Do you support the RMT?

Driverless cars are with us, robotics are about to be a thing of wonder and AI will be used with most things in life(before it kills us)

And someone on Bluemoon asks if a computer can see a cow. Hahahaha.

Never change you mad deluded bastards:-)

TBF I recently saw a video of a TESLA ploughing through a stationary car on the road that was sideways on. It didn’t see it. So would a train always see a car across the line?

They’ll need to be more fail safes than just can a train see something - I think today if a train goes through a red light the train will autonomously brake. You’d need staff in “train traffic control” to monitor line crossings etc. Then I wonder if someone jumps in front of a train would anyone notice? This leads me to think we need some sort of driver presence. That doesn’t necessarily mean physically in the cab but I’m sure you could have a “driver” monitor 4 trains simultaneously on a computer screen in “train traffic control” centre.

Tech is magic and AI is incredible but a human has AI … actual intelligence.

TBF I recently saw a video of a TESLA ploughing through a stationary car on the road that was sideways on. It didn’t see it. So would a train always see a car across the line?

They’ll need to be more fail safes than just can a train see something - I think today if a train goes through a red light the train will autonomously brake. You’d need staff in “train traffic control” to monitor line crossings etc. Then I wonder if someone jumps in front of a train would anyone notice? This leads me to think we need some sort of driver presence. That doesn’t necessarily mean physically in the cab but I’m sure you could have a “driver” monitor 4 trains simultaneously on a computer screen in “train traffic control” centre.

Tech is magic and AI is incredible but a human has AI … actual intelligence.

I agree I think a lot of stuff needs ironing out, for instance I cannot see how artics could ever be driverless especially when they talk about two following each other. But I woukd imagine a train on a fixed track would be the easiest form.

Anyhow the point still stands

In 2024 can a computer see a cow, I would imagine so yes:-)

Last edited:
Driverless cars are with us, robotics are about to be a thing of wonder and AI will be used with most things in life(before it kills us)

And someone on Bluemoon asks if a computer can see a cow. Hahahaha.

Never change you mad deluded bastards:-)
Knock yourself out. Techie article below.

Drones to detect a cow round a bend? Differentiate between a track worker at the side of the track and one on the track?

Even if technically feasible, the vulnerability of automatic systems (to failure or malicious action) is an issue. See the failure of air traffic controls. Also components would be fail-safe, potentially stranding trains.

Here's a chattier version of some of the issues.

Knock yourself out. Techie article below.

Drones to detect a cow round a bend? Differentiate between a track worker at the side of the track and one on the track?

Even if technically feasible, the vulnerability of automatic systems (to failure or malicious action) is an issue. See the failure of air traffic controls. Also components would be fail-safe, potentially stranding trains.

Here's a chattier version of some of the issues.

Can a computer see a cow? That was it, I'm glad you're taking it so seriously though,:-)

I agree I think a lot of stuff needs ironing out, for instance I cannot see how arctics could ever be driverless especially when they talk about two following each other. But I woukd imagine a train on a fixed track would be the easiest form.

Anyhow the point still stands

In 2024 can a computer see a cow, I would imagine so yes:-)

Yes a computer can see a cow. My previous car had night vision and would highlight pedestrians on my display. Made running them over much easier.

Last edited:
Can a computer see a cow? That was it, I'm glad you're taking it so seriously though,:-)
Having seen the entrails of a cow on the front of a train at Longsight shed, it was what came to mind. If I recall aright, an excursion train for City playing at Hull may have hit a cow en route, circa 1969...

If they were predestinations it was inevitable.

Bloody technology. Can see a cow but can’t spell the right words !!!!

Slightly off topic but I used to be pretty good at navigating by way from anywhere by using my initiative - it’s sort of that way type of thing and I’d find it with little difficulty. Since sat nav the mind just goes blank when I try and think where places are. As tech gets better our brains get lazier.

Reactions: Vic
Bloody technology. Can see a cow but can’t spell the right words !!!!

Slightly off topic but I used to be pretty good at navigating by way from anywhere by using my initiative - it’s sort of that way type of thing and I’d find it with little difficulty. Since sat nav the mind just goes blank when I try and think where places are. As tech gets better our brains get lazier.
So true. I spent ages trying to use Google Maps to avoid a closure of the M56 at Altrincham before I realised I (or it) had accidentally changed my destination to some narrow lane near Dunham and the Mway wasn't closed.

My brother in law's funeral at Derby was delayed waiting for someone from Yorkshire who was late. It went ahead once they said they were near Peterborough, having entered PE rather than DE.

I still use OS maps for remote areas.

And somewhere off the A49 near Bridgnorth is a sign to a pedestrian ferry over the Severn with a sign underneath: "SATNAV ERROR"

So true. I spent ages trying to use Google Maps to avoid a closure of the M56 at Altrincham before I realised I (or it) had accidentally changed my destination to some narrow lane near Dunham and the Mway wasn't closed.

My brother in law's funeral at Derby was delayed waiting for someone from Yorkshire who was late. It went ahead once they said they were near Peterborough, having entered PE rather than DE.

I still use OS maps for remote areas.

And somewhere off the A49 near Bridgnorth is a sign to a pedestrian ferry over the Severn with a sign underneath: "SATNAV ERROR"

This tech is fucking with a primal instincts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.