Earliest City crowd song?

More seriously, there's one that was sung about Billy Meredith on the terraces, around the time of the 1904 Cup Final:

Oh I wish I was you Billy Meredith
I wish I was you, I envy you, indeed I do.
It ain't that you're tricky with your feet,
But it's those centres you send in,
Which Turnbull then heads in.
I wish I was you, I wish I was you,
Indeed I do.

Last edited:
I'm sure that Gary James has previously mentioned an old Music Hall song that City used to sing at Hyde Road after the Main Stand had burnt down and United had wanted to charge us an extortionate rent for using their stadium.

Something like I wouldn't share my house with you...????

as our great historian Dr @Gary James will vouch, the first song on record sung by the city fans was

wilf wild went to ozzel twizzel in his ford model Teeeee eeeeee ,brought us back a man called Bray whose first name was jackieeeeee

you dont know how much work i put into that :), that deserves at lease 200 likes :)

My uncle who died a few years back told me that the Kippax sang who said city couldn't play in the 1930s. He also said that was the chorus and it had quite a few other versus. My dad also.used to talk about singing in the " boys corner" between the Main Stand and Platt Lane during wartime friendlies .

One of the latter verses was:

Bell passed to Lee
Lee passed it back
Bell did a flying kick
And knocked Stepney flat
Who said City couldn't play
City couldn't play football"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.