Do you believe the Universe is infinite?

TangerineSteve17 said:
hilts said:
Okay I got the earth and sun thing until someone changed it and said it is moving further away, if the universe is expanding like blowing up a balloon, what's outside the baloon?

Nothing! :)

No such thing as nothing though

hilts said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
hilts said:
Okay I got the earth and sun thing until someone changed it and said it is moving further away, if the universe is expanding like blowing up a balloon, what's outside the baloon?

Not known by man can mean nothing. Like there was nothing before the big bang (that we can know of) there is nothing behind the curtain on expanding space.

TangerineSteve17 said:
hilts said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

Not known by man can mean nothing. Like there was nothing before the big bang (that we can know of) there is nothing behind the curtain on expanding space.

It's always seemed a catch 22 to me, if at one point there was absolute nothing, this would have to be infinite by definition, even getting your head round that is hard enough, but if it was the case then the Big Bang could not have happened as an event, but something happened to create the universe, a reaction cannot happen without something being there in the first place

hilts said:
TangerineSteve17 said:
hilts said:

It's always seemed a catch 22 to me, if at one point there was absolute nothing, this would have to be infinite by definition, even getting your head round that is hard enough, but if it was the case then the Big Bang could not have happened as an event, but something happened to create the universe, a reaction cannot happen without something being there in the first place

Well as far as i'm aware that is unanswerable. It is where infinity comes in. You might get answers like Damo has said previously.. Time began at the singularity (the big bang) so the question what came before has no meaning)

That just the way it is at the moment. Yo had Krauss trying to prove something comes from nothing, but all he said was atoms pop in and out of existence.

I guess we need more time, or infinite time.. :)

TangerineSteve17 said:
hilts said:
TangerineSteve17 said:

Well as far as i'm aware that is unanswerable. It is where infinity comes in. You might get answers like Damo has said previously.. Time began at the singularity (the big bang) so the question what came before has no meaning)

That just the way it is at the moment. Yo had Krauss trying to prove something comes from nothing, but all he said was atoms pop in and out of existence.

I guess we need more time, or infinite time.. :)

That's the problem in a physical world with cause and effect there is no theory that makes sense, every discovery or theory creates another question, pellegrini picking dzeko would be easier to solve

No.

Because I've got no idea if it is or not, and no way of finding out.

Scientists get paid to theorise and pontificate about the universe, and they don't know either.

I don't believe it is finite either, for the same reasons.

Most amazing fact I've heard is this.
If you were in one of the most distant galaxies we know of at this moment, you would be able to see the light from the explosion that killed the dinosaurs.

But, there is really no way to ever know if the Universe is infinite or not. Even if we thought we saw the end of the Universe, it could just appear that way because the light from those galaxies have not had enough time to travel to us yet.

You'll_all_hate_me_cuz_merica said:
Most amazing fact I've heard is this.
If you were in one of the most distant galaxies we know of at this moment, you would be able to see the light from the explosion that killed the dinosaurs.

But, there is really no way to ever know if the Universe is infinite or not. Even if we thought we saw the end of the Universe, it could just appear that way because the light from those galaxies have not had enough time to travel to us yet.
Interesting points

It's infinite in my mind. It winds me up but it is rational.

I fucking hate it but there is no highest number, no lowest decimal.. Its not even numbers.. There is no biggest imagination, no thing without space between. Humans are only so smart and i would bet there is nothing you can't add something to..Spheres and infinity seem right naturally to us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.