Early Doors TV Show

I love this program but can't decide whether it is good or not.

Many episodes, especially in series 2, feel like it's a sketch show that has been woven into a program.

I'll tell you what though, John Henshaw gave an astonishing performance and managed to perfectly portray his relationship with his daughter and her "real Dad". I still think that this is one of the stand out acting performances in the last 20 years of British sitcoms and still puts a lump in your throat watching years later. Maybe it's because I'm a Manc and we all know guys like Ken the Barman who work hard and don't want to let people down but he was brilliant in this. Would be half the program without him.

Damocles said:
I love this program but can't decide whether it is good or not.

Many episodes, especially in series 2, feel like it's a sketch show that has been woven into a program.

I'll tell you what though, John Henshaw gave an astonishing performance and managed to perfectly portray his relationship with his daughter and her "real Dad". I still think that this is one of the stand out acting performances in the last 20 years of British sitcoms and still puts a lump in your throat watching years later. Maybe it's because I'm a Manc and we all know guys like Ken the Barman who work hard and don't want to let people down but he was brilliant in this. Would be half the program without him.

Yes, the bedroom scene certainly does that.

The finale to the first episode with Ken is so funny -

"Right, that's it. Who's wrote wanker on my sign" :))))

The bit that got me was when he was sat at the table talking to Liam after the Big Boys Beano.

The writing was very good at that bit too and he kept trying to move the conversation towards it, like it was on his mind. My favourite bit of it was when he was talking to Liam saying "yeah, she won't be fooled by that will she Liam?" several times almost trying to convince himself but asking a guy who he had previously slagged off and had only recently met her. The writing made it sound like useless badgering but the performance allowed you to see that he was asking this johnny-come-lately because he needed reassurance and was reduced to almost pleading out of desperation as he felt her slipping away from him.

It sounds massively fucking pretentious in text but watching the scene and knowing the episodes beforehand it makes sense. Henshaw was great in that scene. This is one of the reasons why I like the program, it has depth on the second and third time around that wasn't there when you first watched it and were laughing about Frey Bentos.

It was Craig Cash and the lad that played Duffy who wrote it if I remember.

This thread motivated me to put the first series on yesterday afternoon, as good as I remembered. Some little subtle one liners that I'd missed previously.

If there is a one off special, I just hope it does the show justice

Always liked it when they did the football card and donated it to Eddie and his wife for their gas bill, lots of dust in the room that day.

Blue Maverick said:
Always liked it when they did the football card and donated it to Eddie and his wife for their gas bill, lots of dust in the room that day.
And they rang everyone to thank them and needed another card for the phone bill :smile:

Not sure if already mentioned but there is a twitter account as below in support of bringing it back.

Joe and Duffy ‏ @early__doors
A little twitter campaign to get another series or xmas special of the popular comedy EARLY DOORS by CRAIG CASH and PHIL MEALEY, please show your support

The 2 series' were ace, but to make a 3rd or a special one off, isn't right just leave it be, so many stand out characters and excellent writing will be wiped out if the new one doesn't live up to the hype

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.