Donald Trump

The patients are taking over the asylum. He will be loving this, its all about putting fear into people about what will happen if he isnt voted back in. What a ridiculous situation they have allowed to have happen there, clowns. If he had been impeached like he should have been this would all be just white noise.
This guy seems to be just a nut. Not even a Trump nut, just mad about Peter Thiel and Crypto currency and the Trump/Hillary being actors in a massive plot. I think anyway, I only skim read nutjob manifesto's.

This guy seems to be just a nut. Not even a Trump nut, just mad about Peter Thiel and Crypto currency and the Trump/Hillary being actors in a massive plot. I think anyway, I only skim read nutjob manifesto's.
I read all of it out of a morbid curiosity and you've fairly accurately summarised it, apart from the random section explaining how The Simpsons is carefully designed propaganda intended to brainwash the American masses.

I read all of it out of a morbid curiosity and you've fairly accurately summarised it, apart from the random section explaining how The Simpsons is carefully designed propaganda intended to brainwash the American masses.

I also read it all. I agree with you that this is the ramblings of somebody suffering from paranoid delusion. And it is a deep shame because aside from these notions of conspiracy he comes across as bright and actually quite an engaging writer.

It is interesting in that it's the first example of "enlightened centrism" I've seen that takes things to this extreme. Usually the "they're all as bad as each other" tactic is used to sound moderate. Here he uses it as proof that we live in a global kleptocracy, the parties are on the same side, and we're about to be plunged into fascism. An esoteric take, I'll give him that.

The crypto/Bitcoin stuff is a bit stupid though and belies a lack of understanding of how it works. I'm generalising to Bitcoin in what I say here because it makes up more than half of the entire crypto market, with Ethereum making up another 20% or so. The way it was designed and set up means that the information on who owns which coins is public domain and the algorithm and everything to do with it is completely open source. It is a decentralised ledger with records that the entire network of computers have to agree on, so you know who is holding what at all times (when I say "who" you have to know the corresponding wallet address to identify individuals). This means you can just add up the Bitcoin that's out there to calculate its market cap. You'll find it's at about USD 1.3Tr. While that sounds like a lot of money to a layman, it's chump's change really when you consider the GDP of the US is 25x that amount. I work with individual companies who manage assets many multiples of that amount. If they are creating a doomsday fund in cryptocurrency then their fund isn't very big in the grand scheme of things. Maybe a few Bezos worth (to coin a new standard measure).

Needless to say, when you start seeing messages in practically all media that you propose as evidence for the existence of a global conspiracy, you have to commit to the fact that you're saying all of those media creators are somehow in cahoots. Orwell doesn't seem to me like a bloke who would neglect to tell us if he thought 1984 was being played out in real life. Neither do the Simpson's writers, if we're being honest.

My life's mantra comes into play again here - I'll call it "Flux's Razor" - When faced with a variety of possible explanations for the situations we encounter in life, the most prosaic and boring explanation is basically always correct. Life is never as interesting as we would like it to be.

A man apparently set himself on fire in a park just outside the courthouse where the Trump trial proceedings are being held.

No confirmation of who they were, the motives, or their condition as it just happened. It is unclear if it was related to the trial.

What an idiot.

Having seen the footage and a rather grim photo of the aftermath, I wouldn’t recommend self-immolation.

It's obviously not funny as this guy had clear mental problems but fuck me there's some very very crazy people in America.

Whenever we think our politics is going off the rails, a quick glance across the pond and we look like the sanest most stable people on the planet.

I also read it all. I agree with you that this is the ramblings of somebody suffering from paranoid delusion. And it is a deep shame because aside from these notions of conspiracy he comes across as bright and actually quite an engaging writer.

It is interesting in that it's the first example of "enlightened centrism" I've seen that takes things to this extreme. Usually the "they're all as bad as each other" tactic is used to sound moderate. Here he uses it as proof that we live in a global kleptocracy, the parties are on the same side, and we're about to be plunged into fascism. An esoteric take, I'll give him that.

The crypto/Bitcoin stuff is a bit stupid though and belies a lack of understanding of how it works. I'm generalising to Bitcoin in what I say here because it makes up more than half of the entire crypto market, with Ethereum making up another 20% or so. The way it was designed and set up means that the information on who owns which coins is public domain and the algorithm and everything to do with it is completely open source. It is a decentralised ledger with records that the entire network of computers have to agree on, so you know who is holding what at all times (when I say "who" you have to know the corresponding wallet address to identify individuals). This means you can just add up the Bitcoin that's out there to calculate its market cap. You'll find it's at about USD 1.3Tr. While that sounds like a lot of money to a layman, it's chump's change really when you consider the GDP of the US is 25x that amount. I work with individual companies who manage assets many multiples of that amount. If they are creating a doomsday fund in cryptocurrency then their fund isn't very big in the grand scheme of things. Maybe a few Bezos worth (to coin a new standard measure).

Needless to say, when you start seeing messages in practically all media that you propose as evidence for the existence of a global conspiracy, you have to commit to the fact that you're saying all of those media creators are somehow in cahoots. Orwell doesn't seem to me like a bloke who would neglect to tell us if he thought 1984 was being played out in real life. Neither do the Simpson's writers, if we're being honest.

My life's mantra comes into play again here - I'll call it "Flux's Razor" - When faced with a variety of possible explanations for the situations we encounter in life, the most prosaic and boring explanation is basically always correct. Life is never as interesting as we would like it to be.
It is indeed a novel slant on the plague of “enlightened centrism”.

There are quite a few misunderstandings and mischaracterisations in the ‘manifesto’, even beyond the incoherent analysis of cryptocurrency.

As I said in my earlier response after reading it, I think it is very likely he was suffering an acute manic episode (likely one of many over his life) and this was unfortunately a destructive outcome.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.