Door Finishes. Help!

KS55

I have just installed a set of knotty pine internal doors. My problem is that both my hall and landing consist of a narrow corridoor with a well at the end where doors lead to rooms. All the doors are contiguous, no wall between one architrave and the next. Its just a mass of door. The hall and landing are quite gloomy, despite being painted white.
So I want to finish the doors with varnish, without them darkening too much. So far, I have been advised to use yatch clear varnish. A website I consulted recommended water based varnish, i.e. acrylic.
Do any of you brilliant decorators have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.
Edit: am looking for best varnish to achieve lightness.
P.S. Wife has vetoed sky blue paint, even with a maroon stripe.

Last edited:
So what are you asking for?

Tips how to finish and polish your wood?
Or somethingn else?

If so cannot help you ai am afraid, not very skilled at that.

Last edited:
I have just installed a set of knotty pine internal doors. My problem is that both my hall and landing consist of a narrow corridoor with a well at the end where doors lead to rooms. All the doors are contiguous, no wall between one architrave and the next. Its just a mass of door. The hall and landing are quite gloomy, despite being painted white.
So I want to finish the doors with varnish, without them darkening too much. So far, I have been advised to use yatch clear varnish. A website I consulted recommended water based varnish, i.e. acrylic.
Do any of you brilliant decorators have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

For an indoor door any clear varnish will suffice really, oil or water base, but it will darken the wood a little, that's just what happens

Edit: am looking for best varnish to achieve lightness.
Water based satin varnish,coat the door/s wait till dry about half an hour depending on drying conditions,sand doors with a slightly abrasive sanding pad lightly coat again then leave half an hour or so and then coat again three coats in total should suffice..edit oil based will age and darken doors compared to water based which will only darken over a long period of time ..

Water based satin varnish,coat the door/s wait till dry about half an hour depending on drying conditions,sand doors with a slightly abrasive sanding pad lightly coat again then leave half an hour or so and then coat again three coats in total should suffice..edit oil based will age and darken doors compared to water based which will only darken over a long period of time ..
Great, thanks mate.

Great, thanks mate.
Use a decent brush as well,not one of those you get 20 for a quid as there will be brush marks all over the doors,the likes of b&q or Homebase will do decent enough brushes for water based varnishes and stains or if there’s a decorating centre near you pick a brush or two up in there,Johnstone’s,Dulux or crown..

Or you could, if you're a total tit like me, put all the doors on yourself, stand back and give yourself a great big pat on the back for a job well done, only to told by the joiner you should have called in to do the job properly that you've put them all on up upside down.

Twat :)

I'd agree with the water based product, way easier clean up, faster dry time, less fumes, just as resiliant...I tend to use a fine steel wool in between coats but all good

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.