

Russell Brand’s take on the recent’leaked pentagon’ vids.

I’m with him for a while as I grew up fascinated by sci fi, UFO’s and alien civilisations from books to the films

Probably why this is the last of the so called conspiracy theories that may have a ring of plausibility about it for me...that creative kids mind at play.

But with that all said I’m relatively confident all these sightings are earth bound tech (and look at those 1950’s UFO’s that look like....1950’s UFO’s).

But after the qanonce shit spouted over the last year all the fun of speculation has been soured. Best to steer clear.

Brand seems like a bright lad so I can only presume he’s riffing on this for his audience...a ‘neutral/believer’ a la Joe Rogan in the US.

Article in the New Yorker about the recent interest in 'UFO's':

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...A5rqQERrsZYwAXdZEcONJ5XitdWFSagm2LdZX2aOIe-Pc

But what I found really interesting, was the mention of a debunking website which is incredible.
I think they've (including the main guy who runs this) has done some really interesting work in unravelling all the recent stories and 'phenomenon's in the media.

I'm not sure there's much comeback from this guy's detective work. Still as mentioned above, let's leave this to the likes of SETI and just watch sci-fii films as entertainment whilst we navigate through the mundanity, horror and utter beautiful joy of our own planet.

https://www.metabunk.org/home/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.