Dortmund Fans

There is indeed a lot to admire about the German game and Dortmund's fans were fantastic last night. I would love to be able to watch city play there but alas, that might have to wait for a few years.

The moral 'high ground' some of them occupy, however is a bit rich. The big clubs with their massive stadiums are always going to be successful so the possibility of any of the 'smaller' clubs breaking through is slim.

The German fans should look up the English phase 'Im all right Jack'.

BVBler said:
M18CTID said:
LoveCity said:
We spent 30 years in the mud before the Sheikh arrived. Do you understand how English football works? It isn't Germany. There were about four rich teams that no one else could compete with regularly. They got into the Champions League every year and finished top four every year, so were getting most of the money while the rest of us fought for Europa League places. The only way to compete with this consistently (ie. not once, Everton and Spurs had one-off seasons, Newcastle had their "almost" season last year that won't be repeated) was through big investment and that is what Sheikh Mansour did. We are still the same club with the same fans and same songs, same culture, same traditions as we were before the takeover. The takeover has just given us moments like our title win and playing in the Champions League. Without a lot of money you simply can't challenge in England.

Exactly. I have a lot of time for the way German clubs are run but English clubs have always
been run in a different way - our German friends need to realise that rich owners have been a part of English football culture for over 100 years, and the biggest clubs in English football - United, Arsenal, and Liverpool have all benefitted from having money pumped into their clubs by rich people at various points in their history.

The only thing that has changed is that the origin of these owners has become more diverse in recent times - instead of being almost exclusively English, people from other countries have been attracted to English clubs. I'll also point out that down the years many English clubs have had financial problems because of bad management/ownership and in the vast majority of cases the people responsible weren't foreign. The idea that the bad owners in English football are all foreigners and the good owners are all English couldn't be any further from the truth.

Do not get me wrong,

I accept that in the England football differently, I know the history of English football very well because I Tottenam, City and Liverpool as the English Cloubs always look at that I like.

But Bayern Munich has erabeitet decades this status, Dortmund made ​​a huge mistake in the 90s, as have won the CL and then were virtually bankrupt, but our fans have taken to the barricades as our club are taken over by a patron should.

We have borrowed money at Bayern Munich, it hurt but because there was the Soladirität the Bundesliga

In Germany, the patron has no time to take the chance of a club and I find that personally quite rightly so.

This is my opinion may be wrong, but for me it is the true football

I'm certainly not saying your opinion is wrong - like I've said there are a lot of good things about the way German clubs are structured, but I think it's important to realise that there are different traditions in different countries which means that there are different ways of running football clubs. As someone said on here the other week, it's not really fair for English and German fans to preach to each other about how clubs should be run in our respective countries.

I say this as someone that has seen City play 3 different German clubs on German soil along with watching 1860 Munich play a Bundesliga 2 game at the Allianz Arena, and will also be travelling to the Dortmund game in December. On every single occasion I've had a great time and enjoyed the difference in atmosphere compared to English football. However, even if we can't match that atmosphere I still enjoy the banter of following City, particularly away from home.

Got chatting to a group of them on the 36 bus on my way back from work last night. Had a brief convo about footy in general, how they enjoyed our stadium, the game in question and welcomed them to Manchester. Wish I hadn't of bothered. They were completely dismissive of me openly saying to my face how they hated City and how the club is ran and that our atmosphere was "shit". Tried to be as welcoming and affable as possible, but they were having none of it. The fans I encountered were just plain and simple horrible repugnant twats.

Mike N said:
There is indeed a lot to admire about the German game and Dortmund's fans were fantastic last night. I would love to be able to watch city play there but alas, that might have to wait for a few years.

The moral 'high ground' some of them occupy, however is a bit rich. The big clubs with their massive stadiums are always going to be successful so the possibility of any of the 'smaller' clubs breaking through is slim.

We have a big stadium (the wall awaits you, and then we want to hear you sing!) But we have no money

Look at that, because you have to but tears come when ye hear in a German stadium. (We are the only one in Germany, the official may sing this song at the stadium :)

Celtic, Tottenham, City .......

and the Reds ...... Liverpool.FC sorry :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp22ziCYqfU&feature=related[/youtube]

Watching the Dortmund fans last night was pure entertainment. The way they all sang in tune, bounced together, waved their scarves in unison.

It reminded me that the Germans always did do a good marching tune... a bit like Cabaret?

And every bit as orchestrated and lacking in spontaneity.

I prefer my football with more passion, humour and off-the-cuff.

You can keep the foreign clubs with their loudspeakers, and drums, and cheerleaders. If I wanted that I'd watch Wrestling.

All the Dortrmund fans were lacking was a step ladder and face-painting...

In theory the Bundesliga is more democratic, but at the end of the day it's usually won by moneybags Bayern Munich, who incidentally weren't even in the Bundesliga when it started.
I've been to Dortmund a few times, but their stadium reminds me of Newcastle with two massive stands giving the ground a slightly disjointed feel.
The atmosphere is brilliant, as was Shalke, Hamburg and Wolfsburg, where I've also seen City play in recent years.
The last time I went, Dortmund ran out to "You'll never walk alone". That will probably annoy more City fans than any attempt at German ridicule or misguided moral high ground lectures.

Soulboy said:
Watching the Dortmund fans last night was pure entertainment. The way they all sang in tune, bounced together, waved their scarves in unison.

It reminded me that the Germans always did do a good marching tune... a bit like Cabaret?

You can keep the foreign clubs with their loudspeakers, and drums, and cheerleaders. If I wanted that I'd watch Wrestling.

Spot on mate.

Soulboy said:

with you on this, its utter organised garbage, ok for novelty value then it becomes tedius & boring, did any of them actually watch the game ?

City 1 Chelsea 1 1971 said:
In theory th
The last time I went, Dortmund ran out to "You'll never walk alone". That will probably annoy more City fans than any attempt at German ridicule or misguided moral high ground lectures.

"You'll never walk alone" is therefore in Dortmund important because we then won the European Cup Winners' Cup against Liverpool, and Liverpool fans were very nice as well as the City fans yesterday.

Then Celtic came to us in the 80s and even though they beat us, we had respect for their fans who sang so beautifully.

This is our respect for the motherland of football that we sing this song.

BVBler said:
Mike N said:

We have a big stadium (the wall awaits you, and then we want to hear you sing!) But we have no money

Look at that, because you have to but tears come when ye hear in a German stadium. (We are the only one in Germany, the official may sing this song at the stadium :)

Celtic, Tottenham, City .......

and the Reds ...... Liverpool.FC sorry :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp22ziCYqfU&feature=related[/youtube]

Biggest crowds in Germany but no money? Ok.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.