Eddie van Halen RIP

Gutted. Their eponymous debut album doesn't have a bad track on it, and will always remain in my Top 10 albums of all time.

Two musical heroes of mine, both dead within 12 months of each other (Neil Peart)*
* Still absolutely gutted about Peart...

What a lot of people don't realise, he played the outstanding guitar solo on Michael Jacksons song "Beat It"

I think a lot of people do know that but less well known I think is that he also rearranged part of the song with Quincy Jones while Jackson was elsewhere. Jackson approved of the changes.

One of the few times i can remember exactly the time and place I first heard a record. The debut on release, at my mates house. It hit like a freight train. Just kept flipping it for hours. Couldnt believe what we were hearing. Unlike anything else at time. Classic.

Gene "discovered" them.

It is a nice interview.

People think Simmons is an ahole (and he can be, by his own admission) but he's a decent bloke if you meet him, which I have.

I always thought Gene would be more of a laugh than Paul.

I always thought Gene would be more of a laugh than Paul.

Possibly. I think Gene is the more gregarious. Paul did sign autographs though after the first Kiss gig in Manchester when he exited the Free Trade Hall sans make-up (in the days when no one published pics of them without the slap). Peter Criss snuck past and onto the coach before anyone realised. Gene was unmissable and pretty much announced himself but security wouldn't let anyone near him.

On their 1980 tour my friends and I had backstage passes for all four of their gigs and we did get the chance to chat with Gene, briefly, but he was quite visible; didn't see much of the others. My main memory, which I've recounted before I'm sure, is him holding court and slating Girl, the support band, because they pulled out of the final show at Wembley due to lead singer Phil Lewis having a cold. Gene was not impressed, being very much of the show must go attitude.

People love to slate Kiss but one thing about Simmons and Stanley is they are bright guys and extremely professional.

Anyway, Simmons was obviously very fond of Eddie but he and Dave is another story.

My main memory, which I've recounted before I'm sure, is him holding court and slating Girl, the support band, because they pulled out of the final show at Wembley due to lead singer Phil Lewis having a cold. Gene was not impressed, being very much of the show must go attitude.
I was a huge fan of Girl. Like Japan before them (Girl's Gerry Laffy confessed they did 'borrow' the logo image from them) they got grief from the denim n dandruff brigade for how they looked. Ironically the same numpties that took to Hanoi Rocks and the US Poodle rockers with an OTT version of the same image.

Reactions: OB1
I was a huge fan of Girl. Like Japan before them (Girl's Gerry Laffy confessed they did 'borrow' the logo image from them) they got grief from the denim n dandruff brigade for how they looked. Ironically the same numpties that took to Hanoi Rocks and the US Poodle rockers with an OTT version of the same image.
Remember seeing them support UFO, they got booed. As you say the same crowd that took to Hanoi, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue. Plus , would have thought many of those that found UFO came, like me to it from the glam of Sweet etc.

Possibly. I think Gene is the more gregarious. Paul did sign autographs though after the first Kiss gig in Manchester when he exited the Free Trade Hall sans make-up (in the days when no one published pics of them without the slap). Peter Criss snuck past and onto the coach before anyone realised. Gene was unmissable and pretty much announced himself but security wouldn't let anyone near him.

On their 1980 tour my friends and I had backstage passes for all four of their gigs and we did get the chance to chat with Gene, briefly, but he was quite visible; didn't see much of the others. My main memory, which I've recounted before I'm sure, is him holding court and slating Girl, the support band, because they pulled out of the final show at Wembley due to lead singer Phil Lewis having a cold. Gene was not impressed, being very much of the show must go attitude.

People love to slate Kiss but one thing about Simmons and Stanley is they are bright guys and extremely professional.

Anyway, Simmons was obviously very fond of Eddie but he and Dave is another story.

I’ve seen Kiss twice.
Revenge tour in Sheffield Arena w/ Danger Danger (yes! remember them!!) in ‘92 & the reunion make-up tour Manchester Arena ‘96 with Verve Pipe.

Both gigs were great, Sheffield was only around half full but they put on a great show (infact the stage show was the Hot In The Shade sphinx), one noticeable moment was Eric Singer getting booed as he was introduced- he’s no Eric Carr.

Manchester was sold out & to see the original members in make-up was fantastic.

It’s interesting you hinted at Gene & Dave not getting along, but Dave did support them earlier in the year.
Gene obviously has/had issues with other artists, but I think as he’s getting older, he’s definitely mellowing & not holding grudges.
I mean....Vinnie Vincent for one.

..I just have to say that Vinnies first album Invasion, is probably one of my favorites of all time, the guy can write a song-& play guitar, but batshit crazy!

Me and da boyzz were massive Girl fans. Remember buying the first album at the shop on the University of Nottingham campus. Second one wasn't so good.

We went to see them play a few gigs at clubs / uni's as well as various support slots. Phil Lewis definitely recognised us before we spent time chatting to him backstage at the Kiss gigs. Another story I've recounted numerous times is when we were down in London to go to some gigs - might well have been Van Halen at the Rainbow and Styx at Hammersmith - we ended up pushing Phil Collen's broken down old banger up Charing Cross Rd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.