Elano's Depature

For your dissection;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2009/July/Kids-to-benefit-from-Elano-departure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/20 ... -departure</a>

“The thing with Ela is that I couldn’t guarantee he would play every game and I think that he is the type of player who wants to play week in and week out and if he doesn’t do so then he gets frustrated with his situation,” explained the boss.

“It is a big year for him with the World Cup at the end of it and he wants to be involved with Brazil so I think he came to the conclusion that the move was a good one when it was presented.

“From our point of view we have other players who can operate in that position with Stephen Ireland and Shaun Wright-Phillips on the right and we have a young talent in Vladi Weiss, too, and the move frees up his development path.

“Those were all the considerations we took on board when we allowed Elano to go."

I think Elano got unfair criticism from some of the city fans. To anybody watching, it was obvious that tackling wasn't his strong point, and indeed this shouldn't have been expected of him. I've watched games where he has tried to get back and make a challange just for the opposition to run rings about him. He should have played to his strengths, his vision and attacking play. Nobody bemoaned the defenders for not creating enough plays or scoring enough goals did they?
I'm a season ticket holder, and I remember many of Elano's passes going wild or being intercepted. The guys in the seats around me would groan or shout 'too clever!', but he was the only one willing to try something other than the simple pass back.

Although I still beleive Elano to be the most talented player to ever pull on a city shirt, i think the deal was right for both himself and the club. I can't, however, help but think that the situation prior to the transfer could have been dealt better by both parties.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.