Do you need glasses and if so at what age did you start wearing them?

I was the kid at junior schoo' with nhs jam-jar bins and an eye patch, the smell of which has stayed with me ever since.
The only time i took my specs off was to play footy. When i got into my teens i'd go out with no specs and just used 'the force' to see things.
These days my specs are on all the time, unless i'm in bed. With my prescription i could be classed as blind so getting new glasses on the high street costs a fortune. Small independent opticians can do them much cheaper if you get a full eye test (free ones are on offer all the time)

If i could change one thing about my body it would be my eyes.

Been wearing them since I was a kid. Got cataracts and astigmatism in both eyes.

Went for an eye test a year ago and got told I needed Varifocals. Presumed this was the optician trying to scam more money out of me, so went and got a second opinion...and the 2nd optician told me I needed varifocals too.

That was a sharp shock to the system, to remind me im not getting any younger. I got varifocals with reactalite lenses and they cost a fortune but I'm so glad I don't need to faff around switching between normal glasses and sunglasses anymore.

So, if you do need glasses, I would highly recommend getting reactalite lenses.
I don’t like the way reactalite lenses don’t go dark enough. Then they don’t work for driving either, even the ones they say do. As for Varifocals, I’m weaning myself off them after about 15 years, they’re only bearable if you go for the top grade lenses. I’ve noticed recently that watching TV with them isn’t as good as using single vision lenses.

IMO if your going with varifocals you have to go with the top end or they are useless. I spend allot on my glasses as i think its money well spent but many disagree . The price of my latest pair is pretty eyewatering but with glasses i wont compromise. I stared wearing glasses in my late fortys and have them on all day everyday

Last edited:
47 for me too, prob should have had my eyes checked a couple of years earlier.

Optometrist said it happens after 45

Gone for varifocals and they have been alright, anything has to be better that putting things into my eyes

Had reading glasses for nearly ten yrs or maybe a bit less , cant remember now , got then online . I was about to have lasar surgery but on the day the surgeon said he didnt think it would make that much difference so didnt have it . My optition said i had a lucky escape because it would have really fucked my vision up

My long vision is perfect , i can see a leaf from 100 ft

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.