Do you believe the Universe is infinite?

abu13 said:
The human mind is not truly capable of comprehending this concept, everything we know has a beginning and an end, i am more at ease with the idea of scale, for all we know the entire universe as we know it may be a droplet in an ocean of something even grander. Following the same concept as the final scenes of Men in black.
That somehow makes my pub quiz win the other night lose some of its sheen.

Relatively speaking, of course.

marco said:
i think the universe is like an expanding bubble and it will eventually expand to its limit then start to deflate and at the final point of deflation there will be a chemical reaction to start it all over again, we are one of trillions of universes just suspended there like bubbles in a pint pot, we are positioned in the habitable zone between the sun and other planets but that's only habitable to us and not other species so i think there are many planets out there occupied by some form of life, out of all the known planets it would be interesting to see whats under the ice of Europa as there are active thermal vents, just a shame its not in my lifetime

I don't get why and how the sun and moon placements are so important to living life on earth its so unbelievable that all 3 just happened like that. a greater thing other than man is the power in the Universe and we will never understand it and many have spent there whole life looking for it and the answer is really man is land locked to earth

earth is man and outside of our great planet nothing really matters its not going to be man that finds the answers it will find us

ancoats said:
marco said:
i think the universe is like an expanding bubble and it will eventually expand to its limit then start to deflate and at the final point of deflation there will be a chemical reaction to start it all over again, we are one of trillions of universes just suspended there like bubbles in a pint pot, we are positioned in the habitable zone between the sun and other planets but that's only habitable to us and not other species so i think there are many planets out there occupied by some form of life, out of all the known planets it would be interesting to see whats under the ice of Europa as there are active thermal vents, just a shame its not in my lifetime

I don't get why and how the sun and moon placements are so important to living life on earth its so unbelievable that all 3 just happened like that. a greater thing other than man is the power in the Universe and we will never understand it and many have spent there whole life looking for it and the answer is really man is land locked to earth

earth is man and outside of our great planet nothing really matters its not going to be man that finds the answers it will find us
Seriously well said, mate. Beautiful reading :-)

ancoats said:
marco said:

remember whats nice to us is not habitable to other species, air,water and our gravity could all be toxic so either the world was made for us or we were made for the world, it has to be one or the other

Universally speaking i think it probably does.

No i wish it wasn't because I hate the idea of infinity/eternity, i find it quite frightening. Just the simple thing of there never being 'a highest number' makes me slightly uneasy.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
ancoats said:
marco said:

Seriously well said, mate. Beautiful reading :-)

You might like this..

[video]https://youtu.be/jJt3CTGuFVs[/video]

coincidence, you tell me

All this talk of 'other Universes' annoys me because the Universe by definition is everything there is & ever was. You can talk about our 'observable Universe' which is what we can see from our most powerful telescopes but what is beyond that? You can't call it another Universe, it's just part of our Universe that we can not observe yet.

Someone brought up the point of how incredible it was that the sun, moon etc have created conditions perfect for us - this is not that incredible as we are simply a product of those conditions. Think of the Earth as a living organism & we are simply part of that - a cancer on the surface if you like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.