Donald Trump

its Maths, short for Mathematics, Math would be short for Mathematic. which isn't a thing.
No. Mathematics is singular. It describes a thing—a field of study—not many things. The S on the end doesn't indicate plurality.

Mathematics is a mass noun and usually takes a singular verb. You don't say mathematics 'are' my favorite subject.. You say "mathematics IS my favorite subject."
So when you shorten the noun, it's redundant to add the 's'.

That said, it's a preference thing. Americans and Canadians have the common sense to not add the 's' at the end since the whole point is to abbreviate... The English on the other hand do add it.. But it's just a preference. It's neither logical nor more correct.

No. Mathematics is singular. It describes a thing—a field of study—not many things. The S on the end doesn't indicate plurality.

Mathematics is a mass noun and usually takes a singular verb. You don't say mathematics 'are' my favorite subject.. You say "mathematics IS my favorite subject."
So when you shorten the noun, it's redundant to add the 's'.

That said, it's a preference thing. Americans and Canadians have the common sense to not add the 's' at the end since the whole point is to abbreviate... The English on the other hand do add it.. But it's just a preference. It's neither logical nor more correct.
We don't say "do economic" at Uni last I heard. ))

Ok after the convention speech.. my thoughts..

Kam's smart that she's making this election basically a referendum about Trump and his policies, not about her being the first woman president.

And there's enough negativity about Trump that as long as she doesn't piss people off majorly and comes across as the rational alternative.. she might just pull it off.

In the very least on her weaknesses.. she covered her 6 with the she'll sign the bipartisan border bill that Trump torpedoed.

its Maths, short for Mathematics, Math would be short for Mathematic. which isn't a thing.
Do you have an example of another contraction where we shorten the word, but then steal a letter from elsewhere in the word…or are you saying it’s a plural, and as such, it requires the “s” be added to the contraction to ensure it remains a plural?

If so, perplexity disagrees…

Understanding the Word "Mathematics"

The word **mathematics** is often a source of confusion regarding its grammatical number.

Here’s a breakdown:

Singular vs. Plural

- **Singular Usage**: In standard English, "mathematics" is treated as a singular noun. For example, you would say, "Mathematics is my favorite subject."

- **Plural Form**: The term "mathematics" is derived from the Greek word "mathematika," which is plural in form. However, in modern usage, it is accepted as singular in context.

Common Misconceptions

- **Mathematics vs. Mathematicians**: While "mathematics" refers to the field of study, "mathematicians" (the people who work in this field) is plural.

Conclusion

In summary, while "mathematics" has a plural form etymologically, it is used as a singular noun in contemporary English. So, when speaking or writing about it, remember to treat it as singular!

-/-/-/-

Hope that help

;-)

Do you have an example of another contraction where we shorten the word, but then steal a letter from elsewhere in the word…or are you saying it’s a plural, and as such, it requires the “s” be added to the contraction to ensure it remains a plural?
Stats
Physics
OAPs

Literally anything that is genuinely a plural will add an -s to the shortened form. Even heard someone shorten Timberlands to Timbs once (as in the shoes). Obviously we call all agree that person was a wanker.

The question is whether mathematics is a plural in the first place, and like most linguistics, it's full of people trying to 'logically' prove that their preferred way of saying something is 'correct' when there's no such thing as correct, just common.

Having said that, I'm not going to take any lectures from Americans on the use of plurals, when they can't even decide within a single sentence whether something is a singular or plural. "Man City is playing much better than they were in the first half." Fuck off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.