Earliest City crowd song?

As a kid I remember Grandad, Aunts and Uncles singing 'Who Said City Couldn't Play?', usually after they'd had a few sherbets in one of Hulme's many fine hostelries..

Then in the 1962/63 sesson I remember Blues all around Maine Road taking up the chant sung ad infinitum by Brazilian fans at the 1962 World Cup tournament in Chile:

'Bra-sil, cha-cha-cha/ Bra-sil, ch-cha-cha' (also 'Pe-le, cha-cha-cha etc')

But we all sang it using Alex Harley's name as he was our star centre-forward on his way to scoring bags full of goals (though it didn’t prevent us getting relegated.. 'typical City!') as in:

'Har-ley, cha-cha-cha..etc'

Eeeee! 'Appy days!

Last edited:
As a kid I remember Grandad, Aunts and Uncles singing 'Who Said City Couldn't Play?', usually after they'd had a few sherbets in one of Hulme's many fine hostelries..

Then in the 1962/63 sesson I remember Blues all around Maine Road taking up the chant sung ad infinitum by Brazilian fans at the 1962 World Cup tournament in Chile:

'Bra-sil, cha-cha-cha/ Bra-sil, ch-cha-cha' (also 'Pe-le, cha-cha-cha etc'

But we all sang it using Alex Harley's name as he was our star centre-forward on his way to scoring bags full of goals (though it didn’t prevent us getting relegated.. 'typical City!') as in:

'Har-ley, cha-cha-cha..etc'

Eeeee! 'Appy days!
Great story mate

Remember the Johnny Crossan one.

Pardoe, Pardoe,
He's off to Mexico,
With Bell & Lee and Summerbee,
Pardoe, Pardoe, Pardoe, Pardoe.

Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer,
Is it true what people say,
We're gonna win the football league?

Sha la la la Summerbee

Rival fans:- Who the fuckin hell is he?

The best centre forward in historee

Remember the Johnny Crossan one.

Pardoe, Pardoe,
He's off to Mexico,
With Bell & Lee and Summerbee,
Pardoe, Pardoe, Pardoe, Pardoe.

Joe Mercer, Joe Mercer,
Is it true what people say,
We're gonna win the football league?

Sha la la la Summerbee

Rival fans:- Who the fuckin hell is he?

The best centre forward in historee
Georgia Best as got VD

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.