Does it matter if a player comes from our academy into the first team more than if we buy a player

Lol if at first you don't succeed eh OP
Hi Karen, yes lol I thought I would take the debate elsewhere. You probably guessed im a big Foden fan i would love to see him become a regular starter alongside KDB. Personally it means more to me to see him become a world class player in our team than us buying a player. But its a strange one because it shouldn't really make a difference as the fella on the train said. But I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts? Cheers

Of course it is ideal but if they aren’t good enough I’d rather play quality than shoehorn a youngster in for the sake of it.

I think it's a bit of a modern myth due to the rags academy players from the 90s. But in reality it's probably very rare or only the odd player.

The reality is that the best players will end up at the best clubs if it happens through the academy route then it's a bonus

It seems to matter more to fans of other clubs looking in than it does to me.
It’s used as a negative spin on the club and I take no notice anymore.
Our team now plays at such a high level it is not realistic to expect any academy player to be at the necessary level not to diminish the overall team. The fact foden is close is brilliant, but its pretty miraculous.
If our academy generates solid talented footballers that we develop, sell for a profit and fund the club I’m more than happy.

It seems to matter more to fans of other clubs looking in than it does to me.
It’s used as a negative spin on the club and I take no notice anymore.
Our team now plays at such a high level it is not realistic to expect any academy player to be at the necessary level not to diminish the overall team. The fact foden is close is brilliant, but its pretty miraculous.
If our academy generates solid talented footballers that we develop, sell for a profit and fund the club I’m more than happy.

Can't argue with any of that.

The Academy got a shit-load of hype, which fuels speculation/expectation by us fans. Talk of a "football factory" and the like. Initially the success of the youngsters lived up to the publicity, but the trend to play predominantly under-age lads against bigger opponents has taken the gloss off, but conversely the preparation for men's football is sped up. From the parents of kid's pov, our set-up is the gold-standard, from education to pastoral care, in fact the whole package is superb, even so there is an element of luck involved. Some fans put great store by "local talent", some of us are more "meh" tbh. Financially, the club would benefit more by bringing on an Asian/Chinese lad than one from Stockport, but thankfully are above such tawdry marketing.

The chances of an academy product making it are remote, you’ve as much chance of walking on the moon as playing in our 1st team
That said we are and will produce high quality talent that does move on, but all those that move on will have buy back clauses and we may well see that happen in the future, I would love to see Foden as a regular which I do feel given time he will be, but for it to happen it can’t be at the detriment of the team and at the minute when everyone is fit that is the case

The chances of an academy product making it are remote, you’ve as much chance of walking on the moon as playing in our 1st team
That said we are and will produce high quality talent that does move on, but all those that move on will have buy back clauses and we may well see that happen in the future, I would love to see Foden as a regular which I do feel given time he will be, but for it to happen it can’t be at the detriment of the team and at the minute when everyone is fit that is the case
The chances of an academy product might be remote in terms of playering for this current city team, but they have a very good chance of making a living as a professional footballer. This is the key to the success of the academy not this often talked about ‘pathway to the first team’.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.