Dzeko, Tevez and the system

Solihull Samba Boys said:
BillyShears said:
The issue I reckon with the above is that I don't think Mancini will trust Carlos to play from a wide position...and to be perfectly honest I think Carlos won't play with any discipline at all if he's put wide...

In an ideal world I agree though that Silva should be the one 'in the hole' so to speak - with Carlos playing as he did for Argentina in the WC...

I reckon while Mario is injured our best system/lineup is the 4-3-1-2 that the Argies used in the World Cup. They had Messi just behind Higuain and Tevez with three central midfielders, even though central midfield is an unfamiliar position for Di Maria. Certainly I think we should play this against Birmingham because their pitch is quite narrow, and short, sharp passing will tear them apart. It's not as if Ferguson and Bowyer are getting any quicker and the loss of Scott Dann is a huge blow for them. Hopefully Mario is back by West Brom.

Something I've pondered recently is that when we were discussing formations/tactics on here in the summer everyone was convinced we were buying to play that formation (4312) as it's the one Roberto favoured at Inter as well...however we haven't really tried it this season even though our squad lends itself to playing that way. The reason I think we haven't is because I don't think Mancini thinks either of his full backs are ready for the amount of responsibility they would have playing with such a narrow midfield.

Regarding Carlos at the WC...for some reason I have a picture of him playing from the right - although maybe I was hallucinating...:- )

BillyShears said:
The issue I reckon with the above is that I don't think Mancini will trust Carlos to play from a wide position...and to be perfectly honest I think Carlos won't play with any discipline at all if he's put wide...

In an ideal world I agree though that Silva should be the one 'in the hole' so to speak - with Carlos playing as he did for Argentina in the WC...

That's why I mention the 4-1-4-1 as I think we will see pretty much a staggered midfield to counter Carlos playing slightly inside and nearer Dzeko whereas Balo will play from wide - bit hard to put on a diagram but I'll try....

........................Hart.......................
Zab...........Vince.......Boat........Kolarov
........................NDJ........................
............Yaya...................................
............................Dave............Balo..
.........Tevez.....................................
........................Dzeko......................

Best I can do, lol.

Rammy Blue said:
BillyShears said:

That's why I mention the 4-1-4-1 as I think we will see pretty much a staggered midfield to counter Carlos playing slightly inside and nearer Dzeko whereas Balo will play from wide - bit hard to put on a diagram but I'll try....

........................Hart.......................
Zab...........Vince.......Boat........Kolarov
........................NDJ........................
............Yaya...................................
............................Dave............Balo..
.........Tevez.....................................
........................Dzeko......................

Best I can do, lol.

You're right in what you say - and as I said earlier I think the front 4 (those 4 particularly) could interchange all the time in much the same way the Barca forward line does...

The crux though is that first Roberto has to dispense with playing De Jong and Barry...

BillyShears said:
Solihull Samba Boys said:
I reckon while Mario is injured our best system/lineup is the 4-3-1-2 that the Argies used in the World Cup. They had Messi just behind Higuain and Tevez with three central midfielders, even though central midfield is an unfamiliar position for Di Maria. Certainly I think we should play this against Birmingham because their pitch is quite narrow, and short, sharp passing will tear them apart. It's not as if Ferguson and Bowyer are getting any quicker and the loss of Scott Dann is a huge blow for them. Hopefully Mario is back by West Brom.

Something I've pondered recently is that when we were discussing formations/tactics on here in the summer everyone was convinced we were buying to play that formation (4312) as it's the one Roberto favoured at Inter as well...however we haven't really tried it this season even though our squad lends itself to playing that way. The reason I think we haven't is because I don't think Mancini thinks either of his full backs are ready for the amount of responsibility they would have playing with such a narrow midfield.

Regarding Carlos at the WC...for some reason I have a picture of him playing from the right - although maybe I was hallucinating...:- )

I think he played on the right for one game actually, maybe the first one, but I'm sure eventually he played more central.

