Do you support the RMT?

I understand that for a role that requires a lot of technical training and involves being in control of people’s lives every day, it’s maybe a modest salary.

But it is double the average UK wage.

Not saying they don’t deserve the pay rise but my personal sympathy is probably more with people working their arses off in lower paid jobs.

It then becomes a race to the bottom mate. If we compare everyone’s salary to the averages then they know they just have to keep paying the lowest quartile the square root of fuck all to not pay the nurses, teachers, fire etc etc a decent wage for the work they do.

When I first started working the average salary could afford the mortgage on an average house. Now you’ve got to be in the top 10%. Our welfare bill is through the roof because tax payers subsidise shit wages which gives companies a free hand to pay them buttons. Its not sustainable, pay does need to rise, especially at the lower end.

Without the politics and union arguments, how much does a train driver actually make? I’ve read wildly different numbers.

Say a driver who’s been at it for 5 years and drives a bog standard northern rail type commuter train.

Obvs the main line high speed train drivers get paid more (I’d assume)

53k in the company I work for. That's after 2 years "apprenticeship" rate of 26k.

Which is another loophole the government should shut as tocs gets 6 grand per employee from the government for each staff member on the "apprenticeship".

I understand that for a role that requires a lot of technical training and involves being in control of people’s lives every day, it’s maybe a modest salary.

But it is double the average UK wage.

Not saying they don’t deserve the pay rise but my personal sympathy is probably more with people working their arses off in lower paid jobs.
Driving a high tonnage train with hundreds of passengers at speeds of over 100 mph. Whilst having to retain route knowledge to know exactly where you are at anytime in case of emergency. Along with basic mechanical training for fixing trains on the go.

They are worth every penny.

If more industries had strong unions we might all be living comfortably.

I am not a railwayman, so I feel the people concerned should sort matters out without my ‘help’. So, in the words of Tim Walz, I mind my own damn business. Tbf, I know nothing about these disputes and my opinion is thus worthless.

The RMT has confirmed it will enter pay talks next week with the Department for Transport, which will negotiate on behalf of the train operating companies. It will also have talks with Network Rail.

Under the terms of a deal brokered last November, RMT members, such as train guards, were offered a backdated 5% rise for 2022/23, the same as that offered to Aslef members under their three-year deal.

The RMT deal said a 2023/24 pay offer would depend on formal negotiations with individual train companies on working conditions.

It is understood the agreement included a commitment to negotiate reforms at a local level for an expected 4% rise this year.

That amount would be below the 4.75% offered to Aslef drivers for that year as part of the deal to settle their dispute. Drivers have also been offered 4.5% for this year, which would take the average driver salary to around £68,000.

Mr Lynch told the Times: "All the indications are that we will be offered the same terms as Aslef. And we are expecting that it will be delivered."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.