Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may happen by osmosis anyway. The passage of time could easily signal a change in popular opinion in Gibraltar itself. The way they voted on Brexit, the most important domestic decision for a generation, was totally at odds with the way the voting went in England and Wales. Can't see that differential on such a key issue not having a profound effect on each region's popular thinking and opinion making, long term. They'll simply grow apart from us, imo.
You wouldn't think that if you'd ever been there. Gibraltar is the most British place I've ever been. Their British identity is a lot stronger than here.

You wouldn't think that if you'd ever been there. Gibraltar is the most British place I've ever been. Their British identity is a lot stronger than here.
I'm well aware of that, but public opinion could change, if other things became more important than being British. I think Brexit is going to be felt far and wide across the world for a generation. Some good, some bad. The world will keep turning.

I'm well aware of that, but public opinion could change, if other things became more important than being British. I think Brexit is going to be felt far and wide across the world for a generation. Some good, some bad. The world will keep turning.
The Gibraltarians will accept being Spanish about as easily as the jocks would accept becoming English.

The Gibraltarians will accept being Spanish about as easily as the jocks would accept becoming English.
Eastern Europe shifted from a communist to a capitalist mindset in a few short years. Public opinion can be fundamentally changed if enough pressure is applied. I think Brexit could provide that pressure.

Edit: I should add, there's no way the British government will be able to throw any serious money at a dispute. Not the way public opinion is right now about public services.

I thought we had to negotiate with the EU as a whole rather than with individual member countries, but I might be wrong on that point.

Well yes. However the car companies and any other employing EU related business can transfer without this restriction.
Is our reassurance to Nissan about exports to EU countries when we leave legal ?

Can Spain start a process of removing its food trade products away from UK before the exact day ?
Can the Commercial Banks do the same ?

Eastern Europe shifted from a communist to a capitalist mindset in a few short years. Public opinion can be fundamentally changed if enough pressure is applied. I think Brexit could provide that pressure.
Identity is different to ideology. Using Eastern Europe as an example, the fall of the Soviet Union enabled the individual republics that had been forcibly subsumed into the USSR to revert to their original identities. People can change their political views but for them to change their national identity it nearly always requires a war and conquest.

It may happen by osmosis anyway. The passage of time could easily signal a change in popular opinion in Gibraltar itself. The way they voted on Brexit, the most important domestic decision for a generation, was totally at odds with the way the voting went in England and Wales. Can't see that differential on such a key issue not having a profound effect on each region's popular thinking and opinion making, long term. They'll simply grow apart from us, imo.

Go and voice that opinion in Gibraltar - but wear a gums shield and a box mate. Gibraltar is one of the most patriotic British places on earth and there would be hell on if we even suggested the Spanish could have it. Not to mention how the UK betting industry would suffer.

Go and voice that opinion in Gibraltar - but wear a gums shield and a box mate. Gibraltar is one of the most patriotic British places on earth and there would be hell on if we even suggested the Spanish could have it. Not to mention how the UK betting industry would suffer.
I think Brexit will make a difference. I could be wrong; of course I could, but I just have a feeling that the effects of Brexit are going to be felt far and wide. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing btw.

Is there any truth in the rumour that Trump is having an Executive Order drafted to change the name of Washington to Trumpton?
51E9HCDM7XL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.