Dortmund (H) - CL QF | Post-Match Thread

I think the number of games is catching up with Diaz. No time to rest him at the moment, but rest of the back 4 needs to support him like he's done for the past 6 months.
Not just Dias it's catching up with but the whole team. Energy levels are certainly dipping and who can be surprised?

Well that was a heart in the mouth hour and a half, Dortmund really closed down well, City should be 3 or 4 to the good though, too many missed chances.
Phil was outstanding, I'll forgive him for missing a couple.

I think we can’t play a false 9 away to them as their cbs are very good at passing from the back, I think Jesus has to start next week for the press. Who we leave out is anyone’s guess as I see Gundo, Rodders and Kev starting so that means one of Mahrez (most likely?) Foden or Bernie not starting. As for the game we looked a little of the pace at times, combination of too many games and maybe conserving too much energy. I am not walkers biggest fan but he played well and was useful for his pace. Father Ruben was a little off and should not play against Leeds as he needs to put his feet up. Having said that if Phil had his shooting boots on he should have bagged another and it could have looked a lot more comfortable

We need to stop comparing this competition to the PL. It's a totally different kettle of fish and we must be really positive about having a 2-1 against a tricky side to play against with some very good players. The play was slow at times but we came away very much in command of the tie and an away goal should be enough.

Last edited:
If we manage to score 2 goals at Dortmund, we will go through at 99%, for they will have to score 4. And we can well score 2 goals. Therefore, our tactics won't probably be to try to stop them from scoring, but to try to score more than them.

We are fighting not just with Dortmund now, but with our mentally scarred selves as well. It's easy to say that the players should be brave, but they are only human. Last night showed that it wasn't entirely about tactics against Lyon but also about mentality.

The game at Dortmund will be huge for this team. If we manage to go through, even in an ugly manner, the shackles may finally be off. We will play better against better teams, as we did vs Real last season, they showed last night they are still a quality team.

First time we have come away from a quarter final first leg not losing since PSG in 2016 which is a huge positive. Lots to do next week though, keep it tight, make them come at us. I would give Sterling a start as all that extra space to run into would be right up his street. Maybe even a case for Fernandinho to start next to Rodri.

Some of the over playing at the back was scary at times. Kevin De Bruyne just seems to get better and better.
We definitely need to sure up that central midfield area and build from that mate, we were way too open and Rodri really struggled with their pressing, I'd be very surprised if Fern isn't a starter next week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.