e-bikes

Looked into them, way overpriced for what they are. The initial boost you get from setting off is nice but above 15mph you don't really notice it. Great for beginners, so-so for experienced riders and not worth the + £2000 cost (do not buy them cheap).

Avoid front hubs, they're death traps, mid-hubs are the most expensive but the most efficient and never, ever charge the battery unaccompanied.
I've been doing a lot of online research and there's plenty of e-bikes to choose from and plenty of cheap bikes not to choose. The Cube Kathmandu 750 is the bike that seems the best value for the bike specs but costs around 3k so it ain't cheap. It has mudguards a rear rack built in lights and front suspension with a shock absorbing seat post. A 750W battery to a Bosch 250W motor and 4 power settings. I don't want to ride and not get much exercise so I'll be in eco mode on the flat as i intend camping in some remote places, and eco mode will give me the best range.

I've been doing a lot of online research and there's plenty of e-bikes to choose from and plenty of cheap bikes not to choose. The Cube Kathmandu 750 is the bike that seems the best value for the bike specs but costs around 3k so it ain't cheap. It has mudguards a rear rack built in lights and front suspension with a shock absorbing seat post. A 750W battery to a Bosch 250W motor and 4 power settings. I don't want to ride and not get much exercise so I'll be in eco mode on the flat as i intend camping in some remote places, and eco mode will give me the best range.
That's what you want. Sounds like a fine piece of kit, especially the Bosch motor, though really it's up to you if you want to spend that much on it. If it's to help you ride and get fit then it'll be perfectly suited for your needs.

One word of advice I can give is, the boost you get from pedalling, even in it's eco mode, can be quite startling the first time you use it, at least that's been the case from the ones i've tested! It's immediate and chances are it might only ever be the only mode you need to use. You'll still get exercise regardless of the boost, it's mostly there just to take the strain off your legs and tendons when setting off. Once you're moving you'll still get the cardio training you're seeking, there's no worries there, just without the strain and wear and tear on your legs.

That's what you want. Sounds like a fine piece of kit, especially the Bosch motor, though really it's up to you if you want to spend that much on it. If it's to help you ride and get fit then it'll be perfectly suited for your needs.

One word of advice I can give is, the boost you get from pedalling, even in it's eco mode, can be quite startling the first time you use it, at least that's been the case from the ones i've tested! It's immediate and chances are it might only ever be the only mode you need to use. You'll still get exercise regardless of the boost, it's mostly there just to take the strain off your legs and tendons when setting off. Once you're moving you'll still get the cardio training you're seeking, there's no worries there, just without the strain and wear and tear on your legs.
Like i said i have a car but I've only done 5850 miles in 2 years so it may be an expensive luxury i can probably do without. I used to drive about 35k per year in my former job and I've seen a fair amount of the UK, so cycling around some of my favourite parts really appeals to me. I really like Dumfries and Galloway and it's fairly easy cycling. I'm not getting any younger and not as fit as I'd like so e-biking is a good way of getting fit and seeing the countryside at a pace i can appreciate it.

Me and Mrs CBJ both have a Halfords Cross City folding e bike, not cheap at £1000, but they will both fit in the back of the car.

I also have a folding (Non electric) Brompton, again not cheap at £1200, electric versions are £3600, but you can now buy a Swytch conversion kit.

IMG_6819 (1).JPGdownload (1).jpg

I bought the Cube Nature Hybrid 500 All Road bike in 2021 and it has been very good.
The boost is very handy when going uphill.
Otherwise, I use mainly the eco mode on flat.
I use the tour mode when riding on roads with uneven surfaces or when I'm a bit lazy.

I have a Dutch Gazelle, that's Hhhhhhhhhhhazeller. It's a proper e-bike 'cos yer only get juice when yer pedal and when yer get to 15mph yer on yer own muscle power. Yer see more and more bikes where the rider isn't pedalling and hammering on. They are great for taking on the hills, yer can murder 'em. I've been up Blackstone Edge a couple of times and up t'other end through Norden. Mrs Ewing and I tend to stick to tarmac. It was invented for bike riding! Canal towpaths are rather fine, too! The only downside is that the e-bikes are heavy, but yer don't need to carry 'em when yer pedalling!

Me and Mrs CBJ both have a Halfords Cross City folding e bike, not cheap at £1000, but they will both fit in the back of the car.

I also have a folding (Non electric) Brompton, again not cheap at £1200, electric versions are £3600, but you can now buy a Swytch conversion kit.

View attachment 101557View attachment 101559

Mrs Ewing and I have Brommies. I had mine converted to the Nano version. Brilliant, just brilliant. Again the difference between hers and mine is the weight, but you can configure the Brommie fold and wheel it half-folded!

Anyone have any experience of conversion kits?
Have a nice bike but don't use it as it's too hilly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.