Agree to an extent with you on the fullbacks, but I also think that given that both Kolarov and Boateng were injured for a long time, to change from 4-3-3 to 4-3-1-2 might have been a bit risky, especially given that Mancini clearly only trusted 2 strikers, and one of them missed a fair few games through injury and suspension. I suspect we may see more of the latter formation now we have 3 top strikers to choose from, although I think 4-2-3-1 will be the most used, certainly at home.

i think we dont have the players to play 4-2-3-1 becouse tevez dont want play winger and balo really isnt a winger.

and when you play 4-2-3-1 the two esternal of the mid 3 have to be wingers able to defend at least as much as attack

For the record, all of the things people are saying about Dzeko now, I said on January 23rd. I got almost universally berated, saying it was a knee jerk, I hadn't got a clue, and that Dzeko has got a great first touch.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think now would be a good time for some of the people who posted on this thread to offer me a full and unreserved apology (Wanderer 32 in particular).

Maybe it wasn't a knee jerk reaction, maybe I just understand football better than you and I am a better judge of player? For the record I also said Milner was a bad buy before we even bought him, not sure if many will disagree with that now either.

Thanks in advance

Some people on this website really know nothing about football. Seriously how does a player go from being one of the top strikers in Europe to "Santa Cruz esq" over night? The awnser is he doesn't. Anyone can see that he is just low on confidence, he has played 9 premier league games in his career and people are just getting on his back for no reason.

Line up for Wembley must be;

---------------------------------HART---------------------------------

------ZABELETA-----KOMPANY------LESCOTT-----KOLAROV------

-------------------Y.TOURE---DE-JONG---BARRY-------------------

-----------A.JOHNSON-----------------------------SILVA------------

---------------------------------DZEKO-------------------------------

But i'd rather we didn't play Barry, I would be horrified if Balotelli starts because we cannot run the risk of going down to 10 men are seeing another half hearted performance.

Blue Phil said:
Some people on this website really know nothing about football. Seriously how does a player go from being one of the top strikers in Europe to "Santa Cruz esq" over night? The awnser is he doesn't. Anyone can see that he is just low on confidence, he has played 9 premier league games in his career and people are just getting on his back for no reason.

But i'd rather we didn't play Barry, I would be horrified if Balotelli starts because we cannot run the risk of going down to 10 men are seeing another half hearted performance.

It really mustn't be that. I'd play exactly the same team but swap Dzeko for Balotelli. Vidic and Ferdinand are suseptable to raw pace, touch and movement. Balo has all of these, Dzeko has none. The only advantage I can see of Dzeko is his height, and I'd back Vidic against any player in the world in the air.

Dzeko may well have scored loads of goals in a second rate league. So did Kezman, Samaras, Kuyt, Macaroni, it's no guarantee of being good enough for the prem. Torres used to be great, but would you have started him against the s hite last night? The only man in the world who would is Amramovic, and that's why Chelsea are out.

Dzeko has only scored against Notts County and Aris Solonika and has been absolutely appalling in near enough every game for us and you have confidence in him to be our lone striker against the league winners? Do me a favour!

Tevez wont be here at the start of next season so we don't need to worry about the situation with fitting him in, and in my opinion the only way dzeko is going to get off the ground is if we have wide players whipping balls into him! He needs to get his speed up though!

Shaelumstash said:
Blue Phil said:

It really mustn't be that. I'd play exactly the same team but swap Dzeko for Balotelli. Vidic and Ferdinand are suseptable to raw pace, touch and movement. Balo has all of these, Dzeko has none. The only advantage I can see of Dzeko is his height, and I'd back Vidic against any player in the world in the air.

Dzeko may well have scored loads of goals in a second rate league. So did Kezman, Samaras, Kuyt, Macaroni, it's no guarantee of being good enough for the prem. Torres used to be great, but would you have started him against the s hite last night? The only man in the world who would is Amramovic, and that's why Chelsea are out.

Dzeko has only scored against Notts County and Aris Solonika and has been absolutely appalling in near enough every game for us and you have confidence in him to be our lone striker against the league winners? Do me a favour!

You are a clown. How is the Bundesliga a 2nd rate league please? The Dutch league is, where Kuyt and Samaras came from but it's nowhere near the level of the Bundesliga. Does that make the Prem a 2nd rate league because City got knocked out by the mighty Kiev?

Schalke, who are mid table Bundesliga are in the semi finals of the Champions league, some 2nd rate league there!

Oh and Dzeko scored twice against Man Utd in the champions league....are they a 2nd rate team aswell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.