Do you support the RMT?

14.25% no strings over 3 years offered to drivers.

They'll take that. Along with back pay it might make the driver shortage more acute as some will put into retire on the back of the rise. A third of drivers at my depot have openly said once it's done they are handing their cards in.

I'm not expecting that much for other grades. Possibly 9% for 2 years.

RMT are meeting next Tuesday with DFT to broker a deal.

The unions are now running the country. That much is clear and obvious.

It’s back to the future ladies and gentlemen. Straight back to the 1970s with the same outcome.

Mega payday’s dished out to the comrades, while pensioners will be freezing to death this winter…

Yeah - much better left to the private sector - the railways have been a success story over the last 2 years and private equity is the way forward - look at ASDA

Without the politics and union arguments, how much does a train driver actually make? I’ve read wildly different numbers.

Say a driver who’s been at it for 5 years and drives a bog standard northern rail type commuter train.

Obvs the main line high speed train drivers get paid more (I’d assume)

Yeah - much better left to the private sector - the railways have been a success story over the last 2 years and private equity is the way forward - look at ASDA

There's more to the Asda story than meets the eye, take each case isolation. I'm yet to see any Union leader(s) who could run such a business so for them to say 'get your act together' is a bit rich IMO

Reactions: PPT
Without the politics and union arguments, how much does a train driver actually make? I’ve read wildly different numbers.

Say a driver who’s been at it for 5 years and drives a bog standard northern rail type commuter train.

Obvs the main line high speed train drivers get paid more (I’d assume)

£60k is the average today, will be £69k if they accept this. It doesn’t feel an excessive wage in all honesty, probably on the low side.

£60k is the average today, will be £69k if they accept this. It doesn’t feel an excessive wage in all honesty, probably on the low side.
Northern Rail is £54,500 when fully qualified - takes 3 years to get to that salary.
Will be £62K ish after this pay rise.

Northern Rail is £54,500 when fully qualified - takes 3 years to get to that salary.
Will be £62K ish after this pay rise.

That’s the issue with averages mate. Undoubtedly includes those in that there London which always skews results. It does feel like it should be a mid £70k profession.

Totally off topic but I went to a Hurricane day at Duxford the other week and those that designed our WW2 aircraft were drawn from the rail industry as they were the place to find the very best designers and engineers on offer. Never knew that but found it fascinating.

I understand that for a role that requires a lot of technical training and involves being in control of people’s lives every day, it’s maybe a modest salary.

But it is double the average UK wage.

Not saying they don’t deserve the pay rise but my personal sympathy is probably more with people working their arses off in lower paid jobs.

Reactions: PPT

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.