Ederson - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still amazed that half a season in, with direct comparisons to be made, there's still some saying Alisson is better even with his feet because... "he's Brazil's number 1". This was mainly opinion driven from the Serie A fans, the media and of course those "cheeky" Liverpool fans, as they courted him during last season and it's stuck since.

I feel the whole national team situation is a little unfair on Ederson, in that too much is being made of it. Alisson is almost a year older for a start but I'd read the main reason for Alisson getting the nod first was because they chose different paths in their development. Brazil tend to favour those playing in Brazil, much as Spain will do and many other countries.

So I looked into it properly and here is a very brief summary of their career paths:

Ederson's path
Club: Benfica U17, Benfica U19, GD Ribeirão, Rio Ave FC, back to Benfica(2015), City(2017).
Nation Team Setup: Brazil U23
Full National Team Debut: October 2017 (Manchester City player)

Moved Portugal in his development. Has never really had a look in, other than securing the No2 spot, because they simply had to take notice.

Alisson's path
Club: Sport Club Internacional U20, S C Internacional B, S C Internacional, Roma(2016), Liverpool(2018)
Nation Team Setup: Brazil U17, Brazil U21
Full National Team Debut: October 2015 (S C Internacional player)

Stayed in Brazil in his development, got his first call up while still playing in Brazil. Has a good working relationship with the Brazil national team GK coach Taffarel, which started from is first call up and continued in his tricky first season at Roma.

Personally, I haven't seen anything to suggest Alisson is a better shot stopper, like we were led to believe. He's good but then, so is Ederson. There's probably nothing in it on the shot stopping but I suppose he'd have to be having a pretty poor season before some are willing take it back. He has improved them and proved to be their best option available. He is in no way better on the ball or has better distribution than Ederson though, there's nobody quite like Ederson around and I'm glad we've got him.

Maybe it's a blessing for us, that he wasn't Brazil's number 1 from the off because he might not have been available to us when we came looking otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm still amazed that half a season in, with direct comparisons to be made, there's still some saying Alisson is better even with his feet because... "he's Brazil's number 1". This was mainly opinion driven from the Serie A fans, the media and of course those "cheeky" Liverpool fans, as they courted him during last season and it's stuck since.

I feel the whole national team situation is a little unfair on Ederson, in that too much is being made of it. Alisson is almost a year older for a start but I'd read the main reason for Alisson getting the nod first was because they chose different paths in their development. Brazil tend to favour those playing in Brazil, much as Spain will do and many other countries.

So I looked into it properly and here is a very brief summary of their career paths:

Ederson's path
Club: Benfica U17, Benfica U19, GD Ribeirão, Rio Ave FC, back to Benfica(2015), City(2017).

Moved Portugal in his development. Has never really had a look in, other than securing the No2 spot, because they simply had to take notice.

Alisson's path
Club: Sport Club Internacional U20, S C Internacional B, S C Internacional, Roma(2016), Liverpool(2018)

Stayed in Brazil in his development, got his first call up while still playing in Brazil. He has a good working relationship with the Brazil national team GK coach Taffarel, which started from is first call up and continued in his tricky first season at Roma.

Personally, I haven't seen anything to suggest Alisson is a better shot stopper, like we were led to believe. He's good but then, so is Ederson. There's probably nothing in it on the shot stopping but I suppose he'd have to be having a pretty poor season before some are willing take it back. He has improved them and proved to be their best option available. He is in no way better on the ball or has better distribution than Ederson though, there's nobody quite like Ederson around and I'm glad we've got him.

Maybe it's a blessing for us, that he wasn't Brazil's number 1 from the off because he might not have been available to us, when we were looking to replace Bravo.

Both were called up to the provisional Brazil squad for Copa America in 2016, Ederson had to withdraw due to injury, Allison played, the rest is history.

As an aside, Bravo won the award for best keeper at that tournament.

Ederson's path

Alisson's path

Stayed in Brazil in his development, got his first call up while still playing in Brazil. He has a good working relationship with the Brazil national team GK coach Taffarel, which started from is first call up and continued in his tricky first season at Roma.

Maybe it's a blessing for us, that he wasn't Brazil's number 1 from the off because he might not have been available to us when we came looking otherwise.

Liverpool fans back their own player. Fair enough.

Both were called up to the provisional Brazil squad for Copa America in 2016, Ederson had to withdraw due to injury, Allison played, the rest is history.

As an aside, Bravo won the award for best keeper at that tournament.
Wasn't aware of that but Alisson's debut was definitely in 2015. A 3-1 win vs Venezuela in a WC qualifier.

Liverpool fans back their own player. Fair enough.
It's just Liverpool fans, not the media at large, who have fed it into the mainstream fans thinking?

Also just backing? Not doing our own keeper down?

Bit of a weird take on it from a City fan but fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.