Earliest City match attended by a forum member

30th September 1970 Belfast (Windsor park) Linfield lost2-1 European cup winners cup.

City v Leyton orient dec ‘65 Nelly hat trick
Also remember season before played them first home game of season won 6-0 Jimmy Murray got 3,night game and new floodlights made mistake of looking up at lights and seeing spots for a couple of minutes,just 12 at the time and sat in the Platt lane.

This should be on a different thread I know but the earliest games anyone I have interviewed could talk about with definite knowledge of being there came from a guy called Harry Hughes who attended games towards the end of World War One and spoke vividly of games v Utd in 1920 and against Burnley & Bradford Park Avenue later that season. His memory was spot on and he mentioned stuff about the games that wasn't common knowledge (not in the 1990s when I was interviewing him anyway). When I researched the newspapers for that 1920-21 season everything he had mentioned was accurate, including a confrontation between the Bradford keeper and City fans giving him abuse.

This should be on a different thread I know but the earliest games anyone I have interviewed could talk about with definite knowledge of being there came from a guy called Harry Hughes who attended games towards the end of World War One and spoke vividly of games v Utd in 1920 and against Burnley & Bradford Park Avenue later that season. His memory was spot on and he mentioned stuff about the games that wasn't common knowledge (not in the 1990s when I was interviewing him anyway). When I researched the newspapers for that 1920-21 season everything he had mentioned was accurate, including a confrontation between the Bradford keeper and City fans giving him abuse.
Do you remember anyone telling you about a game where George Hannah wore a metal corset because of a back injury Gary?

1963: my mum was pregnant with me ;-)
After that is was the cup game at Gigg Lane when Bury beat us so 1971/2 ish.

I can end this thread here and now, so no further speculation is of any use.

I was taken to see City's first home League match when the Football League resumed in 1946. City 3 Bury 1 at Maine Road. September 4th, if I remember correctly.

I was quite small at the time, I hasten to add. It was a damp gloomy day, early evening kick-off.

Beat that, youngsters. Still going strong.
FOC.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.