Donald Trump

If he gets more than 40% I'm mugging America off and putting a gun in my mouth..
I see wipeout
Oh and Melanie's a **** for refusing to tweet to stop the insurrection

Last edited:
No. Mathematics is singular. It describes a thing—a field of study—not many things. The S on the end doesn't indicate plurality.

Mathematics is a mass noun and usually takes a singular verb. You don't say mathematics 'are' my favorite subject.. You say "mathematics IS my favorite subject."
So when you shorten the noun, it's redundant to add the 's'.

That said, it's a preference thing. Americans and Canadians have the common sense to not add the 's' at the end since the whole point is to abbreviate... The English on the other hand do add it.. But it's just a preference. It's neither logical nor more correct.
What’s the study of the economy called when you’re at college or university? Or what about politics, linguistics, ethics, tactics, aesthetics etc.

And you may say not all of them have a shorter version but you’re into football yeah? How would you say the shortened version of statistics?

Stats
Physics
OAPs

Literally anything that is genuinely a plural will add an -s to the shortened form. Even heard someone shorten Timberlands to Timbs once (as in the shoes). Obviously we call all agree that person was a wanker.

The question is whether mathematics is a plural in the first place, and like most linguistics, it's full of people trying to 'logically' prove that their preferred way of saying something is 'correct' when there's no such thing as correct, just common.

Having said that, I'm not going to take any lectures from Americans on the use of plurals, when they can't even decide within a single sentence whether something is a singular or plural. "Man City is playing much better than they were in the first half." Fuck off.
My Ashton Grammar English teacher (old Miss Greenwood) is rolling over in her grave, but my U.S. Uni Creative Writing teacher is impressed by both your example and salutation.

And you may say not all of them have a shorter version but you’re into football yeah? How would you say the shortened version of statistics?
One statistic
Two statistics

Statistics shortened to stats because it’s a plural.

Now, tell me again about Mathematics…

One mathematic??
Two mathematics??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.