Dubrovnik

Went last summer with Mrs Exeter for 4 days. Rented a room in an apartment on Booking.com. Nice, clean, and owner was very friendly. Will message you the address when I get home if you like. Was about a 15 minute walk from the old town, which is what people go to see, and rightly so cos it's an absolutely beautiful place. Old town is quite expensive and they have cruise ships descend on it on 2 or 3 days during the week. They've started limiting the number of cruise ships that can dock, but I think Thursdays are still very busy, so the old town can be best avoided between 11:00hrs and 16:00hrs.

Home to a lot of Game of Thrones filming, and there are plenty of Game of Thrones tours to be had. A walk round the top of the old City walls takes about an hour and includes GOT's 'House of the Undying'.

We did a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia, where they do the bridge diving. Nice enough, but you'll need a bus with air-con.

Beautiful place

Great place for a holiday. Didn’t stay in Dubrovnik, stayed in Lapad in hotel Kompass and it was spot on. About 8 mins by Taxi or regular bus service into Dubrovnik.

Last edited:
You are on the right track, however may I suggest Zadar. Croatia is fantastic place, I am there right now.

If a nice village close to the city of Zadar appeals and one that involves staying in an apartment belonging to the most incredibly hospitable amazing Croat family who will look after you royally and give you some great laughs and leave you addicted to the fantastic place, drop me a PM.

Here is the view from the apartment....

l9lkj6oJ_VMUw98d-cEzLNzwp1mCKikW_RQC6N9cY4PGjPl2kG2cbkdgbSGtEWUxTQAD_Icj30tJLz99jqoXpdaTmucglUWSnxDb6HOfwWE5Q9QMCmrlGNwD4XdMdxZj7EvkKBfknit227zS9ITy461mrmgo89idENvhFsI2IDjlSxd_2S6LholexeyzBl7nuYJ_pDjnkxsuR6C0urAk9IAkJ79QUbv3usmNwq_Qs3O-tUfhvuIMWNmFg5a2sEgYEuMvl2Oodu6WL811NoZwbEBrXmVvItdjDQrYapel3jdxHlAT1o_MVSuoosdnySkonq220akivLi5xeZsU-elYzRAelPCl8_kFT2OcRP1cu9Pi3IJYb8fOSx1UzH1dsMeQ0fcXfWTSgX3I9ZuPpeeiZaXkhWDL1rOZBe-lxF5GyxgdLZ5gQhsz4qpsfG7l5jIDVsUeD5nC_Uk3iAzhq_EBo2ajL5079ER7f7L0JLKZaN5ysekYx8ABTFOPOWZUWpcyvhwb1cjHlQAFLt3mYsSXuOMzGsG0RGxOxLK6KdrE8LpBaOdG0AbmQnnTlERugjTxC-7MkwvhzBP_sCyHWOSHn2V_MatDh7CviUsfQTqFI0vfyNaIKuAkhGlZ_n-McQ67bFAH7VjnMsuVUFZYjN22-EXit1VoRU=w855-h641-no

Last edited:
I've seen Split get a bad reputation online, but I like it. Short boat ride over to Bol as well, which is paradise. Apparently Makarska is good as well nearby, but yet to go there.

In August we're flying to Split and then going on to Bol (on Brac). We've booked on a bit of a whim (Greece was proving too expensive to fly to) and don't know much about it. We're there for 8 days. Any recommendations?

Also, how easy is it to get a ferry from Split to Brac? Do you just rock up at the ferry port and buy a ticket and get on the boat, or is is best to book in advance? Is is best to get the longer ferry to Bol or the shorter ferry to the town on the north of Brac and taxi/bus it to Bol?

In August we're flying to Split and then going on to Bol (on Brac). We've booked on a bit of a whim (Greece was proving too expensive to fly to) and don't know much about it. We're there for 8 days. Any recommendations?

Also, how easy is it to get a ferry from Split to Brac? Do you just rock up at the ferry port and buy a ticket and get on the boat, or is is best to book in advance? Is is best to get the longer ferry to Bol or the shorter ferry to the town on the north of Brac and taxi/bus it to Bol?

You'll love it mate. Bol isn't that big really, but Zlatni Rat beach is probably the favourite beach I've visited worldwide. If you like hiking, there's a mountain that overlooks this beach called Vidova Gora, go early morning to avoid the sweltering heat, it's the highest peak on all of the Adriatic Islands. If walking isn't your thing, hire a car or moped, it's a must see while on Brac.

I've always got the catamaran ferry from Split to Supetar on the north of Brac, I think it takes about an hour. You can just rock up at the port in Split and buy tickets over the counter, there's loads of space on the boat usually, but get there early. The buses leave from Supetar to Bol about once an hour, and it's sometimes a bit of a case of how many clowns can you fit in a mini, but it works out a lot cheaper than jumping a taxi (be aware of the taxi drivers approaching you as soon as you get off the ferry), unless you share a cab with another group.

If you're not on too tight a budget, I'd recommend getting the ferry directly to Bol from Split, not that I've ever done it. Must admit though, despite the faff of getting on a cramped bus, the views are incredible as you drive round the mountains and start to see Bol appear in front of you. I was staying in Split when I went there for a day out, I liked it that much I cancelled my booking in Split and went back to Bol the next day and stayed in a really nice couple's property for a week, that they had converted into apartments and hostel rooms. Can't add much more than that I'm afraid, in regards to places to eat etc but the place is paradise when the sun is shining. Have a great time.

You'll love it mate. Bol isn't that big really, but Zlatni Rat beach is probably the favourite beach I've visited worldwide. If you like hiking, there's a mountain that overlooks this beach called Vidova Gora, go early morning to avoid the sweltering heat, it's the highest peak on all of the Adriatic Islands. If walking isn't your thing, hire a car or moped, it's a must see while on Brac.

I've always got the catamaran ferry from Split to Supetar on the north of Brac, I think it takes about an hour. You can just rock up at the port in Split and buy tickets over the counter, there's loads of space on the boat usually, but get there early. The buses leave from Supetar to Bol about once an hour, and it's sometimes a bit of a case of how many clowns can you fit in a mini, but it works out a lot cheaper than jumping a taxi (be aware of the taxi drivers approaching you as soon as you get off the ferry), unless you share a cab with another group.

If you're not on too tight a budget, I'd recommend getting the ferry directly to Bol from Split, not that I've ever done it. Must admit though, despite the faff of getting on a cramped bus, the views are incredible as you drive round the mountains and start to see Bol appear in front of you. I was staying in Split when I went there for a day out, I liked it that much I cancelled my booking in Split and went back to Bol the next day and stayed in a really nice couple's property for a week, that they had converted into apartments and hostel rooms. Can't add much more than that I'm afraid, in regards to places to eat etc but the place is paradise when the sun is shining. Have a great time.

Cheers. That's really helpful.

I was in Croatia last summer, agree about Omis and Trogir, both beautiful.

Personally thought that Split was a dump, the Old Town is stunning but other than that it’s just like any major city with rather grim areas and not a lot to look at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.