Do you think we should support the top 6 plan to receive a higher share of PL income?

for what it's worth, i think the league is what it is due to speed of play, an image of competitiveness for the title, a clutch of 'top' teams (instead of 2, for e.g.) and a level of unpredictability. I don't think the Premier League is particularly lauded for it's outstanding quality or technical ability (in general, over 25 years).

Therefore you can argue that it is in the Premier League's interest to maintain a level financial playing field regarding the resources it controls, as opposed to a truly meritocratic one, to allow these qualities to flourish. After all, you need the smaller teams to be able to upset the title race, the smaller teams to duke it out with each other with decent players afforded to them by top prize money, and even the odd smaller team to go on and somehow win the bloody thing.... the league's overall marketability is, arguably, it's competitiveness.

Now, unfortunately we're not in a position to be able to tell whether TV deals in the Prem would be higher or lower now, collectively or individually, compared to if we had gone down a individual bargaining route, how La Liga used to be up until 2017, b'cos we've no comparison. We cannot currently tell if strength in league depth is what sells or the top teams blasting their way into the top 6 every year.

And here in lies the thing; do you deserve money just for taking part? aren't you part of the whole process by competing? Surely the top teams with the top players shift the subscriptions here and abroad dont they? Perhaps the top teams wouldn't be what they are without the strength of the league though. And hey, they need 14 or 15 other teams to batter every other week so the fans can enjoy it.

i do believe some meritocracy should remain in the prize money though, but i think it's ok as it is. My personal preference would be for domestic TV deal to have a portion equal share (say 50%), a portion for league position (33%, as current) and some other distributor for the remaining money, for example some sort of entertainment coefficient for the games you played on TV. The foreign TV deal could perhaps be more tailored towards how many games you play on TV, with an 'entertainment' payment, an equal share and a much smaller league prize money portion. I would advocate around 1.33:1 for 1st to last, maybe 1.4:1.

but, with the amount of money sloshing around in the league, this means a relegated team could walk away with well over £100m, maybe £150m. This is, i agree, tough to accept but i dont think it breeds laziness or contempt. Also, if you finish in the Champions League places you then get the added benefit of CL money, further exacerbating the financial disparity. This is surely the main reason for striving to be up there at the top, the extra 50, 60, £70m.

I think u missed my point. If they went and formed a super league. Wba regardless of what they did would miss out. Likewise if they negotiated their own overseas rights they'd be behind too. It's not gonna be fair. Never said it would, but it could be a lot worse, hence the vote to minimise the gap. take the top 6 out the premier league would die on its arse. Allow the top supported clubs to negotiate their own rights and the prem will again die on its arse. So do they, the league, allow this, or do they take a pinch now, and protect their product?

If you want fair and equal, then you need a max spend on transfers and wages and this went years ago, even before the premier league. Also if you think overseas people are watching wba against the big teams because they're wba, then you're very much mistaken.
. Sorry pal I ain't mistaken. I lived in Spain for nigh on 14 yrs and the Spanish would sit with me and they know who WBA and the rest of the teams.

. Sorry pal I ain't mistaken. I lived in Spain for nigh on 14 yrs and the Spanish would sit with me and they know who WBA and the rest of the teams.
I never said that they didnt. What I said was most people tune In to watch the bigger teams. Do u think that WBA fan base across the world is on par with the rags. FDA we been the most consistent team over the last 10 years and we not on their level. There are are threads on here asking when will we surpass them. So again, I believe u missed my point which is any other outcome would have have dire affect on the league.

Is it fair? No. Has it been fair for years? Again no and will not ever be. It is however what it is.

Just for the record, did u support city when we were shit? Did you complain about how unfair it was for the clubs in the CL getting more money? Did you still go to games? Nothings changed except we are now on the rich end of the scale. Maybe some other club has taken our place or maybe the top 3 became a top 4 then top six using this method

Christ, you obviously struggle with linear arguments.

You said that most countries only award prize money for first and second. I checked and couldn’t find any that did. The majority used the PL model of merit payments for placings from top to bottom. So you made it up.
Don't about linear arguments but you can't f@cking read because I never mentioned anything about other countries prize money.

I never said that they didnt. What I said was most people tune In to watch the bigger teams. Do u think that WBA fan base across the world is on par with the rags. FDA we been the most consistent team over the last 10 years and we not on their level. There are are threads on here asking when will we surpass them. So again, I believe u missed my point which is any other outcome would have have dire affect on the league.

Is it fair? No. Has it been fair for years? Again no and will not ever be. It is however what it is.

Just for the record, did u support city when we were shit? Did you complain about how unfair it was for the clubs in the CL getting more money? Did you still go to games? Nothings changed except we are now on the rich end of the scale. Maybe some other club has taken our place or maybe the top 3 became a top 4 then top six using this method
. I have never supported City when then were shit . In my eyes we have never been shit. Even when that shower of shite won everything we were better and celebrated more like when we won against Gillingham. In my eyes supporting City when my heroes were Tueart, Tolmie, Melrose etc were fucking fantastic. No I have never fucking moaned and I also say to other fans outside the sky top 6 made up bollocks that every team should have an Aguero moment. As fans we probably cannot stop the way footballs going but I will never become like that shower of shite set of fans have become.

Don't about linear arguments but you can't f@cking read because I never mentioned anything about other countries prize money.
Ok so let’s forget football and now assume you were talking about other sports.

Which sports and competitions did you mean?

Not golf, everyone gets cash for attending and then more the higher up you finish.

Not tennis where the same applies.

Not snooker where it’s the same.

Not F1 where Ferrari get the most for being popular but everyone else gets momore cash the better placed you finish.

So which specific sport or competitions were you talking about?

A
. I have never supported City when then were shit . In my eyes we have never been shit. Even when that shower of shite won everything we were better and celebrated more like when we won against Gillingham. In my eyes supporting City when my heroes were Tueart, Tolmie, Melrose etc were fucking fantastic. No I have never fucking moaned and I also say to other fans outside the sky top 6 made up bollocks that every team should have an Aguero moment. As fans we probably cannot stop the way footballs going but I will never become like that shower of shite set of fans have become.
At least we can both agree not to become like the rags. Me I dont care either way. As long as we're all blue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.