Dubrovnik

Wifes 40th this summer and planning a weekend away in August. Been to a lot of the more popular places in europe and looking for somewhere a bit different. Dubrovnik looks amazing, just wondering if anyone has been and would they recommend it?

That's my hometown, mate. Get prepared to hordes of people in the Old town, cruisers are killing all the joy of going through the Pile gate. Try to not go there in the summer morning, it' just not worth it, you can barely walk. It's pretty expensive too these days, I remember the times when I would go to work in the Old Town and had 2-3 coffees before and after the work, but now that would take probably half of my wage. but guess that's more of a local problem, might be relatively ok for UK economic standard. Late afternoon is probably the best part of a day to enjoy the Old Town, or late, late night when only drunken British and Irish are around, lol.

Dubrovnik is pretty nice but probably bit overrated too. Not much fun going on over there, but since you are in 40s, it could get away with it with you. My parents still live there and I'm only 200km away, but I am not enjoying going there recently. It's usually the summer when I go and I'm just sick of jams everywhere. It's pretty small town and it gets too, too many tourists. 20-30 years ago was easier, about the same crowds, but locals had far less cars, so you could at least go everywhere easily with public transport. Now it's a jam after jam wherever you go. Cruiser crowds and day visitors from Split area (specially on rainy days when they can't go to beaches) made it almost unbearable. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd probably never go.

To make it short - it's probably not bad idea to visit the place once, some nice history and architecture, but that should be it, I see no point in coming back.

Last edited:
That's my hometown, mate. Get prepared to hordes of people in the Old town, cruisers are killing all the joy of going through the Pile gate. Try to not go there in the summer morning, it' just not worth it, you can barely walk. It's pretty expensive too these days, I remember the times when I would go to work in the Old Town and had 2-3 coffees before and after the work, but now that would take probably half of my wage. but guess that's more of a local problem, might be relatively ok for UK economic standard. Late afternoon is probably the best part of a day to enjoy the Old Town, or late, late night when only drunken British and Irish are around, lol.

Dubrovnik is pretty nice but probably bit overrated too. Not much fun going on over there, but since you are in 40s, it could get away with it with you. My parents still live there and I'm only 200km away, but I am not enjoying going there recently. It's usually the summer when I go and I'm just sick of jams everywhere. It's pretty small town and it gets too, too many tourists. 20-30 years ago was easier, about the same crowds, but locals had far less cars, so you could at least go everywhere easily with public transport. Now it's a jam after jam wherever you go. Cruiser crowds and day visitors from Split area (specially on rainy days when they can't go to beaches) made it almost unbearable. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd probably never go.

To make it short - it's probably not bad idea to visit the place once, some nice history and architecture, but that should be it, I see no point in coming back.
Cheers pal, appreciate the advice. It’s august when we’re going away so actually thinking of somewhere else as based on what everyone says it’s going to be so busy that time of year and I was hoping for somewhere a bit less congested. Probably will put it on hold until next spring/early summer when we can go and enjoy it without fighting through hordes of people.

Contemplating now doing the NC500 and visiting northern coast of Scotland fir the first time ever.

Yeah, spring is not bad idea, probably before Easter too as that's the time when cruisers start to hit. March could still have a nice weather there with solid amount of sun.

Cheers pal, appreciate the advice. It’s august when we’re going away so actually thinking of somewhere else as based on what everyone says it’s going to be so busy that time of year and I was hoping for somewhere a bit less congested. Probably will put it on hold until next spring/early summer when we can go and enjoy it without fighting through hordes of people.

Contemplating now doing the NC500 and visiting northern coast of Scotland fir the first time ever.
If you still fancy Croatia Rovinj is really nice, some good restaurants etc, a nice vibe and some great day trips avaiable like venice and Lake Bled in Slovenia. Agree with previous posts re Cavtat as agood base for Dubrovnik area too...

Great place for a holiday. Didn’t stay in Dubrovnik, stayed in Lapad in hotel Kompass and it was spot on. About 8 mins by Taxi or regular bus service into Dubrovnik.
Staying in Hotel Kompass in July for the first time. I know the area well. Stayed in Lapad previously and Cavtat a couple of times. Whats the hotel like?

Staying in Hotel Kompass in July for the first time. I know the area well. Stayed in Lapad previously and Cavtat a couple of times. Whats the hotel like?
Very good and would quite happily go back there. When we went it had just had a full refurb, rooms were spacious, quiet and well appointed. Staff excellent and really friendly. Very cosmopolitan as regards guests. Only negative really is that the pool is a bit cold because of where it’s positioned, but when you have been brought up swimming in the Irish Sea it feels positively tropical.
Have stayed in some very expensive hotels around the world (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental etc) and whilst it’s obviously not at that level it is still a very good hotel.

Last edited:
Brilliant place to stay. Keep away from the old town whilst the cruise boat mobs are there, but do try the chair lift thingy to the hill overlooking the town. Mention Dzeko and they will love you ( even tho he is Bosnian not Croatian he has a huge following in Dubrovnik)
Don't argue with the waiters. They are hard as fuck and all fought in the war against Bosnia !

Go further down the coat to Montenegro.
Fly into Tivat and stay in Kotor.
Stunning & Cheap.
Fine place as long as you avoid the Russian hordes who descend on Montenegro in the summer. Out of season, agree it’s lovely.
Montenegro; unbelievably corrupt but very picturesque and safe, a true contradiction of a place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.